MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

HELP US TODAY - New forum structure

HELP US TODAY - New forum structure - Forums [Biker Match] HELP US TODAY - New forum structure - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

HELP US TODAY - New forum structure

As requested by many, I've started work on redesigning the forum. This will be to add categories mainly, and should be finished by today/tomorrow. The problem: 84 pages of uncategorised forum topics! Moderators will have access to move topics to other forums, but initially we need help from other members in putting existing topics into a suitable forum. It will require the topic to be read (First page) and then moved to a suitable forum (Events, General Chat, etc). If you have some spare time over the next few days, please put your name here in this topic and I will give you access to move topics (Not moderator access though). No crazy people (Stu) need to apply lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 11:52  

Thought I might offer as a penance...

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 08/03/2008 12:01  

I've nowt planned for the next few days, if you want i'll have a go at it. Pls bear in mind am a technical cabbage though. I'll need in depth instructions

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 08/03/2008 12:05  

suppose it might keep u quiet stu lol. This is turning out to be more difficult than i imagined though, it's a complete restructure. Gonna have to take the site down for 5 minutes at some point whilst i apply changes too. DC - thanks for the offer. It will be easy. In the topics page you will have a MOVE icon next to each topic header. You click it, and get a new page saying "Which forum do you want to move it to?". Here you select the correct forum for it to be located under, and hi the Move Topic button. You'll then be returned to the original forum (The Uncategorised forum) to move more. If you don't know where to move it to, you have to go into the topic and read a little of it first. So, for example, if you see a Matlock topic - just fire it over to the events section without reading it. If you see a topic that says "Help" in the title, you'll have to read a bit to see what help is needed (Might be help on the site, or bike help etc - there will be different categories). Sound ok?

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 13:00  

Site will be up and down over next few hours because of this restructure, please don't email me or PM to ask why it's down :-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 13:03  

Site will be up and down over next few hours because of this restructure, please don't email me or PM to ask why it's down :-) That'll explain why my PM didn't get delivered and I got an error message Grrr! I'm trying to do my job an' all tha knows! Luckily I copy every PM afore I hit send cos I'm used to it being bounced.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/03/2008 13:33  

yea me too, even i dont trust the site haha. Ok i think (THINK) ive finished it now! Launch time = 8pm tonight Volunteers still needed to help get through the 84 pages of topics. Those who help out will be made staff until the topics are cleaned up, access will only be given for moving topics though. Who else is gonna help then?

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 13:37  

I'll help later if you want. I'm off line in a minute, bung me a PM or email with destructions, if ya dare lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/03/2008 13:40  

Time changed, forgot that im in a diff time-zone lol. If theres not 10 people available to get through the existing topics then i will postpone until tomorrow. Come on all, need some willing volunteers who can get through a few pages of topics each. It wont take long. Make sure your email address in your account is valid also, and that you monitor it tonight.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 13:42  

Cheers Kwak. Ull have access already as ur staff. Once the change is made, we will have to battle through the topics quick. Starting at different pages so we don't tread on each other's toes

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 13:43  

I wont be able to trawl them all tonight as im off out in a mo, but can do some tomorrow daytime if thats any good to you? PM me and i'll be on later when i get. Might be a bit squiffy though lol

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 08/03/2008 13:50  

Cheers Kwak. Ull have access already as ur staff. Once the change is made, we will have to battle through the topics quick. Starting at different pages so we don't tread on each other's toes Will I? Mm I didn't think I had staff access to the forum, me not being a moderator. Jeez I aint started and already I'm confused lol Like I said tell me what ya want me to do and I'll do it. Right I really must bugoffski. L8R Matt have you edited your post, the one at top of this page? I hope so cos I don't remember reading what's now there

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/03/2008 13:53  

Ready when you are Matt.

Update Reply
Di @ 08/03/2008 14:00  

No ive not Kwak. DC - whenever is good, but hopefully there wont be any left to move around tomorrow. Kwak - Theres a general "Staff" setting. It puts Staff on your profile, but doesn't give you any special access unless i say so in the code (Like in todays example). So, for example, the database has you as a Chat Admin,Events Admin AND Staff which is a seperate tick-box. Cheers Di aswell.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 14:05  

PS: Did I mention that nobody will be able to post in ANY topic until it's moved out of the temporary forum? So come on folks, sign-up to help out or you wont have access to the forums! We can't get through 2000 topics between 3 or 4 of us

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 14:20  

I help! Just tell me what to do when and where

Update Reply
Silvi @ 08/03/2008 14:28  

im willing to help matt as you have helped me in the past, if we cant help friends who can we help dont you agree

Update Reply
gypsy-anne @ 08/03/2008 14:39  

Spot on, thanks. You'll get an email from me in 15 minutes.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 14:42  

Ok it's 8pm now, and I've just sent the email to all staff. I will change the forums over in exactly TEN minutes. I suggest that nobody tries to create any new topics OR POSTS during the next few minutes or you will be likely to loose your message.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 15:02  

ok here goes nothing - and if anyone wants to help, just post here or send me a PM asap.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 15:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email