MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Who thinks the TT races have had their day ?!!

Who thinks the TT races have had their day ?!! - Forums [Biker Match] Who thinks the TT races have had their day ?!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Who thinks the TT races have had their day ?!!

I have been to the TT and Manx races on and off for the past 35 yrs .... but the TT races have changed and the speed that these guys reach nowadays - is it safe to race on those roads ? Should they ride restricted bikes maybe ?
PS Who has gone MAD on MAD SUNDAY ? Was it fun or just MAD ? !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2013 20:38  

I hope it's not had its day... This is my first one. A colleague and his wife have said this is their last year, they are giving it a break after attending it last 15.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2013 20:44  

TT has always been dangerous, nothing new there, been very few years since it started where nobody has been killed. If it had been boxing there would have been uproar!

Yes, the speeds have been increasing but the balance of safety of the riders probably hasn't been affected due to the advances in tyre and bike technology and helmet and clothing technology. The "airbag" race suits now finding their way into Moto GP will be worn by everyone before long.

If you start restricting bikes and introducing new rules you end up with the situation like formula 1 where all the thrill is taken away from it and it becomes a procession.

The bottom line is that riders still want to ride in the TT, partly because it is a purer form of racing. While riders want to ride and people want the watch it has not had it's day - despite all the very obvious risks!

Update Reply
Electricbadger @ 14/04/2013 21:49  

It is like everything in life we are being made to not worry about danger as it is being legislated and rules set..... The whole thing about the TT is that it was the last bastion of pure road racing known world wide and riders wanted to do it because of its nature ....if its made to safe it will die a natural death and I believe it is starting... A lot more rules and safety and people are starting to drift away from it...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2013 04:45  

cant speak for the TT but road racing in Ireland is i think on a slippery slope. (having said that many people have been saying it was finished for the past 20 years or more! lol) this is mainly due to insurance issues and several big claims in the past few years. several races cancelled this year for reasons of finance, especially difficult for the smaller clubs. There will come a time when the insurance will finish us off. the premiums have trebled in 5 years and there is now only one company that will insure us...all the others have refused to insure. there was a debate here in 2011 about restricting the bikes allowed on the road but its difficult to make an argument for allowing some bikes and not others for the reason the superbikes is the safest class to race in (with regards fatalities) the 600 and old 125 classes had the worst record in that regard. The main reason for this is that in superbikes you are rarely "on the edge" of what the bike can do whereas 600's and smaller bikes are ridden to their capacity. Now i know the TT is slightly different coz fatalities happen every year but it has been that way for as long as its been going. Cant see the IOM government allowing their biggest money spinner to fall by the wayside...suspect they would even underwrite the insurance to keep it going if they had to. i suspect you'll find it continues at least on the island while there are still people wanting to race.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 15/04/2013 13:54  

it will probly finish when i.o.m have had enough

Update Reply
havfun @ 15/04/2013 23:05  

I think the TT Has more to come, I've seen a Fatality in front of me and been stopped on the road by another one last year, Speed is dangerous in any form, even F1 cars! if anyone ever wants to sit in a box of hard carbon, pop and see me, I'd rather be on a bike than in one of therm mobile coffins, I know as it's my job! The TT is the greatest motorcycle event in the world, it would be a shame to lose it!

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 16/04/2013 20:48  

nicely put tell

Update Reply
havfun @ 16/04/2013 20:58  

Im with ya Viking - would be a shame to lose it ever !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/04/2013 22:50  

I agree with the other comments, it would be a big shame to loose it. I knew someone that died there pretty sure it was his prefered way to go. I saw a programme about the I.o.m the other week i`m sure they said something like 100 or so fatalities in almost the same amount of years running.

Update Reply
simonchev @ 17/04/2013 18:14  

yep i agree ~ anyone who enters the TT makes the choice to race there and i think a mouth wash with soap is needed to even suggest its had its day pmsl TT is awesome bt i also was totally gobsmacked to see the attitude of a lot of the bike riders over there (not bikers~) who think they own the road over and above other bike riders...... cutting you up at red lights... pulling inside left when They are turning right.... thinking that everyone should move out the way for them....... that really suprised me as i had previously believed that ALL bike riders looked out for each other and believed in a bond.... clearly NOT !!! So that was a real eye opener for me on the attitude of a lot of people on bikes..... when i was there in ག 8 peeps came off the mountain road at teh same marker (not racers, public)....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/04/2013 12:37  

accidents in bike fortnight are common suzi. had a mate broke his bike when some clampet going too fast over the mountain ran into the back of him....mate was doing 70 and the idiot was topping 100+ too fast to see whats in front of you on an open road! (the clampet was killed outright! and my mate is now walking again after 18 months in a wheelchair) the fatality count among visitors is higher than that of racers every year.....that should tell you all you need to know! and im sure you know theres nothing worse than getting on your bike after youve been watching racing.....the brain thinks its Vale unfortunately most dont have the talent to match.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 18/04/2013 13:29  

yep kwak i know accidents are common chick ... that why i put it ~ i stayed with old couple who live there and it was amazing.... thankfully my brain dont think its vale on a harley... part of the reason i got rid of sports bike and bandit.... all they wanted to do was be ridden fast.... and speed isnt the only reason i ride i got mates that race.... the race track is the best place for racing glad your mate is walking again kwakgirl

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/04/2013 13:40  

I've been to the TT once and it was brilliant, I'd go back and do mad sunday on the c90! Everyone should go at least once so nope it hasn't had it's day, no way!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/04/2013 21:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email