MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

New 20mph Limit in Wales

New 20mph Limit in Wales - Forums [Biker Match] New 20mph Limit in Wales - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

New 20mph Limit in Wales

With the reduction in accidents and fatalities that are the justification for the new blanket limit in Wales, with the resultant reduction in insurance claims and payouts, when will there be a national reduction in insurance premiums for those lucky enough to live in the Land of my Father?

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 15/09/2023 11:34  

not going to happen, some bus services are being cancelled as they cant keep to the time table, pollution is liable to rise, and a lot of folks are not happy with it.

Update Reply
rocker21 @ 15/09/2023 13:22  

It's a ludicrous idea. Outside schools etc is OK, but everywhere?
Vehicles aren't geared to run for extended periods at 20mph, it's going to be 2nd gear everywhere resulting in increased engine noise, most likely fuel consumption and pollution.
I expect councils are already looking at dispensations for main roads just to try and minimise the consequences.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 17/09/2023 15:27  

My original post was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek😂

With regards to dispensation to keep a 30mph limit to help traffic flow, that is true. You just have to pray that you don't live in an area governed by an extreme green, lycra clad, anti vehicle council....

Maybe new cars could be fitted with a 20mph button like the pit lane limiter in F1 for driver convenience...

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 17/09/2023 18:03  

I'm F^*£ed we have Khanage in London, by Christmas my route to work will be all in 20mph roads, So I'll be on the Old Kent Road (yes the one from Moneyply) in a three lane road in each direction road riding at 20mph looking in my mirrors for the car drivers that are so bored and feel safe in their cars so that they will be looking at their phones and just like Steve said stuck in gear two at 3000rpm instead of gear 3 or 4 at 2000rpm.
However it will give the powers that be then to shout "POLLUTION TAX"

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 17/09/2023 19:00  

Just thinking, if you're a motorcycle instructor in a city miles from open countryside , how the hell will you train learner riders if they can't get over 20mph? Like the A2 license will there now be a first gear license???

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 17/09/2023 22:25  

I don't wear lycia any more Strom (there would be complaints), but the 20mph isn't difficult to achieve on a pushbike. This speed limit is going to annoy some cyclists too.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 18/09/2023 07:20  

it does not apply to them steve, they dont take any notice of red traffic lights or anything else, they dont have no plates so they dont care.

Update Reply
rocker21 @ 18/09/2023 11:43  

Guilty as charged M'lud, when I'm on a push bike the rules are flexible 🙂
I don't run red lights, but neither am I going to sit in a queue of cars.
And yes in my younger and madder days I have tried that hanging onto the back of vehicle to get a tow, exhilarating but about as sensible lapping the TT wearing a tutu.
Which I haven't done.
Although we did briefly consider a lap doing the extreme ironing thing one year, fortunately the idea stayed in the pub. Whatever happened to extreme ironing?

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
it does not apply to them steve, they dont take any notice of red traffic lights or anything else, they dont have no plates so they dont care....

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 18/09/2023 15:59  

@Strom.

I live in the middle and ride 8 miles out, so where we do our training for CBT we can cover 20mph up to 50mph roads and if doing DAS or A2 we take them over to the test area

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 18/09/2023 16:32  

To be honest I'm dreading the upcoming 20mph limit planned for our village. Since the 24hr lorry ban we have very little traffic so its going to seem very tedious pottering along at 20. Having said that, the side roads already have a problem with geriatrics walking down the middle of the road rather than use the pavements...

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 19/09/2023 15:18  

Like with pushing EV's, it's all about control, they don't want us citizens travelling far or owning our own vehicle period by 2030 this 20mph limit is nothing to do with safety.

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 23/09/2023 21:50  

Where can you legally curb crawl………Wales 👀😂😂
Seriously though can you imagine saying “I got caught speeding at 23mph” 👀🤪

Update Reply
Lifeisgood @ 24/09/2023 18:57  

Priceless LiG👍👏👏👏

Maybe that's why so many countries use km so that their speed limits sound better😂

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 24/09/2023 21:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email