MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Are other bikers really that friendly?

Are other bikers really that friendly? - Forums [Biker Match] Are other bikers really that friendly? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Are other bikers really that friendly?

Anyone else feel that even other bikers are not really that friendly towards you? Have you ever gained a real friendship of some sort after striking up a conversation with a fellow biker?

I've recently moved to a new area, I have made the effort and spoken to probably 5 other bikers within spitting distance to me, sure they talk/seem friendly enough at the time but that's it, I've asked about local ride outs, biker meets etc, given them my email but hear no more.

They obviously don't want to know me, thankfully my wife of 20+ years is my best mate too so I'm thankful for that, it would be nice to have a biker mate of either sex though.

Interested to hear others experiences, have you found an actual friend/mate via the biking scene?

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 02/09/2023 20:46  

I completely agree with you, they used to be more friendly.
I'm a member since 2018
Don't know what's changed .... lack of old school bikers? .....
I'm from Manchester area, most of the time I don't even get a nod back when I welcome local new member.....
It's like small groups turned into a secret society.
I'm just a pillion but so feel even more isolated.
Good luck 👍
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Anyone else feel that even other bikers are not really that friendly towards you? Have you ever gained a real friendship of some sort after striking up a conversation with a fellow biker?

I've recent...

Update Reply
Snow White 6691 @ 03/09/2023 00:30  

I've only been a member since February 2020 but I have found that attending events is the only guaranteed way to meet people on BM and in particular BM organised events, although I have a slight disadvantage in being allergic to crawling under an uncomfortable piece of canvas. I probably receive less than 50% returns on any nods sent and when I put up a ride only two people replied and only one turned up😂 l've had marginally more success arranging to meet at existing events but even then it's only a few. Even the chat room is very hit and miss as most of us dip in and out during the day so members only really chat in the evening.

Having said all that I think people's lives are such these days that most people keep themselves to themselves, so it's not a case of not being friendly.

I now know lots of people from regularly attending local 'bike nites' so perhaps that's the way to go...

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 03/09/2023 06:16  

Quote:

I've recent...

I have made loads of friends, mainly just by going to local bike nights. It's no good just going the once though, you have make the effort and and go regularly, it does take time to get known.

Update Reply
dynax @ 03/09/2023 08:44  

Thankyou, it's not just me then. I'm new to this forum obviously so I wasn't really thinking about that or the on-line bike forum aspect period, meeting riders in person, out on the road etc is what I were meaning really.
It's a shame that we are not local to each other, never say "just a pillion" by the way, it doesn't matter which part of the saddle that you sit on to me.

Quote:
I completely agree with you, they used to be more friendly.
I'm a member since 2018
Don't know what's changed .... lack of old school bikers? .....
I'm from Manchester area, most of the time I don...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 03/09/2023 19:44  

I have been to a couple of different cafes on 'bike' night for a couple of years where I use to live, again not that friendly, some seem very clicky, they just don't seem to want to include newcomers.

Quote:

Quote:
Anyone else feel that even other bikers are not really that friendly towards you? Have you ever gained a real friendship of som...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 03/09/2023 19:53  

As Strom says random bike meets rarely lead to anything, you need to meet folks in person and in a repeat situation, like becoming a regular at a bike night. I expect it's human nature, you have to meet someone a few times in a familiar surrounding to build a degree of trust.

I joined BM because I'd lost my old circle of biking & camping friends. I find BM very good but you have to make the effort and go along to BM organised event.
Whether you'll get on with people there is then up to you and of course what you are looking for.

Last call for this year is Santa's Thing at the end of the month.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 05/09/2023 07:41  

I can only assume that you've misread my reply above, because I've already done what you have said. One of the bike venues that I visited many times over during the course of two years or more were the Iron Horse in Market Deeping, funny enough I have seen a comment from another biker some time ago on Facebook saying that the bikers there are very clicky and not welcoming/friendly to newcomers, they gave up going too. So it's certainly not just me.

Over the decades I have joined two different owners clubs, one were the Honda Goldwing, yes I went to the monthly meets, went on a few camping weekends etc, they were more friendly than most but I never really picked up a friend as such, again the clicky aspect were there. Yes, I get that distance can be an issue, if someone you get on with/like lives miles away, it's difficult to pop round/meet up once a week for a drink and a chat, I totally understand, but I've never found anyone who's local to me who can be bothered either.

More recently, the other owners club I joined, I stopped going on ride outs with them because they rode like complete idiots, excessive speed, constant overtaking, they treated the public road like a race track basically, that's not my idea of a group ride out, not enjoyable at all. Again, a very clicky element when at the monthly meeting so you wonder why bother going in the end.

