MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Which chain oiler to fit?

Which chain oiler to fit? - Forums [Biker Match] Which chain oiler to fit? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Which chain oiler to fit?

I'm soon to be replacing chain n sprockets and want to fit small drip feed scot oiler, any recommendations plz?

Update Reply
cbrgirl @ 26/12/2012 13:18  

i use the scotoiler with the twin feeds, it's excellent but can be a bit messy sometimes if you don't keep the metering adjusted right, but its easier to clean the back wheel now and again than to have to keep oiling the chain,

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/12/2012 13:44  

Check out this thread CBR girl There is a link in there to a different kind of oiler Recommended by a professional* mechanic http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...c_id=10636 *Works at Silverstone

Update Reply
Emzed @ 26/12/2012 15:17  

I've always used scottoiler's on chain drive bikes and recommend them. Never tried the others though but provided they work they will keep your chain happy.
I'm currently running a dual oiler however as the inside always clogs up just leaving the outside to dribble it's been a waste of money. Could just something to do with the layout of the rear wheel & sprocket assembly.
Expect 30K miles from your chain & sprox with a decent chain oiler.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 26/12/2012 18:08  

And the song...
"How many Scotts could a Scottoil oil if a Scottoil could oil Scotts"

Nurse, NURSE...

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 26/12/2012 18:09  

Is it a pdoiler Emzed? Had a brief look not bad, if the main section fits under the seat, even better :)

Update Reply
cbrgirl @ 26/12/2012 18:57  

Thanks Steve_H the duel oiler sounds bit messy...with white fairings sounds too much like hard work ha!

Update Reply
cbrgirl @ 26/12/2012 19:01  

Yeah CBR girl, it's the electronic oiler in Viking Tel's post Apart from the electronic box (which looks about the size of a relay) they look aout the same size as a Scott In my opinion it's a better system for not relying on the engine Best of luck with whatever you choose Your chains & sprockets will show the value in increased mileage Oops, almost forgot You could check this one out Tutoro Auto oiler

Update Reply
Emzed @ 27/12/2012 00:11  

What ever one you use keep it turn right down because they over oil and then dirt just clings to everything

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2012 11:16  

I have a scotoiler duel, and its fab. Was recommended by a lass I know. I had it set up to the recommended drip ratio but found it was a bit too much (as Bob.mac says dirt does cling) so turned it down a wee bit more and not a problem. I got mine from the Scotoiler site when they had an offer on, although I know you can get em off ebay and the like. worth looking round and then seeing if you can cashback it too (ebay, get geared, amazon etc can all be cashbacked). being new to the whole riding melarky, I decided i would utilise anything that made looking after the bike easier. This certainly does. All the reviews I read make me think that most of the different ones are pretty much along the same lines so its a personal choice as to which you choose.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 27/12/2012 13:04  

Keeping a chain clean is just as important as keeping it lubed Otherwise you're just making grinding paste to wear it out

Update Reply
Emzed @ 27/12/2012 18:07  

aaaaarrrggghh no no!!ive found it to be dodgy as when turned up too much they tend to spin oil onto leaning edge of tyre and ya dont want that do we!!!no!.....do it old school and apply high melting point grease....HI POINT GREASE(latex gloves a good idea)no problemo...bit of a task but worth it!!...rtegards max

Update Reply
max4fun2012 @ 28/12/2012 19:33  

Scott Oilers were conceived and designed when chains were "open" linked Before the advent of "O" & "X" ring chains These older "standard" roller chains needed lubricating "inside" the rollers So a heavier flow rate was required for this type of chain to ensure that some oil penetrated "inside" the rollers With the "sealed" type "O" & "X" ring chains only the sprockets and outer plates require lubing Meaning a much reduced flow is required to deliver sufficient lube Thats why I recommend the PDoiler as being electronic the flow rate is much easier to regulate

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/12/2012 23:00  

Well.....only had bike from new a year ago last sept I always after a run stood on paddock stand and lubed chain religiously, I tend to think its a culmination of a cheaper chain and using a cover over the bike attracting moisture etc, someone's said to get a scotoiler fitted the costs would be greater than if I used muck off cleaner and pj1 lube....so that's the plan, no we don't want oil on tyre rim max4fun for sure lol....cheers guys for help and if u see a hizzy pink arai helmet out...please wave it'd make my day :)

Update Reply
cbrgirl @ 29/12/2012 11:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email