MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Tyres, pressures, makes and a professional opinion...

Tyres, pressures, makes and a professional opinion... (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Tyres, pressures, makes and a professional opinion... (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Tyres, pressures, makes and a professional opinion...

ah can alwyas count on GreasyTony xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/03/2013 20:16  

was speaking to a guy in the tyre place and he said in winter if your tyre is flattened from long motorway runs and it is set to the top recommended pressures and cold when you lean in a turn as it crosses the edge of that flattened bit you do get a moment where you have a lot less than normal on the road and if the road is greasy wet or what ever it increases the likely hood of a tyre giving way....

......tip make sure you are running pressure for what you are carrying, ie solo rider...solo + baggage- Two up etc....and take it very easy until the tyre is warmed up especially in winter....

nothing feels better than a freshy run in decent tyre..... I hate that feed back from a tyre thats flattened when you are on bend or turning slowly...always feels unstable...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/04/2013 00:10  

This is the recommendation for my
HARLEY-DAVIDSON FXDC Dyna Super Glide Custom models, 2006-2012Original Equipment Sizes: Front: 100/90-19 57H Rear: 160/70 B 17 73V

I'm running on the Scorcher 31's at the moment, my last Dyna Super Glide Custom had the Commanders on, but I wasn't very impressed with them in the rain... the Scorcher's on the other hand are VERY good in the rain.
Commander II (Front) Size: 100/90B19 57H Tube: 19MF Show me more Commander II (Rear)Size: 160/70B17 73V Tube: 17MI Show me more Scorcher "31" (Front) Size: 100/90B19 57H Approved Harley-Davidson fitment Show me more
Scorcher "31" (Rear)Size: 160/70B17 73V Approved Harley-Davidson fitment Show me more

Update Reply
Harley_Rider @ 12/04/2013 06:39  

i totally agree Harley Rider. my bike came with Michelin Scorchers and they are totally amazing.... they have never once twitched in any conditions and i dont mess about in corners i scrape my pegs all the time.... in all drizzle, torrential rain on motorway or elsewher, b roads covered in mud., salt caked roads, grit.... muddy rallie fields.... she has never once let me down amazing tyres are Michelin Scorchers and of course Valentino Rossi's preferred tyre was always previously Michelin... so hahahahaha what more can i say!!! obviously i always set off aware that my tyres are not warm yeet..... so ride to the conditions bt these tyres really are teh bees knees!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/04/2013 12:17  

So if you have an off and don't claim then there will be no report from police to insurers?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/04/2013 18:35  

you should use the tyre presures that are given by the tyre manufacturer not what the bike maker says give or take a few psi . most modern profiles need at least 34 psi to maintain the correct profle.

Update Reply
christof @ 04/05/2013 21:53  

So if you have an off and don't claim then there will be no report from police to insurers?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/05/2013 21:37  

Cristof so we should all run at the max psi as stated by the tyre manufacturer? bearing in mind that a tyre is made for a multitude of different bikes of different weights and performance level's. I really don't see how that work's as a bike can be ridden solo or with a pillion, solo with luggage, or with both pillion and luggage all making a variable on the weight of the bike and differences' on performance and handling

Update Reply
JP @ 13/05/2013 08:24  

I always thought the pressure stated on the side of the tyre was the max safe pressure for that tyre. Not a recomended pressure.

I always use the pressure in the manual because that takes into account the wieght of the bike. Then I adjust by a couple of pounds either way until I find what pressure suits the bike best

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 16/05/2013 18:40  

Unless the tyres are OEM then their pressures should be that which is recommended by the tyre manufacturer

Most of them will have a reference database which should be available to your supplier/fitter

You should ask them, when buying tyres, for the recommended pressures for them
( unless you fit your own in which case you should make your own enquiries as to the recommended pressure for the tyres on your bike )

To my mind I think the supplier/fitter should be required by law to advise you of the correct pressures for the tyres that they sell you

After all we pay enough for them, surely a printout, for your make & model bike regarding the tyres, ought to be part of the service

There are so many variables, but as Vlad says start with the bike manufacturers recommended pressures
(providing they are an EXACT size equivalent ie. width & aspect ratio)

Making small adjustments to pressures back and front can make a "world" of difference to the way a bike feels and handles

But I would recommend doing them one at a time

I start with the front, ( because I'm paranoid ) but once I'm happy with the steering at the front and grip limits at moderate speeds (nothing extreme at this stage)

Whilst doing this you may find that its the rear which feels less "sure footed" first so obviously this is where attention becomes focussed until "comfort" returns

I generally set the rear second, because whilst I'm exploring the rear tyre limits I am aware of where I am ( in terms of the front tyre )

But as mentioned above sometimes it's the rear which has the sphincter muscles in spasm

It is very much an individual rider/bike combination because we're all different and we all ride slightly differently

It's very unlikely that even two identical bikes, with identical tyres will have identical riders

My approach is to be careful and do it in small steps, no more than 2 PSI either way

That way you can get close to an optimum pressure

Check them REGULARLY with a reliable gauge

They are your first and last line of defense between you and the tarmac

The most precious piece of equipment on your motorcycle

Look after them, they are your two best friends

Ride safe Ride free

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/05/2013 23:32  

In answer to your question Johnny

I suspect that there will be a Police report in the event of an "off"

However, if you don't make a claim

The insurers may not ask the Police for a copy of it, if they have to pay for it

If you don't claim, they wont be able to claim it back from the other parties insurers as legitimate "expenses"

Or claim it against their TAX bill

Don't know if that makes the issue clearer or not

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/05/2013 01:37  

what I'm looking at is the bump in my premium when I renew, I am just thinking of not declaring it. It was a low speed rear end slide on black ice/ grit.....hasnt cost the insurance anything and it wasnt through any speed or negligence so I dont see why I should be penalised....insurance assessment is the biggest kind of legalised robbery I have ever heard of today....

so no reports flying about or central data base that they tap into....thats my question?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2013 16:43  

If the police were not there and you don't tell the ins there will be no record of it

Update Reply
JP @ 09/06/2013 10:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email