MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Karma points

Karma points (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Karma points (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Karma points

To me, Karma points are just something to show how much people get involved in the site.....

Someone with no picture and no Karma points just means someone not interested or committed to the site, the people and the community they both represent.

Someone with a filled out profile, lots of pictures and a high Karma mean they get involved. They go to events, post their opinions and generally make the site what it is, and not here to get what they can without investing back in the site and community. I say leave it be...

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 09/10/2011 19:48  

@Matt. I’m disappointed at your response. But I do agree “…It makes the site a lot more dynamic.” But to say “…and it makes SOME people return to the site when otherwise they might not.” Not in a million light years would I believe that. If anything, it p***es me right off! Seriously, it does. I would have been far happier if you had called it “Site-Karma” or the like, because that’s precisely what it is. It is most definitely not Karma, unless ofcourse, you really are “The Boss!" Joke aside, it does have a major flaw though. Depending on the karma rating, reflects how active a member is. Bearing in mind this site also acts as a dating site (?), who in their right mind would want to date a “player?” I agree with Boss Mom’s ; “…no real competition issues or need for extraneous posts or Pms…” We’re here to enjoy and chill out, not to get wound up by it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 19:49  

Howsabout a bottom 20? You may have to obtain certain 'criteria' to be admitted.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 20:06  

I must say that if you have high karma dont mean you do alot on the site just look down the top 20 then see how much or little thay do ?

Update Reply
JP @ 09/10/2011 20:16  

So, one person says high karma means a member is involved with the site and trustworthy, another says high karma makes someone a "player" and why would anyone want to date a player?
No-one WANTS to date a player of course, but what do you believe?? Neither version is 100% right or wrong

Get rid of the karma thereby getting rid of the competition and the misconceptions

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 09/10/2011 20:27  

@HippyRockChick “….Get rid of the karma thereby getting rid of the competition and the misconceptions.” I couldn’t agree more.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 20:32  

Hehe Top 20??? I used to be in the top 5 in the first few months after I joined. I was posting regularly, in chat every night and making the effort to get involved and become a part of something.

The site works, the system works. You just have to take the overview that everything is what it is for a reason. Things don't always work out how you intend, but that doesn't make it wrong...

People are shallow and a first impression makes all the difference. Karma is just one more indicator. It's not perfect, but it does help weed out the active people from the disinterested dabblers....

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 09/10/2011 20:36  

dose enyone look at the karma ????
i wasent awaer it ment so menny thing to so menny peeps
but it got lots of peeps chating

Update Reply
kaycat @ 09/10/2011 20:41  

It does and it doesn't Kay. I always look to see if someone has at least some level of Karma. If they have none, they're either a complete newbie or just passing through and chancing their luck to see what might happen.

If there's at least some percentage, they're at least making the effort...

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 09/10/2011 20:46  

thanks sharky hugs xx

Update Reply
kaycat @ 09/10/2011 20:50  

Sharky just take a look down the top 20 fellas and tell me why most are there ?

Update Reply
JP @ 09/10/2011 20:51  

I really couldn't say JP. Why are any of us here? We join up trying to find someone like-minded, a potential soul-mate perhaps. We all have an emptiness that needs fulfilling in one form or another.

BM provides a way to at least get in touch with future friends, potential partners, and we learn from our mistakes along the way. Everyone gets something different from the experience, but in the end, if we don't at least try to do something about our lot in life, we'll stagnate and regret it. Gotta take the leap of faith that whatever any of us search for is out there waiting to be found. If a pretty blue bar under a picture helps us decide along that path, who's to say it's a bad thing?

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 09/10/2011 21:01  

i think jp meant why/how are they in top 20 sharky, not why are they on the site x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 21:03  

So how long now before this thread gets deleted?

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 09/10/2011 21:20  

escellent point BD

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 21:25  

Sorry, I guess I shot from the hip there. The point being, anyone in the top 20 has spent a lot of time on the site, getting involved one way or another. Whether that be upfront posting in the forums, going to events, PM'ing other members or doing whatever it is that earns Karma points from their activities.

Whatever their personal reasons, they're using the site, and their Karma rating reflects that. It's a measure of their usage, no more, no less.

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 09/10/2011 21:28  

it was pointed out to me that one of the top 20 guys puts his name down for multiple events every week - as many as 4 in one night sometimes, and countrywide so impossible to do. i'm guessing this earns lots of virtual karma as i've never seen him post anything on threads and, although i've only been to a few events, no one i know have ever seen him at any event.
i did pm him to ask for his route one wednesday evening that enabled him to get to so many events so quickly, but sadly he didnt reply!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 21:37  

If that's the case, it's just an abuse of the system. Find a loophole and exploit it. Not everyone is like that, so why denounce a system when it's the fault of the human abusing it?

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's what we have to work with. Help or hindrance depends on your own personal opinions...

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 09/10/2011 21:46  

I know who you are talking about, Mandy. He is supposed to be at the Autumn Camp in Lincs this weekend. And at the Carole Nash Classic M/C Show in Stafford. And at the Spewz & Snooze rally in Scotland. And at the Hoggin the Bridge in Avon. Every week he goes to Rivi Barn, Reading Bike Nite, Navigation Inn in Solihull,Wheatsheaf Bike Meet in Wolverhampton, Scotch Piper Inn in L'pool, KnottEnd Cafe nr Blackpool. That's to be commended, especially as he lives in Leicester!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 21:59  

i think thats why its been suggested that the whole virtual karma thing be done away with, but failing that, at least have no top 20 so theres no motivation to even bother finding a loophole!
difference of opinion is very positive and debate is to be commended, but it would appear that matt is unwilling to even consider any dialogue on this matter - maybe the compromise of simply having no top 20 will appeal more???!! or maybe, bomb doctor may be proved right?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/10/2011 22:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email