MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Should I mention my bike on my CV?

Should I mention my bike on my CV? - Forums [Biker Match] Should I mention my bike on my CV? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Should I mention my bike on my CV?

I've been updating my CV today and was about to mention in the 'Hobbies/Interest' bit that I had a bike. But then I've been having second thoughts......

Like everything in life some people love bikes and some hate them.

What if the person sifting through the pile of CV's tosses mine into the bin because they think bikes are dangerous and bikers take too many risks and are potentially going to be off work due to injuries?

What do you think?

Have you all included it on your CV's?

Has it given you any extra kudos with the HR manager and actually helped you get the job?

Anybody got any good stories?

Update Reply
lisaj @ 15/08/2011 21:13  

Ask the receptionist if the HR chief is a biker. If he is, add to CV, if not, don't chance it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/08/2011 21:27  

It probably wouldn't help you get the job but street cred would go through the roof when you turn up at work on the bike though

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 15/08/2011 21:30  

I've sent it off in an email without it mentioned!

Daren't risk it being an issue.

Update Reply
lisaj @ 15/08/2011 22:22  

But did u mention yr dodgy leg, yr beady eyes, or that yr a rite gobby mare?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/08/2011 22:30  

No, I thought I'd let them find that out at the interview.

Update Reply
lisaj @ 15/08/2011 22:40  

Just tell them your a good christian and always eat fish on a friday.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/08/2011 23:12  

Good luck, Lisa
Might get your advice on CV writing sometime !!!

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 15/08/2011 23:23  

Don't include the homing signal your car has for Ninja's

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/08/2011 23:29  

Alice - we have a few acres down here for you to practice ten point turns in - we have cut down the hedges and cleared all the adjoining fields for you as well !!!!!!!! GL btw Lisa

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 15/08/2011 23:35  

Go for it Lisa - don't tell them until you get the job - then turn up in your clad on your bike (element of surprise) - don't forget the shake of the head when you take your lid off (in case you wondering no it never worked for me that bit!!!)
Good Luck

Update Reply
chickflick75 @ 15/08/2011 23:37  

Hi Lisa, I don't see why you shouldn't mention your bike in your hobbies/interest section of your C V. It's part of who you are, part of your life. As long as you mention other hobbies/interests too, something that shows you can work as part of a team, that way they can ask you about your other hobbies. I remember putting on my C V about having a bike etc and in an interview the interviewer asked me about my hobbies and I said 'mainly motobrbikes' I didn't give her something else she could ask me about and it killed the conversation. Have you ever seen a human rabbit in the headlights? that was her lol Good luck with the job you're applying for, let us know how you get on.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/08/2011 23:49  

"Just tell them your a good christian and always eat fish on a friday."

Or tell them that you're a good fish and always eat christians on a friday?

Why not put bikes down as a hobby etc? I have it on my CV and it's always a good talking point. Plus you'd be amazed how many people ride bikes; just cos the guy is sat on the other side of his huge desk wearing his £2k Savile Row, don't mean he ain't a biker!

Recently I went to a meeting on my bike and sat there amongst a load of pin stripes in my leathers and t-shirt only to find that they all rode bikes as well! The next meeting I went to with the same people (last Friday), I thought I'd go in the car all suited up and my clients turned up on their bikes because "I'd made them feel guilty about not using them" lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 16/08/2011 13:41  

Thanks for all the good luck messages.

I think I'm going to have to do several versions depending on the job I'm going for. - listing rug making and balloon twisting as my hobbies on one, then add bikes to another

@Chickflick - I always try the hair/head shake thing when taking my lid off too, but it never looks quite right on me either (more like a shaggy dog shaking it's head because it's got a flea in its ear)

Loved hearing about your experiences Sandi and Geoffb

Update Reply
lisaj @ 17/08/2011 14:01  

I wouldn't mention the balloon you made for Heidi in your CV lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/08/2011 14:05  

No, perhaps I'd better not

Update Reply
lisaj @ 17/08/2011 14:14  

Lisa, I have it on my CV , my last job I had a 40 min chat with the MD as he had just passed his test & had got his 1st big bike lol

It did raise a few eyebrows the 1st time I used it to go to work on tho ... apparently not many people working for accountants use bikes & certainly not (according to one guy) someone who looked as feminine as me (suits n skirts for work )

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/08/2011 19:06  

yes i agree with geoff,the person interviewing you mite be a biker,and would be a good talking point.

Update Reply
picko @ 24/08/2011 19:05  

Just sent my CV off for several vacancies with the bike included - lets see what reaction i get to those.

Fingers crossed

Update Reply
lisaj @ 25/08/2011 12:59  

Biking on your cv?

I think it depends on whether you think you can talk ot into a plus point. If you can say with some conviction that its about freedom, solo achievement, ownership, not taking the obvious solution, thinking in a different way, etc you might tick some of the buzz words the interviewer is looking for.
G.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 25/08/2011 23:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email