MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Puntures

Puntures - Forums [Biker Match] Puntures - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Puntures

Dunlop Roadsmart on less than 1K ago.
Back from Scotland today and, what's that shiny thing in my back tyre. Ooo it's a bloody nail.
TBFA!!!!!!!

So the choices are:
New tyre (let's not be silly I'm not made of money)Get it plugged by someone, if they will.Punctureseal. Tempting cos I've got a bottle in the garage.What do you think?

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 15/07/2012 19:14  

If the nail is in the treaded area there should be no problem having a repair done but if thay say no dont try and do a self repair it really is not worth it

Update Reply
JP @ 15/07/2012 19:33  

I'm jp, no worries in having a repair done. just ring some places up before you take it too them to make sure they will do a repair. I run a plugged tyre a few years ago after a similar incident. never had any problem or lost any pressure out of the tyre either.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 16/07/2012 14:00  

If its only a small nail, pull it out see what happens, if it hisses and goes down quick. Plug it, if it goes down very slowly ie, over night or 2 days, punture seal or tyre weld. I always carry a large tin of tyre weld, used it on FJ1200, BMW k100 and my camper van, never had a problem it.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 14:16  

I've also run on a plugged tyre The guy who fixed it (National Tyres Barnsley) Told me he reguarly fitted them and even on "race" bike tyres That was good enough recommendation for me Oh, and I had known him for 20 odd years so he had no reason to try to impress me Get it plugged mate or its a total waste of rubber and money After all we must do "our" bit towards saving the planet

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/07/2012 14:21  

Thing is that little bit of rubber is all that's between you and gravel rash. So do you tend to push the bike and get your knee down/ride two up alot or are you a steady speed nothing silly sort of guy.

If the first change it.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 16/07/2012 14:27  

If you are going to have it repaired they only tend to repair punctures in the main contact patch with the road and not on the outer edges of the tyre. Good luck!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/07/2012 15:13  

Bit gloomy, gloom, Get your knee down? on a TDM, you're just askin' for gravel rash, lol. Get some tyre weld in it.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 15:23  

i would,nt use tyre goop, tyres run cool with that s~##e in.. cool tyres = no grip.. you have two choices repair/plug renew hoop

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 16/07/2012 15:36  

Update.
I put the ultraseal in, it helped but still lost pressure over half a day. Not good.
Checked various things on-line and plug/patch repairs only recommended up to 75mph. Again not good cos just now and again it's necessary to break a law to keep body and soul together.
Local bikes shops all said the same... new tyre time.
So although it hurts my wallet a new tyre it is.
This decision is based on the fact the sodding thing will inevitably fail somewhere in the middle of France/Germany when I'm over there next month. If I was just going to be pottling about close to home it might have been a different decision.
F'in nails !!!!!!

Spare change gov'nr?

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/07/2012 15:53  

He's only got a nail in it, anybody would thing he had 2 x 2 RSJ stuck in it. If the offending nail was a 10mm dia bolt or screw, then yes, on an R1 or GSXR, renew. But a nail, on a TDM? tyre weld.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 15:56  

Nah, tyre weld works but tend to go off after a few of hundred miles. Been there, done that. Although it was our lasses bike thankfully
Bit miffed about the ultraseal not working though!

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/07/2012 16:03  

TDMs im sure are a tubed trye and you cant put goop in a tube so theres your problem as to why its still going down

Update Reply
JP @ 16/07/2012 16:07  

I've had no pros at all with it, used it loads of times and I do thousands of miles a year. But it will only seal small holes, nails screws, not bigger stuff. What happened with the ultraseal?

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 16:09  

Well JP, you've just answered his question then, stick a new tube in it, don't need a new tyre.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 16:11  

Apart from the small matter of TDM's not running tubed tyres. Are you thinking of TDR's?
Ultraseal changed their name to Puncturesafe for some reason. Still didn't work though. Perhaps if I'd gone for a 20 mile blat it might have worked... or I might be stuck 10 miles from home is the rain!

At least it's only a puncture. The bike was a bit squirrelly coming back from Scotland, I thought me shock might be loosing it's damping qualities.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/07/2012 17:00  

The hoon down Loch Eck was fun though
I fink it might be now one of my fav roads.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/07/2012 17:07  

I didn't say TDMs had tubed tyres, JP did. That puncturesafe, is that the stuff you put in before you get the puncture and its supposed to seal it with out you knowing? If it is, no point in putting tyre weld it, you'll have to have it repaired by a tyre man.

Update Reply
esspique @ 16/07/2012 17:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email