MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Camping equipment advice

Camping equipment advice - Forums [Biker Match] Camping equipment advice - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Camping equipment advice

Hi, I'm Ash and I hate camping!

Wtf did this guy take up biking? I hear some ask. That's another story.

You can see my quandary.

Maybe it was being a Cub, or a Scout, or Venture Scout, or all those festivals before a payment plan to purchase a ticket became the norm.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are relatively comfortable and "performance" options that are small enough to be packed on a bike (and some naff ones to avoid).

Tent, "mattress", sleeping bag, pillow (PILLOW???) yes, pillow. I'm guessing all food is going to be sold by vendors. Just need warmth and as much comfort as possible.

Feedback welcome folks.

Update Reply
AnotherOldGoth @ 11/12/2022 11:10  

Hi Ash

I would look at a pop up tent as an option. No pole erecting, just pull up from the centre, peg out and place the guidelines appropriately. They save time and effort, but can also be fiddly at first (erecting and dropping)) until you get used to them. You can get various sizes too, although some can be a little on the heavy and bulky side the larger you go. It all depends on what you want, what you require and of course the size of your bike in relation to the strapping area.

Depending on what you intend to do there are also (especially at big events) organisations that go before you, to your site, and put a tent up for you. So you don't have to carry your own. But these are few and far between and may add to the expense?

Regarding the sleeping area, investing in a really good sleeping bag is really important too and also try to take a double airbed along with some kind of pump (preferably electric) to inflate. Pillow wise I'm not too sure on that front, as I've always struggled to find anything suitable, or satisfactory, for me in my time of camping. Maybe someone else as some good recommendations there. They're either too big to carry (for my comfort) or too small for the nicety of sleeping. So I just combine a normal camping pillar (blow ups are an option) with my leather jacket as a support underneath.

For cooking there are lots of small light stoves from the backpacker range. That along with mess tins and the standard backpacker utensils will do. Although the best thing I bought recently was a jet stove, which is an outstanding bit of kit for cooking. Unfortunately though its quite bulky. But I gladly sacrifice that negative for a great piece of equipment. For food you can take tins and stuff but again it's getting a balance between weight and space. The sachet camping food (dried food) is a great option for camping, as it's light and less bulky, although it's not as good as say a breakfast in a tin. For cooking and eating there is a nice light range of cups & plates too, which are made of flexible rubber and concertina up together. Again to save space and weight. Also think about a camping chair with arms. If you look carefully you can get a small/medium size version, not the typical large barbecue version, which again can safe space and weight.

In summary it all depends on your bike and carrying capabilities. Striking a balance between comfort and suitability when deciding what to get. Try to keep it as light as possible and as less bulky as you can. Do as much research as possible before committing.

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 11/12/2022 12:04  

For someone who is adverse to camping I would recommend a credit card.
These are is small, lightweight and accepted in most hostelries and houses of ill repute wherein a warm bed can be obtained complete with pillow, and possibly even additional services for discerning gentlefolk.
Camping is an acquired taste, and somewhat like illicit relations with sheep, for some people it is a preference and others are forced into it by circumstances.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 11/12/2022 13:10  

I'm exactly the opposite Steve. Out in the wilds hugging trees and back to nature is my thing 😂

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 11/12/2022 15:58  

I vote with Steve, although I carry two credit cards as some hostelries, although very friendly, are a bit restrictive on what cards they accept (The Teesdale) when across the road they take anything (Foresters).

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 11/12/2022 20:11  

Actually I do like camping.
And sheep. Unfortunately there is an order in place prohibiting me from approaching within 100 metres of woolly ruminants whilst wearing wellingtons.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 12/12/2022 13:30  

More realistically Ash have a look at the gooutdoors website.
Don't get too hung up on tent weight unless your motorbike is seriously underpowered. A 6kg tent, sleeping mat, 3 season bag (and inflatable pillow) strapped to the pillions seat isn't going to slow you down.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 12/12/2022 13:43  

Or you could look at what CW takes and disregard 3/4 of it.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 12/12/2022 15:00  

Thanks for the great advice and humour. I've always used the bank card, but am acutely aware that I'm not ticking all the biker boxes by avoiding the discomfort of the field.

