MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

NEW: PM notification of new local members

NEW: PM notification of new local members (2) - Forums [Biker Match] NEW: PM notification of new local members (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

NEW: PM notification of new local members

NoviceBikerChick - welcome to the website!

Ok guys, I fixed it for you. You can now specify how many miles radius to be notified about new members....
https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/myaccount/edit-account.asp

This is linked to in the notifications also.

I've also added the DISTANCE to the notification so you know approximately how far away the new member is.

It's limited to the NEAREST 200 members to the newly joining member.

Folks who haven't logged in within the past 1 year will never get a notification.

And, lastly, I merged the 2 forum topics as it was likely going to cause confusion.

You will see also an option in the edit account page for event notifications. Although you can set this already, it's not yet working. It's next on my list but I've put the option there already anyhow

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/02/2018 14:03  

Hi Matt, thanks for putting an off button and the ability to change distance. However, I'm getting earache from Stuie. as he can't amend things as once he puts his password in to confirm changes he gets a message saying "username Stuie. contains invalid characters" n kicks him out!

Any help appreciated, in order to save my ear 'oles 😉

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 17/02/2018 23:43  

Not that keen sorry. Problem I'm having as I'm unable to change my settings.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/02/2018 23:44  

Hi Stuie
Please can you send me your password in a private message? Then I'll try to login as you and see the error for myself. Hopefully through trial and error in the code I'll be able to fix it. It might be something to do with the full-stop at the end of your username, I don't know

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/02/2018 10:38  

I've already got the hump with this. 4 in three days.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 18/02/2018 15:58  

You're in London. Folks in Scotland won't have received any lol

Hence you can now set the distance via the account settings page. Everyone's preference will be different

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/02/2018 18:30  

Still on the fence .....not sure why its necessary as it already comes up in notifications ......

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 18/02/2018 21:23  

I only read my emails every couple of weeks so no use to me, the easiest way to navigate round the site and find anything is to go onto notifications so all newbies come up there. The only downside to it is that it is about 2hrs behind real time

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 19/02/2018 01:02  

The third new member email from matt, the link does not work !?!
The first two did but no response from the new members !?!

Update Reply
555byker @ 20/02/2018 11:58  

Hey 555
The links should work just fine. I just checked the ones you received and they work fine for me.
Only reason they wouldn't work is if 1) You have a popup blocker enabled or 2) The person you're being notified about has already deleted his/her account

Update Reply
Matt @ 21/02/2018 21:29  

Little update – I’ve changed the code to take account of your “Seeking” preference in your account, which you can edit here:
https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/myaccount/edit-account.asp

So if you specifically say you’re only interested in meeting a particular gender, then you should no longer get notifications of new members who don't meet your preference.

Update Reply
Matt @ 22/02/2018 13:21  

Sounds good

Update Reply
essexmick @ 09/03/2018 18:14  

I think it's a great idea as I am a new member, and just to say I'm not just on here for a quick shag!!! Lol :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/03/2018 18:41  

Update: I've hard-coded a maximum of ONE notification per member per day. So you will not get 10 notification if 10 new members sign up locally to you. This will notifications will be spread around the people who live locally rather than all going to the same folks

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/04/2018 15:41  

I’ll second that Miss Catkins 👍

Update Reply
555byker @ 05/04/2018 17:35  

Ok I'll fix that. Will be a bit of work though. Right now it's triggered when someone creates a profile before even filling it in. I'll need to schedule a job to calculate when the profile is relatively complete before sending a notification

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/04/2018 17:50  

FIXED!
Now there's a script running every 30 minutes. It will find any new member which meets certain criteria then trigger the notifications for local members.

Criteria....
Account = enabled
Profile = enabled
Notifications not previously sent out
Has at the minimum a default main profile pic
Has at least the basics filled out on his/her profile

Only then will it trigger notifications.

It will check that notification recipients are within their preferred range of the new member, have not received any notification for new member within the past 24 hours, that you have logged in within the past year and that the gender matches your account preference.

Please let me know if you find it is or isn't working well for you

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/04/2018 20:16  

I’m fine with the notifications as it’s not like I’m getting them every hour.

I would suggest changing the name from bikermatch though as when I joined I did think it was a dating site. Took me a few days to realise it was nothing of the sort so it might give new members the wrong impression.

Update Reply
Na5ty @ 06/04/2018 11:42  

Hey mate
Welcome to the site!
I have considered it in the past... but BM did start out as a dating site and then expanded in various directions.
Now it's about just bringing bikers together, for whatever.
I'm even thinking of adding an "AirBnB" style section where people can rent out their bikes for people travelling around. Apparently it's working in America.
I wouldn't know what else to call the site really

Update Reply
Matt @ 06/04/2018 16:46  

That’s quite a good little idea mate. I would jump on that as quick as you can.

Update Reply
Na5ty @ 06/04/2018 17:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email