MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Isp

Isp - Forums [Biker Match] Isp - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Isp

I am thinking of going over to BT for my telephone and internet. At the moment I am paying about £20 for my phone and £20 a month for the internet. Its fine, very good in fact.

However, I have noticed that BT have hot spots, and I can access these for £5 a day. This is great when I am down at my mums, connect to the web and all. Brilliant. But a fiver a shot. Not so good.

So the good news is, once you are with BT you get free access to the hot spots as your router will become one.

But before I take the plunge and sign an 18 month contract, does anyone have any opinion of the BT internet?

I work through the day, and not so much in the evening.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2010 14:31  

1) Don't go off monthly prices. The cheaper ones are cheap for a reason. 2) Don't sign up to anything that allows other people to use your internet connection! They don't just get access to the internet, but also YOUR communication/network traffic and therefore they can steal your content, bank data, etc. Not to mention download music and get you sent to court.

Update Reply
Matt @ 22/07/2010 14:41  

That is my fear Matt. The £20 a month I pay for internet is expensive for what I get, but its been so reliable!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2010 14:44  

Id go for quality mate rather than just on price and am with bt and dont have many probs with them,there gain i need it for my business so dont need the loss of conection as i know some providers do have..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2010 17:28  

if u have a mobile contract it worth looking what they provide eg.orange ,o2 etc
u get good deals off them and they pay your line rental too. ive been with orange for years and had less problems than i ever had with BT

Update Reply
dunans @ 22/07/2010 17:34  

I do all mine through sky, I was with talk talk and had no end of trouble with them

Update Reply
gordon62 @ 22/07/2010 18:25  

forgot to mention though, my on line security is through my bank free of charge

Update Reply
gordon62 @ 22/07/2010 18:28  

I am with BT mainly because its the only option in my area .. I have never had a problem with it in the years I have used them and have to say the twice I have had to ring tech help they were really helpful and patient - especially when I realised the reason I had no wi fi was because I had accidentally switched it off on my laptop :) I get a reduced rate now which they always offer you when your contract is up for renewal so yep I would recommend them

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2010 18:52  

I have my mobile & my net at my house with O2 ... mainly cos I used to work for them so still get it cheap ... however before I was with BT & was told by them that I lived too far from the exchange to be able to get more than 4meg down the line, and that this also accounted for the outages that I suffered, as I worked for O2 I got the max that they could throw at me for a fixed price ... turned out to be 16meg ! and have never had an issue.

One of the reasons is because O2 bought out Be broadband's home side of things, they only dealt with business use & so had a good infrastructure, just did not have the umpf to get into the home broadband side of things.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/07/2010 19:20  

Like with anything else . . shop around. I renewed my orange mobile contract a couple of years ago and got their orangehome service. Unlimited broadband, line rental included for £15 a month. You miss out on bt extras like call preference, and call divert options, but it is good for what i need. other mobile companys will offer home packages at reasonable rates, just takes looking into. I have found though, whatever you pay, somebody will always tell you they get better! Shop around, and do what best suits you and your needs.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2010 19:44  

I had free broadband via my orange mobile. They cocked up the 'free' aspect and started billing me. Despite many calls challenging this and assurances that it would all be sorted, letters written to their complaints department and a written assurance that I wasn't liable, I started receiving letters informing me that the debt was going to be handed to a debt collection agency. Told them to stuff it , went with BT & that has been fine. As soon as my mobile contracts were up (3 - mine & 2 daughters') they lost my mobile business, & went with vodafone (much better deal)

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/07/2010 20:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email