Update Reply
AnotherOldGoth @ 12/12/2022 17:08  

😆 I don't think the discomfort bit is compulsory Ash.
Unless you want to come along to one of the assorted BM camping trips, which I would recommend.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 12/12/2022 17:27  

Get a 3ltr box of red wine from your supermarket of choice. Share at campsite with friends until empty. Rip away cardboard box to reveal the wine bag inside. Inflate via the dispenser nozzle. Wrap in a t-shirt and voila, a camping pillow.

Update Reply
BAZ224 @ 13/12/2022 22:38  

Ye nice 1 Baz 👍

I'll have to try that. Well maybe the pillow but not the wine bit 😃

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 13/12/2022 23:21  

1) Biking and camping are not the same thing, while loads DO like to combine them, I daresay a lot put up with it as a necessary evil (at rallies/festivals) and a good number WILL NOT CAMP. Each to their own, I love both.
2) The number of 'berths' given for a tent is strictly how many sleeping bags you can put in it. You WILL also want to sit out a rain shower in there, possibly boil a kettle and DEFINITELY wriggle around taking off and putting on bike gear, not to mention shove said gear somewhere while you sleep. BUY BIGGER; at least a 2-man tent if going solo, a 3-man for a couple etc. (We're getting a 4-man WITH STANDING ROOM for the two of us for next year)
3) Subject to 2) above look at weight as much as tent dimensions and then at bulk, and bear in mind that a used tent rarely packs down as small as when first bought! Tent + mattress/roll mat + sleeping bag won't be as heavy as a pillion, but they will take up your whole back seat.
4) You might not think it but a tent carpet, or even a picnic rug, under your bed makes a big difference to keeping warm and cosy. We also invest in a footprint for all our tents, both to protect sewn-in groundsheets but also make it quicker and cleaner to pack up.
5) BUY A TARP and at least one pair of king poles to pitch it with. That bit of extra cover is a godsend when you're wanting into your tent in the rain, and gives you space to enjoy the outdoors - rain or shine. Look at YouTube for ways to use it.
6) Once you get into camping be prepared to acquire more and more kit, just as you do for riding! It can get expensive so buy right and buy once. Consider what you NEED from a camp; do you want to cook/heat a meal or even boil a kettle? Maybe just a plate and spork will do you for eating a takeaway. Chance it with a mug and beg a fill of hot water from fellow campers on your coffee/teabag (XK has this down to an art). Don't rush out and buy the kitchen sink until you've tried out the basics and know you'll be going again and want the extra kit.
7) Since you asked about pillows, we got these this year and they're the best we've had so far:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-travel-pillow-grey/_/R-p-311258?mc=8557111

Enjoy.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 15/12/2022 17:30  

Then attach the sidecar and a trailer to fit that lot in🤣🤣🤣

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 15/12/2022 19:29  

You should have come to Balloch O'Dee, Strom, and seen our villa. Volvo Estate packed to the gunnels and a roofbox on top too. Won't be doing that again, just the two bikes.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 15/12/2022 20:09  

There you go Ash, Balloch O'Dee '23 would be a good first camping trip for you.
Don't worry if you're forgotten anything vitally important, we'll be there to laugh and photograph it for posterity 🥸

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/12/2022 06:57  

I LOVED Balloch O'Dee, just didn't like the midges very much 🤦🏼‍♀️. If there is another weekend there, I wont be camping in the same place. Think I'll try further away, up the field. Smashing views n lovely campsite. 👍🏻😊

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 16/12/2022 17:08  

Not sure if that will be far enough to escape the midges Lindsay... Try Wales 🤣🤣🤣

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 16/12/2022 17:14  

Take as much as you can carry on your 1st camp. Then if you didnt use something you dont need it so stop taking it. Says the fat kid who takes a carpet

Update Reply
JP @ 16/12/2022 18:51  

🤔I'll stick with Scotland thanks all the same Strom 😄

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 16/12/2022 19:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email