MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Speed detectors - if touring France

Speed detectors - if touring France - Forums [Biker Match] Speed detectors - if touring France - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Speed detectors - if touring France

From this weeks MCN: Speed limits are being more rigourously enforced in Europe these days, especially France. The French have also banned speed device detectors and will confiscate any they find on vehicles. Some riders are worried that their existing satnavs loaded with software that shows where European Safety Cameras are will be at risk. If you are taking the latest generation of sat nav with a real-time radar detection device fitted, then they take a dim view of those and it's confiscation and a £500 fine. But for "standard" satnav they would be confiscating millions of them over there. In fact, the authorities out there are legally obliged to publicise where their mobile units will be sited in the region, so if you have got a basic grasp of the lingo the local newspapers will have an article under the heading "La Radars" listing their location.

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 21/05/2010 09:30  

If I'd spent a fortune on a fancy sat-nav, I'd take a pretty dim view of having it confiscated. Tho, as French cops carry guns, doubt I'd argue And as hobbits haven't progressed beyond maps and instructions taped to the tank - not really a problem

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 21/05/2010 09:34  

Maps!!! We haven't progressed passed star navigation in this part of middle England.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 21/05/2010 09:54  

I cant even read yet just take a lucky guess

Update Reply
JP @ 21/05/2010 16:08  

I just get Squashy or Bluey to point !!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 21/05/2010 16:43  

moving to news forum. Thanks for the info

Update Reply
Matt @ 21/05/2010 17:31  

I believe that it is incorrect.

If it forbidden to use radar detectors in France but it is forbidden in most of Europe ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_detector ). They will confiscate it on the spot and if it cannot be removed, they simply seize the car.

In France, you can use a radar locator, even real time, without any problem. The real time one receive new radar locations through the GSM network as soon as they are reported by another motorist.

Just my 2 euro cents...

Update Reply
Mr.Frenchie @ 13/06/2010 19:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email