MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

petition to remove the Swerve part of the new test

petition to remove the Swerve part of the new test (2) - Forums [Biker Match] petition to remove the Swerve part of the new test (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

petition to remove the Swerve part of the new test

From a safety point of view, I don''t have an issue with the swerve test. What I do have a problem with is the fact that the requirements are the same regardless of conditions. This has to be wrong and as with many issues related to "test standards" those in the DSA that decide on these things clearly have not thought hard enough about this.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 05/06/2009 22:28  

TeeCee,will def look into the possability of setting up at least the swerve part at the rally,could be very interesting to see how many experianced riders manage it Tickets on sale now by the way,see events

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2009 22:45  

I have to agree with both TC and Geoff, if that makes sense The more experienced the rider is in a "variety" of conditions, the better prepared they will be for "unexpected" events/hazards. As an "EX" instructor, I will watch this thread with interest and post my 2 pennorth later Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 05/06/2009 22:47  

As far as i can make out the practical part of the test has'nt changed much at all over the last 30yrs or so , what has changed a lot is the written test / monkey puzzle... due to new road laws , signage and various conditions .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 06/06/2009 07:59  

Must admit, I''m all for the swerve to be included. As Shell has said, it''s posible on a 125, it was just a matter of a slight clip, and this is from a girl with a messed up shoulder and painful ankle still. I''d love to try it, but know that I have successfully done it 2-up on a bandit 1250 at over 30mph when a dog (Sorry, Un Chien) ran out at us (more than once) in France, and therefore know that it''s a very valid manouver to be familiar with. Anone who has ridden the A62 from Huddersfield to Oldham, the A57 Snake Pass or any other country road where the sheep have done a "great escape" through the fence will understand. And, no, I don''t do 15mph over Snake Pass in the wet...

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 06/06/2009 10:25  

Yeah I remember cute lil doggie watching the road then all of a sudden Cujo is running towards us, boy was I glad you managed it !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/06/2009 10:30  

And, no, I don''''t do 15mph over Snake Pass in the wet... ...and I should think not - slow down u maniac!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2009 10:31  

WTF is Cujo? D... O... G... Next week children, we'll be trying to spell C...A...T...!!!

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 06/06/2009 10:34  

ok , now bear with me everyone while I enter Mr P''s spreadsheet mentality (birthday or not is gonna get it in a min) From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Cujo (1981) is a psychological horror novel by Stephen King. It was made into a film of the same name in 1983. The story focuses on the Trenton family: Vic, an advert designer, his adulterous wife Donna, and their four-year-old son Tad. The latter two are terrorized by the eponymous Cujo, a rabid St. Bernard dog. The narrative takes place in the author''s recurrent fictional town of Castle Rock, Maine, and is interspersed with vignettes from the seemingly mundane lives of other residents. There are no official chapters, but rather breaks in between passages, which indicate when the author is alternating to a different point of view.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/06/2009 10:36  

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 06/06/2009 10:38  

Every day I learn sumfing new....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 06/06/2009 11:00  

And every day you forget sumfink you learned yesterday Senior moments TC Ask TM he knows all about it Put me straight once or twice Or was it 3 times What were we on about

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/06/2009 15:49  

TM? - he still conscious?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2009 15:58  

Think he's recoverin ? or still on his hols If not he's remarkably quiet

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/06/2009 17:24  

Sshhh - let''s not spoil a good thing!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2009 17:36  

I think his subscription has run out. I miss the little dancer....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 06/06/2009 17:38  

Thats not what you called him before

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/06/2009 17:51  

getting back to the swervw test, and i will probably my face chewed off but...when we are out on our bikes , and see a manhole cover etc, even at 30mph plus, dont we all sometimes swerve to avoid it, i know i do, so is the swerve test just the same ????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2009 18:04  

whats next leg protectors ?any more petty b.s.ive never done 15 mph far too slow bike would fall over!!

Update Reply
crowcat @ 06/06/2009 18:16  

Yeh - if u canna do the swerve, wot u gonna do in real life? The swerve may be a tad harsh, but so is reality.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2009 18:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email