MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Arizona switches off speed camera network

Arizona switches off speed camera network - Forums [Biker Match] Arizona switches off speed camera network - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Arizona switches off speed camera network

OFFICIALS IN Arizona have decommissioned the US state's entire speed camera network after complaints they were only in place to generate revenue and intrude on people's privacy.

The scheme has generated more than $76 million (£50 million) since its introduction in October 2008 and has seen a 19 per cent drop in fatal collisions on on the state's highways. However, anti-camera campaigners have spoken out against what they believe are Big Brother Police tactics.

The situation turned ugly in April 2009 when a motorcyclist shot dead a mobile camera operative in a drive-by killing.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 23/07/2010 11:24  

'The situation turned ugly in April 2009 when a motorcyclist shot dead a mobile camera operative in a drive-by killing.'

Well thats one way to protest I suppose. Now fellow BM'ers lets not stoop to these tactics in order to get rid of the 'Gatso Threat'.

Update Reply
DG99 @ 23/07/2010 11:30  

Hmmm .. would that work on our roads ?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/07/2010 11:47  

I always understood that the more gun-minded American states had given up on fixed automatic cameras since they were invariably shot.

Shooting a camera operator is a bit extreme but with Government policy not to allow so called 'safety camera' partnerships a rake off from the fines, camera operators will soon be on the dole. I hope DWP treats them suitably harshly and they remain unemployable.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 23/07/2010 12:45  

I think shooting's just a touch extreme.
Perhaps a more humane method over here?
Was the "shooter" from Alabama?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 23/07/2010 13:48  

"with Government policy not to allow so called 'safety camera' partnerships a rake off from the fines, camera operators will soon be on the dole" From MCN's website yesterday: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/Gene...edundancy/ "Speed camera staff are facing redundancy due to Government road safety funding cuts.Camera bosses in Devon and Cornwall are making half their staff redundant after budgets cuts of 26%.The move means camera activity and fine numbers will reduce." Shame - not

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 23/07/2010 14:32  

So...all the money that the government woulda made, from the fines, won't be made anymore, so what or who is going to pay for the loss in revenue? No good applauding the end of the cameras and the fines that went with them, if they are going to hike up something else, such as road fund tax, etc yadda yadda.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/07/2010 15:39  

My guess is Kwak, it'll be incorporated into benefit cuts.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 23/07/2010 15:51  

I'm already on the poverty line! What more do they want, BLOOD?! Matt!? Do ya want a lodger? lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/07/2010 16:11  

I'd think that's about right TBH.
Or is that me just being cynical?

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 23/07/2010 16:16  

The new council in Derby has got rid of a few speed cameras too !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/07/2010 22:56  

I think sentencing camera operators to long-term unemployment with minimal benefits is far less humane and far better deserved than shooting them.

The shooter of the Arizona camera operator could equally have been from Montana or Texas as Alabama.

As for where local authorities recoup their revenue, they shouldn't need to since it was ring fenced for 'road safety' which predominantly meant more cameras although there were a few constructive road safety schemes. At last the road safety = speed management bubble has been burst and maybe we'll get some interventions which genuinely contribute to road safety.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 26/07/2010 07:26  

Its in Arizona!!! different culture, not the UK, nothing to do with us!!

Nothing wrong with safety cameras at all traffic lights in my opinion, if it effects benefits, tough! road users have to pay for the unemployed???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/07/2010 10:15  

To be fair everybody has to pay for the unemployed, even the unemployed themselves, as everybody pays tax in some form.

I agree with the comment about cameras at all traffic lights, I think traffic light cameras are very different to speed enforcement cameras. Jumping red lights is bloody dangerous, while going 60 in a 50 limit is a lot less so. Guess they wouldn't make enough money from the traffic lights though.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/07/2010 10:37  

Very good point GBeldon! It's an area with many pros and cons to be fair!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/07/2010 23:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email