MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Virago 535 1991

Virago 535  1991 - Forums [Biker Match] Virago 535  1991 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Virago 535 1991

Just bought a Virago 535 trike, needs TLC. It wouldn't start charged battery, when trying to start was cranking it over and sometimes it would CLUNK and stop, did that a few times but now it just spins, not engaging. Have taken cover off, the drive cogs appear to be ok, stator has filings all over it. How can I clean stator and what with?

I am thinking that perhaps I need a starter clutch repair kit? Have just ordered a new regulator.

Anybody any experience with this please?

Doug.

Update Reply
doogle9 @ 12/11/2013 13:05  

Take the starter motor and clutch apart first, those bits of metal came from somewhere. It may be a whole unit you need ( ebay) but don't buy anything until you have stripped and found what is wrong. You will also need to check if the filings can get into the crankcase, if it is at all possible it is a whole engine dismantle and clean. Metal filings will scrap an engine in minutes.

Update Reply
xj @ 14/11/2013 09:13  

Thanks for that. I have a good mate local, rebuilt his Kawasaki 900 but he hasn't had the opportunity to call round and see the pile of shit I just bought!!

Update Reply
doogle9 @ 14/11/2013 13:16  

Not necessarily a pile of shit. If you have a garage it could be a winter project which will be a great source of pride next summer, an excuse to learn what makes a bike come to life, an adventure into the world of motorcycle mechanics (fascinating subject) or just an engine that needs a damn good clean and bringing up to original spec. Whatever, do the work and have something personal at the end of it and not just another bike.

Update Reply
xj @ 14/11/2013 18:04  

Hi,

Yeh, was half joking re pile of shit! Unfortunately don't have a garage anymore but have been enjoying tidying it up - wire wool and vinegar is great for getting rust off the chrome! Parts on order and a mate is going to loan me a puller to get the rotor off. He also advised petrol to rinse off the filings from the stator, seems right to me.

Doug.

Update Reply
doogle9 @ 14/11/2013 18:36  

Did you find out where the metal filings came from ? Check the main bearings on both ends of the crank There may be signs of the alternator rotor & stator making contact Those metal particles have come from somwhere in that casing Fitting replacements wouldn't cure the problem Hope it's not that bad Let us know how it turns out

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/11/2013 22:19  

The virago 535 has a history of destroying starter clutches I would make that a first point of interest.....

Update Reply
nellie @ 16/11/2013 20:49  

Thanks nellie,

Mate of mine who rebuilt his Kawasaki 900 called in yesterday, had a look, what I thought were filings turned out to be bits of old gasket crud, I think! Cogs look to be ok......hoping that the clutch repair kit will do the job. We checked out haynes manual together and agreed that was the problem.....fingers crossed!

Update Reply
doogle9 @ 17/11/2013 12:18  

not sure how you get bits of gasket & metal filings confused ??!

Update Reply
1200neil @ 17/11/2013 12:41  

Any update on this Just for the benefit of anyone else with a similar issue It would be nice to know how this problem turned out

Update Reply
Emzed @ 15/12/2013 21:40  

I know this is a bit old but only just see it I have the one before the XV750SE and I have worked on them in my days of a mechanic <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> There’s a tension spring that fits around the dog gear and the top end fits into the casing the idea is the tension of this foresees the dog gear into the gear behind the clutch <o:p></o:p> I must say at this point the noise when you press the starter button is horrible it sound like the thing wants to jump out of the casing that is normal <o:p></o:p> Now a battery that isn’t in good condition it won’t engage properly<o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p> Getting back to the tension spring if you take it off the gear and squeeze the loop end in the vice just a little bit DON’T GO MAD you can break it, It is spring steel<o:p></o:p> It will put more tension on the gear when fitted <o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p> And that should solve your problem <o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2014 02:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email