MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Insurance quotes

Insurance quotes - Forums [Biker Match] Insurance quotes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Insurance quotes

Once again my insurance is up for my 3 bike multi policy with Carol Nash, Shock Horror they wanted £460 this year, So I decided to phone them and tell a little fib saying that I have rung round for other quotes and the cheapest was £380 comprehensive including legal cover and break down cover.
The chap on the end of the phone was really understanding and after 10 minutes reduced their original quote by £130.
It just goes to show never settle for the original quote, get on the phone and haggle with them even if it does mean telling a few fibs.

Update Reply
boxercup @ 26/06/2012 19:12  

I was quoted £900 to renew my car ins. Was quoted £650 by another company. so my original insurer said thy could reduce the renewal to £640. I told them to stuff it they should have quoted that in the first place instead of trying to rip me off. So I paid the extra £10 and changed companies as a matter of principle.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 26/06/2012 19:44  

Vladimir, firstly, can I ask what car you drive, must be pretty slick with a premium like that.
Secondly I can't read your post without continually hearing the meerkat voiceover from the compare adverts

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2012 20:25  

the meerkats name is alexander not vladamir pmsl

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 26/06/2012 21:38  

Ive just bought insurance. My renewal with Aviva was £354 inc breakdown cover. So went online and did the usual search and as a new customer with Aviva and the same policy was £160!!! I have now gone elsewhere for £154 paying monthly. I did phone Aviva and the best they could do as an existing customer was £260. They just throw away existing customers out with the bath water.

Update Reply
Helsbell @ 26/06/2012 22:07  

...And look what they do for new customers too, forgeting the existing ones like us .............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2012 22:10  

beware of aviva they're liars. when i got my renewal quote from them for a van i told them i'd got a cheaper quote and was going elsewhere. then they put on the insurance database, or whatever they call it, that i was carrying dangerous chemicals and no one else would insure me, even the ones i'd got a cheaper quote from. i had to go back and insure with aviva for another year. next year i sold the van to get away from them. would'nt touch that lot now with a barge pole.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/06/2012 00:49  

Aviva (who used to be Norwich Union) were my insurer for for about 25 years My first "rider policy" cost me £16 for "unlimited" capacity and ANY bike whether mine or not, as it was ME who was insured not the bike The premiums got more and more expensive until I could only afford to insure "up to 350" fire and theft I went back later to get insurance for multiple bikes and had their Premier Bike policy but that only covered 8 bikes (I would have had to have another policy for any more) Eventually that policy became too expensive so I just found the cheapest and went with a few other well known insurers until I ended up with my current insurer Footman James I'm reasonably happy with the price and cover for 4 bikes @ £142 inc breakdown,o/seas travel and no mileage limit Only drawback is, that it is a "classic" bike policy with no "no claims" bonus Which caused a problem with trying to insure a 250 with Swinton who ended up charging me £120 !! Needless to say I'm back with FJ now and am satisfied with the cover and price considering what some are having to pay "busafeller", were you carrying "dangerous chemicals" ? If so the insurance companies are well within their rights, as well as being their responsibility, to share such information with other brokers If you weren't carrying them, you should have got in touch with the "Insurance Ombudsman" to force them to retract their spurious information

Update Reply
Emzed @ 27/06/2012 01:16  

not carrying them. never have, never said i have. it was aviva who put this about to stop anyone else insuring me. i needed insurance straight away. how long would it have taken to go thro the ombudsman. how much hassle would i get. just not worth it. i know i should have done something, all i can do is warn others. there should be a website to publicise this. thats the way to get back at them.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/06/2012 00:29  

Sorry busafeller but you played right into their hands by NOT phoning the ombudsman service They would have intervened "instantly" on your behalf and you would have been able get insurance on the day You effectively gave in to their "blackballing" tactics, which was tantamount to demanding money with menaces By going through the ombudsman you would have protected others from this illegal and punitive action By not reporting it you gave them licence to "do as they pleased" instead of following the proper rules of fair trading in a transparent manner Publishing such information on any website would have had a minimal effect on Aviva They would just shrug accusations like these off and refuse to change their ways until "officially" challenged and reprimanded because they think they are too BIG to be challenged Look at the revelations which have just surfaced about Barclay's Do you think they would have been brought to account if "official" investigations had not been instigated No amount of web postings would have got the result we have just seen, it needed an investigation by the FSA to bring it all to light Hard battles have been fought to get these services established If people don't use them they become effectively redundant and exist only on paper I'm sorry that you were victimized by an unscrupulous broker, but if these malpractices are not reported they will continue with impunity and we ALL suffer What they did to you was unfair, immoral and illegal and they deserve to be brought to account for it From what you have said they effectively stopped you from going elsewhere thereby interfering with your right to trade freely and fairly in the marketplace It isn't too late to report it and you may even get compensation for your treatment by them Think seriously about it, complaining on here or any other forum will NOT stop them but the regulator WILL

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/06/2012 01:32  

dial direct fully comp with breakdown for my zzr1100 £168 per year

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 29/06/2012 10:12  

busafella forget the ombudsman service you should have gone to a solicitor and sued them. if thay claimed you were caring dangerous goods uninsured and without an ADR you would have not had to ever worry about how much thay would charge you ever again. the payout would have been in the 10s of thousands

Update Reply
JP @ 29/06/2012 10:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email