MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Scotoiler tip

Scotoiler tip - Forums [Biker Match] Scotoiler tip - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Scotoiler tip

A mate gave me this one: make a bracket for the front sprocket and use chainsaw oil. Not tried it yet but the scot oil is thin and goes everywhere.
anyone tried this or other way?

And anyone know how to rectify a newbies incompetence by removing a double-posted topic? Sorry

Update Reply
Freebooter @ 02/08/2012 03:31  

Hi and welcome to the club, hope you enjoy your time here with us. I've asked one of the moderators to delete it for you. If it happens again just click on the 'notify mod' button/icon and type a message to them and they will oblige.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/08/2012 07:22  

duplicate post deleted

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 02/08/2012 08:48  

and talking of Scotoilers.... I've never had a (working) one on a bike before and our recently aquired Bonneville has one fitted (looks like the standard V system)... erm, how do i switch it 'on' ? i know it only feeds with the engine running, just wondered where to set the big knob on top to... ta Neil

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2012 10:26  

Cheers girls. Kindred tykes do it again. I miss home sometimes.

Neil: It was on mine fitted as well. No instructions but I gather it's vacuum fed from a carb inlet. I've set mine to no.1 on the dial as the other end has 'prime' on it, so believe it would run faster. That's the theory anyhow.

..and these 'nods'. A way of sayin 'ta' or an equivalent of a 'wink'?? Don't wanna get it wrong now do I.

Update Reply
Freebooter @ 02/08/2012 12:20  

yeah I wasnt really sure which end of the scale was 'min' and 'max' so i guess i'll try it in the middle to start with..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2012 12:52  

Stella it was the other thread for deletion not this one LOL. Will you delete my last post please?, in this thread, and this post when you've deleted that?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/08/2012 13:53  

Freebooter, a nod has many different meanings depending on who is sending it. It was introduced to replace the wink, cos that was deemed, by some, too familiar.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/08/2012 13:58  

I'm never keen on front sprocket oiling, the rear tyre is behind it so if it drips onto the road or in the garage and you ride over it... Well you get the Idea. my favourite oiler of all the ones I've fitted is this one http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/about_us.htm Easy to fit and wired to my rear light, and easy to adjust and the oil is spot on, not too tacky either.

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 02/08/2012 14:46  

A heavy gear oil (90w) works in mine no problem.

Update Reply
S24_SDJ @ 02/08/2012 16:01  

Sandi: Really? So a nod is not as good as a wink. Or is it? I think I'll take a nod as the same as a poke in the ribs. It gets my attention.

VT: See the point but maybe the thicker oil would aleviate that. And whats with the wiring for the pdoiler? Every time you brake it squirts? Must be hell in town.

Update Reply
Freebooter @ 02/08/2012 20:43  

It's connected to the rear light that is on all the time when bike is ridden, there is a timer on a solenoid that has a pump every 50 seconds or so to release a small drip, when Ignition off the pump stops. Much easier than the Vacuum set up jobbies.

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 02/08/2012 21:01  

I have to agree with Tel The vacuum type work well under "normal" road conditions ( I have a Scott on my other Duke ) But for prolonged high speed work (motorways) they can leave the chain "unlubed" for many miles The constant feed electronic one is my choice for the current Duke He'll be getting one for Christmas

Update Reply
Emzed @ 02/08/2012 21:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email