MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Let's Get HFG's Bike Sorted!

Let's Get HFG's Bike Sorted! (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Let's Get HFG's Bike Sorted! (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Let's Get HFG's Bike Sorted!

has anyone checked the float bowl? i had a flake of dirt in one of my bikes once fine until running on main jets then dirt sucked up and blocked main jet. throttle off, dirt drops away and runs fine.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 06/07/2009 19:44  

They've had the (admittedly old) carb off and stripped several times Blues. I helped on one occasion and it was absolutely spotless. I agree though Blues, my first thought was that perhaps one of the jets was partially blocked. However, give it more air (remove the air filter and box) and it's off like a scalded cat, which suggests over-fuelling. It's very odd. I feel for HFG, I really do.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 06/07/2009 19:55  

Hi Steela,

Sorry my suggestions have not help. Looks like Nitro and friends are covering all the bases. Weird...as it has been said, there is not much more to check. I would check the carb too, as it could have been 'set-up'or modified for some reason, the good old Haynes manual will have the right jet sizes.

Sean

Update Reply
finbarred @ 07/07/2009 11:42  

Have you tried talking to it? runs away

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2009 12:03  

Hi Sean - yeah looks like the carb needs to come off again!! & LC - yep - I've tried talking to her, yelling at her, bribing her but she still aint for playing!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 07/07/2009 12:38  

I doubt both carbs will have the same problem. Have you checked the fuel supply to the carb? It could be fuel tap blocked, or if it is a vacuum tap could be a split vacuum pipe. Just two things that havn't been mentioned yet.

Update Reply
timhall @ 07/07/2009 23:14  

One more thought.Have you checked the inlet manifol. Any leaks here would make it run lean and might explain why it runs OK with the choke on.

Update Reply
timhall @ 07/07/2009 23:19  

Dunno what happened to the post I put Stella But I did say the only thing left was for you to get Mavis a boyfirend !! Bless her she is all frustrated & taking it out on you

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/07/2009 13:54  

Hi Tim - yep we've checked fuel supply which seems good...inlet manifold...errr......DAVE???? have we checked that? Shell - I want a boyfriend before she gets one!! - mind you if it means that she'll start running ok so's I can get out ...........how about it I ger her a comfort blanket instead??....

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 08/07/2009 14:00  

Or one of those 'mags' On serious note, hope you sort her soon

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/07/2009 14:14  

So if the bike runs like a gud un with the air filter off etc then yr problem must be with fuel rather than electrics ... anyone checked the mixture screw on the carb? i.e. is it working properly *runs away quick just in case they have*

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 08/07/2009 14:36  

lol FG - yep been there done that.....although not with the new carb - so that's the first thing to do (again! lol)

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 08/07/2009 14:39  

Yes Stella .. the inlet manifold rubber was checked with carb cleaner and WD40 for leaks .. None at all .. I do think it`s running lean .. Anyone near to check the main jet ?

Update Reply
nitro70 @ 08/07/2009 18:51  

errr....you??

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 08/07/2009 19:50  

lol

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/07/2009 20:06  

I still can't imagine both carbs have same jetting problem. So I would assume jets are OK. Try checking compression with a guage. If air is getting in, via leaky head gasket for example, that would lean mixture off.

Update Reply
timhall @ 09/07/2009 23:00  

Eventually fixed my problem by taking it to a fixer with rolling road and DYNAjet tunig equipment and found a faulty coil. While I was tinkering myself I had lots of advice from people, much of which has been mentioned here, but one thing I havent seen mentioned yet is the Diaphragm. Even the slightest pinhole would give symptoms you are getting. As you've changed carb and tap this should be fine, but worth a check.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/07/2009 11:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email