MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Help/advice please??

Help/advice please?? - Forums [Biker Match] Help/advice please?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Help/advice please??

I got a new Tiger 800 on 1st March this year and have ridden nearly 8000 miles on her to date. I had the lowered seat, and then got the 'bones' fitted to lower it a further 25mm. Two questions: 1. having had it lowered, the side stand isn't that stable when I park up. I understand this may require the side stand being shortened/changed - any advice/help please? I live on the coast in Hampshire 2. Only passed my test last year and my other bike is a ducati monster. On this bike though, the front wheel really steers/wobbles badly on certain road surfaces - I have been advised this may be due to the type of tyres. They came on the bike and are typical of an adventure bike (nothing like the tyres on my ducati) - knobbly and harder. I am trying to learn here. Should I try changing the tyres??? If so, to what??? If not, - advice please??? H xx

Update Reply
LovingLife @ 18/09/2012 20:04  

hi, easy job realy. if you have a look at the side stand you will see that it is limited by a lug or lump of metal as to how for it can go forward when its down , what you need to do is grind away some of that metal bit at a time untill the stand when down is slightly further forward this in efect will lower it , do not try to shorten the stand

Update Reply
christof @ 18/09/2012 21:16  

if you grind the frame there is no going back if you shorten the stand you can always fit a standard one to put back to normal

Update Reply
JP @ 18/09/2012 21:26  

done dozons and put some back spot of weld with the mig job done , you can usualy take the grinder to the lug on the stand anyway

Update Reply
christof @ 18/09/2012 21:32  

makes sense chris

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 18/09/2012 21:40  

hmmmm - yep Helen can see you wielding a grinder! feck - just make sure theres no one near ya! lol as to the tyre issue - yep try changing them could be that they are flatted off round the centre then you will wobble like hell in corners or on any road thats not a bowling green (which is none in this country!)

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 19/09/2012 17:17  

Thank you for all comments - much appreciated :)) x

debs - yup! Rides just as you say :((

H
x

Update Reply
LovingLife @ 19/09/2012 21:33  

Yep I concur with genius above.
8K miles and chances are the back tyre is knackered and the front not far behind.

Stupid thing to say but make sure the tyre pressures are right.

Pal of mine bought a SV650 cheap a few years back because the seller, having been riding for a summer, announced the handling was now holding him back.

Front tyre 18psi.....

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 20/09/2012 19:42  

Rear on mt tiger800 was knackered at less than 7000 miles... h ave now changed to michellin pr3 which is a road type tyre much smoother and grippier than stock scorpions... they only come in size for road version not the XC dunno which you have ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2012 06:17  

And if you havent already, worth a look at www.tiger800.co.uk lots of useful info on there

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2012 06:26  

Thank you guys - noted.

It's an 800, not xc
Pressures are good - I keep on top of that.
Tyre change seems way to go :)

thank you everyone! Much appreciated!

H
x

Update Reply
LovingLife @ 21/09/2012 08:02  

I had the exact same problem with my much lowered Harley Sportster. The bike stood so tall on the kickstand that I was convinced the slightest gust of wind would topple it. I fitted a lowered stand and it was sorted.

There's a place in the States that sells an adjustable lowered stand for your bike. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than the damage if it fell over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiger-800-Adjustable-Lowering-Kick-Side-Stand-Kickstand-2011-2012-Sidestand-NEW-/150825813226

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/09/2012 22:41  

just found this dont grind the stand lug, much easier to cut a bit out the stand than get it welded back together, if you have to go longer with it at any time just weld the bit back in or get a used stand of ebay. Simple

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 24/09/2012 23:17  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email