MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Camping Food

Camping Food - Forums [Biker Match] Camping Food - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Camping Food

Afternoon all, I have decided to create a thread so you can post what food you take with you on your camping trips.

It is also an opportunity for you to get creative and share your recipes.

Update Reply
dynax @ 20/04/2023 14:07  

Today I have made a chicken and spinach curry, now put in containers in the freezer.

I also have on the go a chicken broth in the slow cooker which will get boxed up later tonight.

Last but not least for today I will be doing a rather hot but sweet chilli.

Update Reply
dynax @ 20/04/2023 14:10  

I always have a couple of emergency pastas with me, the stuff that you just add water too, so if I can't find anything better I've got something to eat.
They are not the tastiest thing on the planet, but they fit in the bottom of a pannier, last forever (because anything else is preferable - except pot noodles, beetroot, celery or goats cheese) and cost bugger all.
A well planned mission means these are not eaten.
Remember the Five P's - Properly Pissed Prevents Puking Pasta.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 20/04/2023 16:01  

Not specifically food dynax but I bought one of these other year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-maple-FMS-X2-Backpacking-Stabiliser-Lightweight/dp/B092LYFWS9/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=5HUXLU62M0LH&keywords=firemaple+jet+stove&qid=1682011645&sprefix=%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Firemaple jet stove. Bit bulky, so you need loads of room, but was a game changer and cooks food instantly 👍😎

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 20/04/2023 18:30  

I have this Trangia cookset https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893144/trangia-25-2-ul-cookset-with-kettle-15893144

Can't fault it packs down reasonably small, and I bought some bio fuel for it from a local supplier.

It takes longer to cook stuff but I am never in a rush so doesn't matter to me 👍

Update Reply
dynax @ 20/04/2023 18:40  

I don’t cook, find a pub and eat there, so much easier, or eat out during the day and a sandwich or something from shop for the evening.

Update Reply
Tezza1958 @ 20/04/2023 21:27  

I'm with you Tezza.. Mind you, I'd see if I could rent a room in the pub too🤣

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 20/04/2023 21:48  

Any of the big rallies have plenty of food stalls, from basic chips and burgers to, I hate to say it, veggie and vegan fayre. If holy joes coffee tent is on site then stoves and food supplies are unnecessary weight to haul around.

Update Reply
Double six @ 20/04/2023 22:08  

Trangia dynax is a classic piece of kit. Used to have one myself long time ago.

I only self cook because I'm a tight so on so and every penny counts 😂

Tea bags hung out on the washing line and fork in the sugar bowl

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 20/04/2023 22:38  

I've always liked camping cooking.
I've recently recommissioned my old Coleman stove, it's useful cos it runs of petrol so I never have to worry about the stove expiring mid brew. It's hardly lightweight but I'm on a motorbike not backpacking.

When I first started going to bike rallies the best you could hope for was sludge coffee and a 'hoof and ring piece' burger (not much use to a veggie). The food and the toilets are the two things that have improved so much at rallies over the years. The first time I came across the stall serving freshly squashed orange juice I was amazed, the guy must have made a fortune that weekend.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 21/04/2023 07:25  

I am not that fussed over going to rallies, I would rather camp in the sticks 👍

Update Reply
dynax @ 21/04/2023 07:28  

Done my chilli today as I didn't have time the other day.

Will leave it bubbling away in the slow cooker overnight, from first tastings this one is my best by far and is a belter 🥵

Update Reply
dynax @ 22/04/2023 16:29  

I bought a vacpac machine and boilabe pouches so curries, sweet nshour, bolognaise even a roast dinner and a full cooked fry up have been put in them and eaten up to 4days on with no refrigeration and best bit, no washing up trying to experiment with mylar bags to get up to a week without chilling

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/05/2023 14:52  

We recently got a jet-boil similar to Yorkie Mick's and have a couple other lightweight burners to screw on to gas canisters.
We're camping this weekend, but at Moffat which is virtually in the town so probably won't 'cook' much. Essentials are the makings for tea and coffee and, since we're practising going as light as possible for trip to Spain/Portugal later, those and a couple of cereal bars is all we're taking from home. We do have a wee cook set and/or mess tins so if we get inspired and rustle up anything exciting I'll report back.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 24/05/2023 16:48  

OK, update ...

Jet boil for tea, forget everything else and travel light. You won't cook and you shouldn't cook - you're on holiday ffs.

If you're seriously into camping and cooking then follow Alan Bolger - bushcraft, for cooking and a lot more.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 27/05/2023 20:15  

I use the FINK camp cooking set very good food and never lets me down The FINK has been known to turn out the odd home made flat bread and cheese and the occasional stir fry.

Update Reply
JP @ 30/05/2023 18:03  

Lets face it JP, you'd eat the packaging the food came in, if you could swallow it. I'm just surprised Fink still has fingers left on her hands! lmao

Update Reply
Double six @ 30/05/2023 23:11  

What makes you think she don't have any fingers missing lol

Update Reply
JP @ 31/05/2023 03:01  

Well, since it is a long time that I was in Fink's company, that statement only begs the question, Does Fink have fingers missing? She had a full compliment the last time I saw her. pmsl.

Update Reply
Double six @ 31/05/2023 23:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email