MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

number plate law?

number plate law? - Forums [Biker Match] number plate law? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

number plate law?

I recently been told riding with a small number plate now gets you 3 points on your licence is this true, I know the fine has gone up from £30 to £60 Can this be true?

Update Reply
firebladepaul37 @ 14/06/2010 18:20  

I met someone on Saturday who had been pulled and got a £60 fine, he never mentioned about penalty points though - I will try find out, I'm concerned because I've just changed mine

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 14/06/2010 18:27  

Take a look at this page.It details the size requirements for bikes, which is a bit smaller than cars. It also says up to £1000 fine, but there's no mention of points.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/06/2010 18:33  

There is no offence code for numberplate offences. Not even under construction and use.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 14/06/2010 19:06  

Just found a reference on direct.gov from last June saying that the fixed penalty's going up from £30 to £60. No mention of points there either.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/06/2010 19:07  

Let's hope there's no legislators reading this who'll soon realise we're happy to risk a fine for having a small plate because it looks better, but not if it comes to points which cost us lots on insurance

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/06/2010 20:07  

Got my old plate on now as i have a race can on mine and loud it is too

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/06/2010 20:34  

It's also an MOT failure if you leave it on.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 14/06/2010 20:42  

as I thought, had my small plate on for the Isle of man but think I'll put the snow shovel back on now im back to be on the safe side, lets face it we dont need anymore excuses for them to pull us do we

Update Reply
firebladepaul37 @ 15/06/2010 00:03  

I was chatting to a nice copper the other day who was admiring the pipes on my bike as he has a Sportster "Vance and Hines straight shots?" ..."no officer, they would be far too loud " at which he just smiled, and gave me the thumbs up as I rode off displaying my small number plate. What a nice man

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/06/2010 00:54  

Maybe I'm old and boring, but I've still got the legal sized one on my daily bike, and have to have a legal one on my trackbike because it always gets pulled on the road for no lights/indicators/mirrors and full race bodywork/race seat. I don't want to give them any excuse to nick me - £60 is half the cost of a sticky rear tyre. It is actually fully MOT'd, but for daylight use only.

On the daily bike (Kawasaki Versys) a small plate would look crap cos the Scottoiler touring resevoir sits behind it. My TS250 trailie has a legal sized one too, come to think of it.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 15/06/2010 10:55  

I'm definitely old and boring then, Iv'e got the plate that came with my bike 4 years ago, complete with dealer name and number on the bottom and have no reason to change it for a beer mat sized plate. £60 is about 3 tanks of petrol as well. Or a beer and curry night.

Update Reply
scubasteve @ 15/06/2010 19:29  

According to the MOT station it will be a fine and 3 points, they reckon the law is changing later this year. Myself i cant be bothered with the hassle and giving them any more reasons to stop me.

Update Reply
Kwak_fan @ 15/06/2010 19:37  

It used to be a non endorsable fixed penalty fine. the offence was "failure to display a valid licence plate" I believe that the law is changing to because of the number of plate that has font styles and spacing that make automatic number plate recognition difficult.

Update Reply
Phil @ 15/06/2010 19:46  

I'm with you KF, why give them more reasons to stop us.

Update Reply
Doh Boy @ 15/06/2010 20:44  

ive seen this question asked on other sites and to be honest it just aint worth it,its a red flag to pc plod gives them an excuse to pull you over,yes the snow shovel looks crap but your not going to be pulled over for it

Update Reply
russh1400 @ 17/06/2010 09:27  

just stick it on with velcro..... then you can whip it off when you park up or wanna play silly..... no parking tickets, no speeding tickets, and where there wandering about filming bikes in the car parks as they do, they cant touch you.

Update Reply
DeeStruction @ 20/06/2010 13:03  

A group of us got pulled the other week, everyone with black and silver plates got recitification notices but no points or fines. I've got a 5"x7" yellow plate and the plod said 'that's ok, numbers a little small but don't worry about it, on your way'

Update Reply
giantdog @ 01/07/2010 11:50  

We are so lucky to live in such a crime free country that the plod has so much free time on their hands to bother with such petty matters. What will they have left to do when we have all been banned

Update Reply
micksaway @ 01/07/2010 16:23  

Give it a couple of months and they won't have any money to prosecute anyone. Probably be less coppers as well. Less money to run and fix static cameras. less money to run mobile cameras as well. everyone will be out of work and we'll get inner city riots. IT feels just like the eighties again. Except i haven't got me GS1000.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 01/07/2010 18:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email