MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

biker jailed

biker jailed (2) - Forums [Biker Match] biker jailed (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

biker jailed

Now why doesn't that surprise me?...................Doctoring a video for TV, how unusual!

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 08/03/2009 17:53  

Update: Quotes from Robert Bennett (the jailed motorcyclist): "That bike was just so fast. You only have to touch the throttle and boom, it's gone. I never would have knowingly travelled at that speed, especially with my son on the back." "These bikes react amazingly quickly and sometimes it is very hard to tell how fast you are actually going." "When I realised what I had done I felt very ashamed and had to get rid of the bike as soon as possible. I didn't want it to happen again. In hindsight, I don't know why manufacturers make bikes that fast, they should be speed-restricted." "I will never buy a bike that fast again, in fact, I think I'll stick to my car in the future". It is almost as if he has been briefed to say this by the Anti-Bike brigade in a bid to reduce his jail sentence but I am sure he is just purely stupid (not realising a Hayabusa was a performance bike!?!) and not man enough to admit responsibility for his own mistake. If you get a chance, read the articles on this guy and his sentence in the May 2009 edition of Motorcycle Sport & Leisure (pages 39 and 98/99 - shouldn't take you too long to read them whilst 'browsing' in the newsagents )

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 17/04/2009 09:43  

*deleted double post*

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 17/04/2009 09:43  

agree with ya TC - briefed so that he'll get his sentence reduced & stoopid not knowing that he was buying the fastest (well it used to be) production bike going!! & Mick - the original Busa's were 220 mph, They only got restricted a few years down the line. (only know this cos me & the ex had one of the first ones out...I sooo loved that bike! )

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 17/04/2009 09:58  

I take it they don't come equipped with a speedo then?..............Or did he just not know where to find it!

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 17/04/2009 10:24  

lol!! Totally agree Dragon. Most big bikes nowadays will easily crack the ton in third gear, but at the end of the day they only go as fast as you twist the throttle. I like to "make progress", even on my big CB (what effect would a ZZR have on my license I wonder), but when I'm doing 80, 90, 100, I know it. And no one can say that you can do something like 120mph without really realising which is effectively what this guy has said. We all do silly speeds occasionally, few of us can truthfully state that we don't. I know I can't. But it is very rare and I know to be very careful when I do it. If we do decide to let the engine have a bit of "free play" every once in a while and if we truly believe it is safe to do so, then we need to be especially careful when we do. We already have a 300kph (186mph) restriction in the EU and there are many bodies fighting to have this lowered further. I can honestly see the day when all vehicles are heavily restricted, perhaps even as low as 130/140kph (80/85mph), I just hope this day doesn't come for a very, very long time. But the truth is that every time this sort of event hits the news, the do-gooders are provided with extra evidence to speed up the "rot".

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 17/04/2009 13:17  

Hear hear geoff I remember when the magic "ton" was something to be acheived! I certainly knew when I was doin 100 on my beeza These days, the Duke gets there without effort and feels soo safe, but I still know, by way way things "rush" up to meet me, that I'm travellin VERY fast We all need to watch out for these "cowboys" who can easily get us a bad name. Ride safe, ride free. Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/04/2009 13:38  

I have got to be honest and say most of us get over the ton so easily nowadays that I had just a little bit of sympathy for this guy with the exception of his son on back, but after reading his reasoning in Teecee's post.....what a disgrace! I now hope this guy gets buggered in the hotel with bars....thats metal bars

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 17/04/2009 18:06  

Any fool can exceed 100mph, no skill required. But try taking a sharp downhill bend where 20mph in 2nd is necessary. All brakes and clutch control. Any less, and you drop it; any more and you risk hitting oncoming traffic. This is where the skill shows. Practice, practice, practice. And enjoy.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/04/2009 20:04  

no excuses for this kind of riding with any kid on the back , especially in the wet , diesel , oil spilage and so forth . the kid had no choice , but , bet he has more brains than dad !

Update Reply
excalibur @ 18/04/2009 10:14  

^^^excalibur^^^ Oi!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/04/2009 11:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email