MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

deleting

deleting - Forums [Biker Match] deleting - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

deleting

is there a quicker way to delete messages en masse rather than doing one at a time ?

Update Reply
julie j @ 15/09/2008 18:12  

I accidentally discovered that if you just click away at them, while it's thinking about deleting the first one you click on, you can usually get rid of a whole page at a time... If you're not quite fast enough, it misses out 1 or 2 though ;o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 15/09/2008 18:57  

I accidentally discovered that if you just click away at them, while it's thinking about deleting the first one you click on, you can usually get rid of a whole page at a time... If you're not quite fast enough, it misses out 1 or 2 though ;o) So that's WHY the site freezes up! lol (am I imagining it or are there TWO threads with the same title?)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/09/2008 17:58  

I'm sure there was only one a few minutes ago. Memo to self: go easy, huh?

Update Reply
Wills @ 17/09/2008 18:01  

Please note that it will indeed add to the server's workload when you do that, so please only start mass-deleting when the site appears to be running well. Basically - for the length of time it takes to delete a message, someone else's request to load a page is on hold. And the fastest way is to hold SHIFT+CLICK. This opens a new page. So hold shift, then click down on the delete buttons. A new page will load for each delete. This is really hammering the server though, so please refrain from doing so unless you really must delete your messages.

Update Reply
Matt @ 19/09/2008 06:20  

lol - oops! Sorry! I just copped the strop one day because it was taking an absolute age... & started clicking, not actually imagining it was going to delete more than one message at a time! Promise I won't do it again

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 19/09/2008 07:39  

you could have 1 message or a million, it wont slow down the page (Wont explain why). It will slow things down if u start mass-deleting (Note that when u delete a PM it has to open a new page, which loads all the headers, reloads ur inbox,etc etc).

Update Reply
Matt @ 19/09/2008 10:21  

Does it affect the speed of the server if we just leave the messages as they are? I have a fair few and have never deleted them, besides I don't get that many messages anyway boo hoo

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 19/09/2008 10:34  

Ah no, I wasn't thinking that the number of messages made a difference to the speed, what I meant was taking an age was when I was deleting one message... it took so long just to delete one, I clicked away merrily on the bin icons beside a whole page full while I was in a strop! Not that I'm *ever* stroppy... *ahem*

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 19/09/2008 10:55  

A stroppy woman??!! Surely not...

Update Reply
mat750 @ 19/09/2008 18:58  

well little miss, that certainly would slow the server down - so its u we can all blame lol. If you request a page and it doesnt load, the WORST thing you can do is request it again. So be patient! lol Shouldn't be a problem if you don't delete them, it's only text so doesn't take up much storage space.

Update Reply
Matt @ 20/09/2008 06:17  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email