MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Adventure bike or not??

Adventure bike or not?? - Forums [Biker Match] Adventure bike or not?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Adventure bike or not??

I'm thinking of buying an adventure bike to go touring Europe and am wondering what to get. I used to have a Triumph Tiger 800 which I liked but it was underpowered. I wish I'd bought the 1200 and maybe I would still have it.

I currently have a ZRX1200R and a 900 Blade, both of which would get me there but I'm not sure what state I would be in!

Plus, if I find a girlfriend to go with me it will have to be suitable for us both.

I don't want a tourer as it wouldn't suit my "style" of riding and I do fancy doing some tracks anyway.

Any feedback would be great, I am getting a test ride on a GS1200 next week, if the weather is improved. Cheers. Rick

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/02/2020 19:36  

At the moment if you want to tour, go off road with money no problem, KTM 790 adventure, a bit cheaper but just as good, Yamaha tenere 700. But for everything, and a pillion, Honda Africa twin. Although personal preference is a contentious issue! 🤐

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/02/2020 20:05  

That's the thing, I remember the Long way Round, great program. They wanted KTM and ended up with BMW. The riding and conditions are far more extreme than I would likely do. I guess I need to do a test ride on a few bikes before I decide. I've had a lot of bikes over the years, often based on MCN test reports, and have regretted a few of them, XT600 for example. Hopeless on the motorway over long distance, girlfriend went to uni 120 miles away. Bought a K100 after that, lacking in handling and fun! Mine field. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
At the moment if you want to tour, go off road with money no problem, KTM 790 adventure, a bit cheaper but just as good, Yamaha tenere 700. But for everything, and a pillion, Honda Africa twin. Althou...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/02/2020 20:13  

I've done lots of touring in Europe on a Fireblade with no problems solo but could be a problem with a pilly, I've been thinking of a VFR for taking a pilly

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 15/02/2020 21:28  

You can tour on anything. When I was a student a friend of mine toured Europe on a Honda 125...

If you like the adventure style the Tracer is a nice machine. Torquey triple and the GT comes with panniers as part of the package.

Personally, for the long haul, I like the BMW RT, but it all depends on where I'm going. Last year I trekked around the west coast of Ireland on a Z900RS and it was the ideal mount for the type of riding. The RT would have been ok, but a bit heavy for the roads. The Zed was more fun.

Update Reply
LongriderUK @ 15/02/2020 21:32  

The BMW R 1250 GS would be ideal for two - although you could meet a girl who has her own bike and then you could ride whatever you wanted :-) I have a Tiger 800 XRx and trading in for the new Triumph 900 GS. I'm not tall enough for their other new 900 Adventure bike range but have a look at their Tiger 900 Rally if you have the budget.

Update Reply
SuzyQ675 @ 15/02/2020 23:25  

I think you need to seriously think just how much time you intend to spend on tarmac as opposed to unmade tracks before deciding
As regards BMW, before you commit check witha mechanic just how expensive they are to repair and maintain compared to other bikes available.
As regards Triumph......the great advantage of the 1200 over the 800 is that the centre of gravity is much lower due to the build design but I fail to see how an 800 could be considered underpowered unless you like to do frequent racing on or off track

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/02/2020 11:44  

I toured Europe on a BMW R1200 RS & Ducati Multistrada 950 both great bikes for touring 2up or solo. I did have a Tiger 1200 but didn’t tour on it, what I would say however I found the heat off the engine would of been uncomfortable and as it was top heavy not too good on the tight mountain hairpins where low end grunt/torque is a bonus.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/02/2020 15:32  

Thanks to the replies. I have a test ride booked on a 1250GS next week, quite looking forward to it, if the weather calms down. If I met a girl with her own bike I would consider keeping my ZRX1200 and just buy throw overs. It is comfy, just little wind protection.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/02/2020 21:16  

I've never toured Europe but my old BMW R1100GS has been brilliant. I can ride two up with panniers full of beer and a top box with a tent on top almost as easily as one up without luggage. My wife was happy on the back and the seat is wide and comfy for her 5'12" frame. In the last 20 years, it's needed a rear shock, a decent battery and, just recently, a new clutch (very expensive!). It's done 60k miles and I can ride it for about 4 hours before I need to get off. With well over 200 miles between fill ups, that's easy to do. No chain, no fork seals, no frame, ABS, heated grips and you can pick up a pre-loved one for a couple of grand...

Update Reply
TigerH @ 16/02/2020 22:39  

You can tour on anything. I toured Europe on a lambretta.

As someone else mentioned, Honda VFR, toured on that too. I’m now on a bmw k1200s and this has been the best I’ve ever had. Loads of room for rider,pillion and luggage and it’s comfy. And fast...

You should buy what you feel is right for you and wait until you’ve settled with someone before getting something that suits both of you

Update Reply
K12s @ 18/02/2020 06:32  

I got a Pan European for touring France, it was great for touring, but underpowered. After a while you miss the power and torque of a less sedate steel horse between your legs. If you can buy and sell with minimum loss then great. If I was to look at adventure I'd want something with some attitude like a KTM.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/02/2020 22:09  

I have a friend with the bmw gs1200
Awesome bike. If I was tall enough. I’d have one

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/02/2020 06:09  

I have a r1200gsa which I use as my main ride.
Regularly do long days on the bike, both sole and with a pillion, and find it very comfortable, ave stint between stops 3hrs and did 10k miles on it last year.
Did a trip last year from Aberdeen to Cornwall with no problems. Would recommend a better screen than the stock one to help with wind noise. Off to Switzerland in June for 10 days on it.
Would probably look at the KTM Super Adventurer though for my next bike.

Update Reply
AndrewR545 @ 26/02/2020 21:05  

I've been into the big trailie thing since the late 90's when everyone else thought sports bikes were a good idea.
Since then everyone had got into the game.
Despite popular rumour they aren't the best thing two up unless your pillion is used to rock climbing.
But for everything thing else they are brilliant, except commuting - too big and cumbersome for that.
And finally only put the boxes on when you need them cos you'll look a dick at the local cafe dressed for the Darien Gap.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 03/03/2020 21:08  

Totally agree with you Steve but I find one of the best bits is doing the weekend shopping when the roads are rammed with traffic and you just load your panniers with goodies and whoosh, straight past all the cars and enjoying a cuppa at home while they are still queueing at the lights

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/03/2020 23:50  

I'm on a Trimph Explorer 1200 XCA. Love the upright riding position and low centre of gravity (it needs it as it's a heavy bike) and have toured the UK and bits of Europe on it.

The BMW GS is a great bike also, plus a few other options as mentioned in the thread. Good luck deciding what to get, and in finding your pillion

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/03/2020 07:26  

Bought a Tiger Explorer 1200 when they first came out, and still have it 56k miles later! A stunning machine which has taken me all over Europe, through mountains, Forests and sublime country roads - even a little off roading as well!
The torque and power are to die for, and I'd never sell it or trade it in even for a newer model...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/03/2020 19:34  

Well it's still sport's bikes for me, I've bought another Fireblade

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 10/03/2020 03:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email