MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Please read - a sobering story

Please read - a sobering story - Forums [Biker Match] Please read - a sobering story - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Please read - a sobering story

I know its a long thread, and at times very emotional, but please take the time to read it. The message applies to all of us http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...6&i=40

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 01/11/2007 16:57  

holy shit ! i could'nt read it all

Update Reply
funnylilpillion @ 01/11/2007 17:31  

I did read it all and still Holy Shit But get the message

Update Reply
lcotgrave @ 01/11/2007 17:51  

You can ride defensively but if your in the wrong place at the wrong time you've had it.I got knocked off last year-wrote my bike off and the car,months of work with a broken leg.In court the woman driver said she saw me but thought she could make it[pulling out].The fine?-£100+£50 court cost!

Update Reply
iggypup @ 01/11/2007 17:51  

Wow,couldn't stop reading DC,especially as i am/was guilty of getting from a-b as quickly as i can!

Feel incredibly lucky+grateful i have never found myself in that position.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2007 18:01  

It really got me mate ! i lost a good friend in july in a motorbike accident were still waiting 4 the inquest . like iggy said sometimes it the wrong place and wrong time. and other times it's just that ur faced with a right ass hole

Update Reply
funnylilpillion @ 01/11/2007 18:07  

I drive a car all day as part of my job and it is easy to end up in his position. we all take chances at junctions and roundabouts. To be that little bit quicker to our destinations. Overtaking at the wrong times. easy to judge him but weve all done stupid things while driving. I can only say "by the grace of god go i"

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 01/11/2007 21:37  

i guess ur dead right yeah

Update Reply
funnylilpillion @ 02/11/2007 02:41  

Hi people,dont mean to be controversial here but there seems to a reliance on luck,chance,god etc.I try to improve my riding all the time as I really dont want another car/bike interface.Every time I hear of a bike casualty it makes me wince/cringe because we can all identify with the scenario.I have my own rules to staying alive which I constantly update,one thing I dont rely on is wishful thinking.

Update Reply
iggypup @ 02/11/2007 15:21  

I dont think yor reading the same thread iggy. No one has said they rely on luck or god. but found that they could quite easily have found themselves in a similar position to him. Does that mean you've never taken a chance on the road even if that means speeding?

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 02/11/2007 15:32  

By the way in 1980 i spent 6 weeks in hospital and 6 months in a rehab unit becouse i was T-boned on a bike. It still hasn't stopped me making mistakes.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 02/11/2007 15:34  

Every action is a calculated risk.I feel Ive had heavy lessons with the reality stick and cant ride in a naive,wishful thinking way.Dont get me wrong I max the fazer out at every oppertunity.The point I was trying to make was be responsible and a realist when riding.

Update Reply
iggypup @ 02/11/2007 15:43  

Like you say a calculated risk. He got his sums wrong. but we all do it and one day we might get em wrong to.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 02/11/2007 15:49  

Gotta feel for the guy though. 65,000 miles a year and then one sad and silly mistake ended up with such serious consequences. Yes we all make mistakes, but we also spend many hundreds (thousands) of trouble free miles on the road and we should remember them. A journey is not about getting there as fast as you can, but is all about the fun in the journey itself so set off a tad earlier and enjoy the ride/drive. Life is too short to waste on risking mistakes on the road. How many times have we been going too fast and overshot a bend or junction and thought to ourselves 'That was close!'...I know I have. I hope that didn't sound all preachy folks.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 02/11/2007 15:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email