Quote:
As Strom says random bike meets rarely lead to anything, you need to meet folks in person and in a repeat situation, like becoming a regular at a bike night. I expect it's human nature, you have to me...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 06/09/2023 09:25  

So are you going to the Santa thing to meet some normal people?
For a given definition of normal anyway.

I've just come back from a local bike night, my second visit.
It's a small scale affair, perhaps 20 people there, so it quite easy to start talking with people.
I've never liked bigger meets, besides the fact there ain't any close to me, the ones I have been to often consist of lots of little groups ignoring each other.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 07/09/2023 20:19  

The Santa thing is too far away from me sadly.

I was at a local bike meet myself last night, it's only on once a month, I've been going since October last year, I have spoken to a few different people, having a conversation is great/one thing, gaining a real mate, an on going friendship is another.

Quote:
So are you going to the Santa thing to meet some normal people?
For a given definition of normal anyway.

I've just come back from a local bike night, my second visit.
It's a small scale affair, per...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 08/09/2023 15:07  

Gowann... It's only about 160 miles from Horncastle, that's just a nice ride out.
Although I do accept it's most likely traffic hell around Birmingham, but it's a small price to pay 😆

Quote:
The Santa thing is too far away from me sadly.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 08/09/2023 16:47  

I live in Cambridgeshire which is as far east as Horncastle and I'm going. Last night I went to Krazy Horse at Bury St Edmunds.. I went on my own, knew nobody there, yet still managed to find numerable people to natter too.. Well worth the 85 mile round trip🏍️👍

As for long term friendships.. The answer is on the tin.. It takes a long time, so be patient.. I go to Amici at Sandy in Bedfordshire very regularly so come down and make yourself known. I can't promise to become your best mate but you will at least be made welcome😁

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 08/09/2023 20:32  

Thanks for the invitation at least. If you have a best mate/another biker who lives fairly local to you, someone who would pop round for a chat or help you with a problem, count yourself lucky I say.
That's the whole point I'm trying to make here, even if we become best mates, it's not realistic to expect this unless you are a prospect for certain motorcycle clubs shall we say.

Quote:
I live in Cambridgeshire which is as far east as Horncastle and I'm going. Last night I went to Krazy Horse at Bury St Edmunds.. I went on my own, knew nobody there, yet still managed to find numerabl...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 09/09/2023 21:39  

I'm reminded of something my Dad used to say.. He always told me he knew lots of people but he could count his true friends on the fingers of one hand. He still had lots of people at his funeral....

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 09/09/2023 21:48  

That's so true and way before all this social media before all the 'likes' and 'friends' that young people have been brainwashed into. I never fell into all that BS in the first place.

Quote:
I'm reminded of something my Dad used to say.. He always told me he knew lots of people but he could count his true friends on the fingers of one hand. He still had lots of people at his funeral.......

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 09/09/2023 21:57  

I refuse to use Farcebook, WhatsApp or any media owned by that organisation..

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 09/09/2023 23:09  

Wise move, these last 3 years or so especially have shown that the censoring of important information, pushing one narrative and all their data collection is certainly not for the good or benefit of their members.

Quote:
I refuse to use Farcebook, WhatsApp or any media owned by that organisation.....

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 12/09/2023 09:44  

A good point on the censoring, and pushing of a narrative, on the various bits of social media.
Though traditional media can be just as bad, but it always has been.
The advantage now is that we can dig about on the net and find out a bit more on the chosen subject.
The big problem is that it is too easy to fall into the echo chamber mentality and start buying into all sorts of nonsense.
I'm a great fan of Occam's Razor, human stupidity trumps any convoluted theory involving aliens, deep state, elites or big farmers 😆

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 12/09/2023 19:00  

Well I have learned something tonight as I had never heard of Occums Razor... Now I know that the opposite is Hiccums Dictum😁

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 12/09/2023 21:30  

All I do know for sure is that a shocking amount of people who I know personally are either no longer alive or are suffering with serious health issues after taking the jab, the majority of these were previously healthy people with zero health issues. We were all warned, they clearly told us that these injections were EXPERIMENTAL at the end of the day, the fact that at least 100'000 NHS staff refused to take it, spoke volumes to me.

Over three and half years ago now, I started to research Klaus Schwab and his Great Reset Agenda, it's all now out in the open, he even published a book on it!

So many so called 'conspiracy theories' have proven to be true over these last three years, sadly some people will never see it, personally I don't think that they have the brain capacity to.

Quote:
A good point on the censoring, and pushing of a narrative, on the various bits of social media.
Though traditional media can be just as bad, but it always has been.
The advantage now is that we can d...

Update Reply
Addicted to bikes @ 14/09/2023 12:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email