MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Your opinion: Top 20 members

Your opinion: Top 20 members - Forums [Biker Match] Your opinion: Top 20 members - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Your opinion: Top 20 members

Following discussions with SK, I'm looking for your opinions on the "top 20 guys/gals" sections. These pages are supposed to show those with a high "karma" on the site, created from profile views, winks, last visit time, etc. What do you think the maths should be in calculating this "top 20"? Do you think we should have it at all? I created it as a bit of a space filler when the site didn't have much content. The maths I think would work well is... ("no. winks" X "no. profile views in past fortnight") '/. number of days ago user last visited the site.Then the whole "karma" score multiplied by 2 if your a subscribed user. This would give a fair bias towards subscribed users, and would remove users who haven't viewed the site in months. The more complicated the script, the more strain it will put onto the server and the longer the pages will take to load.. Cheers

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/06/2007 15:02  

FFS! I just posted in 'subscriptions' about this lol IMHO I say it should be a show case not a Top 20 list, show case ALL FULL members in rotation, I hate fuggin maths and aint got a clue what your equation means Matt I'll STFU now >>>>heads for the door>>>> Kwak

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2007 18:53  

??????????????????????????

Update Reply
Sexysmirnoff @ 14/06/2007 20:16  

ill second that bb lol

Update Reply
RC @ 14/06/2007 21:02  

well say your profile has 100 views in the past 2 weeks, and you've received 15 winks in total, and you last visited today or yesterday, and you're a subscribed user. Then, your "karma" as other sites call it would be... 100 x 15 = 1500 <<<Views x Winks '/, 1 = 1500 <<<Divided by only 1 coz u accessed today x 2 = 3000 <<< times 2 as your subscribed. Now, if you were the same person but you wasn't subscribed, then you would remove the last line (x2) and you would have half the Karma (1500). If you hadn't been to the site for a week, then it would look like this.... 100 x 15 = 1500 <<<Views x Winks '/, 7 = 214.29 <<<Divided by 7 coz u accessed 7 days ago x 2 = 428.57 <<< times 2 as your subscribed. See where this is going? It's not currently so complex, as its a powerful calculation which has to be run on 5,000 members before the "top 20" karma rated people can be calculated.

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/06/2007 05:48  

could also include forum post count and winks sent to push people to be more "active". It really is supposed to be about who's active and doing stuff online.

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/06/2007 05:49  

well looks i need to get out more then

Update Reply
RC @ 15/06/2007 07:00  

Its ok having the top 20 gals & guys on there but what about the other members cant you have top 100 lol instead of 20!!

Update Reply
jude831 @ 15/06/2007 08:29  

All that calculation FFS it's a social site not Mensa lol Quote Matt: It really is supposed to be about who's active and doing stuff online. 'Supposed' being the operative word, I spend a lot of time on here and hardly ever saw my profile featured so maybe I didn't fit into the Mensa calculations, tho I did find it odd that standard members/newbies, who hadn't visited the site in almost a week, were featured. Forum post count?? Make ya mind up, ya were complaining that folk posted too much crud, if ya include the post count, as a factor to getting your mug shot featured more, you're goin to have more crud posts, aint ya? Winks? No fuggin comment!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/06/2007 08:38  

good point on the forum posts etc. Its a very complicated subject, and the maths are even worse!!! Whatever the "calculation" will be has to be run on 5,000+ members and then the top X pulled from the list. It puts a lot of strain on the server and causes slow page load times. Its a simple one at the moment, which clearly isnt fit for purpose and i wont deny it.

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/06/2007 16:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email