MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Eyesight Tests

Eyesight Tests - Forums [Biker Match] Eyesight Tests - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Eyesight Tests

Hi everybody. Just had my Group 2 entitlement (HGV,PCV) for lorries and buses refused for the second time by the DVLA medical team. Due to my eyesight not coming up to standard, for group 2 but okay for normal licence car/bike. The fight is on to get it back!

During my research I have come to find that the DVLA are becoming rather stringent on not just eyesight but all medical tests, as part of their crusade to keep everybody safe on the road. Which I kind of understand and accept, but also feel they are, let's say, been a little overkill and extreme in their testing parameters.

What I would like to say is to you all (if you don't do it already) be wary of this but do take regular eyesight tests. Or else your licence (even bike/car) could be refused. You could always ignore this and hope that you never have a medical, but by rights your supposed (not legal yet) to get regular eyesight checks and any discrepancies need to be reported to the DVLA. After all if you are involved in a accident and your eyesight is below standard you could be facing trouble.
Below is some important info copied and pasted from my findings:

The law requires that all licensed drivers to meet the following eyesight requirements (including drivers aided by prescribed glasses or contact lenses):

in good daylight, able to read the registration mark fixed to a vehicle registered under current standards
at a distance of 20 metres with letters and numbers 79 mm high by 50 mm wide on a car registered since 1 September 2001 or
at a distance of 20.5 metres with letters and numbers 79 mm high by 57 mm wide on a car registered before 1 September 2001 and
the visual acuity must be at least Snellen 6/12 with both eyes open or in the only eye if monocular
✘- Any driver unable to meet these standards must not drive and must notify the DVLA, which will refuse or revoke a licence.

The law also requires all drivers to have a minimum field of vision, as set out below.

Certification as sight impaired or severely sight impaired is not compatible with DVLA driver licensing; such certification is notifiable.

Bioptic telescope devices are not accepted by the DVLA for driving.
More on weblink
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visual-disorders-assessing-fitness-to-drive
Incidents:
Since 2012 more than 42,000 UK drivers have been told they cannot drive because of inadequate vision

12 Jun 2017 by Selina Powell

Category:Clinical and regulatory,Sight impairment,Driving,Health
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has revoked or refused 42,519 car and motorcycle licences since 2012 because of poor vision.

Figures released to OT through a Freedom of Information (FOI) request also reveal that 6739 bus and lorry drivers lost their licence because of failing eyesight over the same period.

The statistics follow several high-profile cases where poor vision was a factor in fatal accidents.

Newport man, Nigel Sweeting, 50, was jailed last month (May) following a collision with a motorcyclist on the M4. Mr Sweeting was advised by his optician not to drive in the months leading up to the accident.

In March, a Sutton Coldfield pensioner received a prison sentence after the car he was driving hit a toddler who died from her injuries. The driver later told police that he had not seen the red light or the pedestrian crossing.

The latest FOI figures show that the number of drivers and motorcyclists whose vision has prevented them from getting behind the wheel has increased by 30% between 2012 and 2016.

In 2012, the DVLA refused or revoked 6960 group 1 licences because of poor vision, compared to 9092 licences last year.

The number of group 2 (bus and lorry) licences drivers who lost their licence also increased over the period, from 893 in 2012 to 1298 in 2016.

A statement from DVLA, highlighted to OT that it was not possible to draw generalised conclusions around the figures as specific detail around a licensing decision was held in each individual case.

However, the DVLA noted that new rules around minimum medical standards were introduced in 2013.

“The changes introduced more stringent standards in some cases but more relaxed standards in others so they were not expected to result either in a significant number of people losing or regaining their entitlement to hold a licence,” the statement emphasised.

It noted that those applying for a driving licence must declare that they meet the minimum eyesight standards.

All drivers have an ongoing legal duty to notify the DVLA of any medical condition that may affect their ability to drive safely, the statement highlighted.

The DVLA encourages drivers to carry out the ‘number plate test’ regularly – reading a number plate from 20 metres – and to arrange an appointment with an optician when necessary.

AOP clinical adviser Trevor Warburton told OT that roadside tests have shown that drivers can fall below the required standard as their eyesight changes over time, often without realising.

The Association recommends that patients have a sight test every two years to ensure they meet the legal standard for driving, Mr Warburton highlighted.

“We advise our members that, in exceptional instances, where a patient is no longer fit to drive due to their vision but refuses to stop, practitioners should seek legal advice from the AOP – as it may be appropriate to report the patient to the DVLA.”

Mr Warburton added: “In the UK, there is currently no requirement for drivers to have regular sight tests. We believe that compulsory vision screening for all motorists would help ensure that drivers’ vision meets the required standards, significantly reducing the risk of someone having an accident due to their poor vision
Weblink: https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/professional-support/clinical-and-regulatory/2017/06/12/end-of-the-road-for-thousands-of-drivers-with-poor-eyesight

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 07/12/2019 18:03  

Cor! I need a lie down in a darkened room after all that.😉

Thanks for the information YM👍

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 07/12/2019 23:40  

It's the way I do it Lindsay 😁

My advocacy work never leaves me , so I find my articulate side coming out 😬

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 08/12/2019 10:51  

Had mine checked the other week , I've had to have glasses 😠

Update Reply