MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

NEW FEATURE: BikerMatch APP on mobiles

NEW FEATURE: BikerMatch APP on mobiles - Forums [Biker Match] NEW FEATURE: BikerMatch APP on mobiles - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

NEW FEATURE: BikerMatch APP on mobiles

Again something that has been requested for years.... a mobile app.

But the costs, time, effort involved in making it were just not reasonable.

However.... there's now a new web feature which has allowed me to do something very special!

If you visit the new website at least TWO times and at least FIVE minutes apart, and you're using a COMPATIBLE MOBILE device (latest Android, Apple etc with an updated browser) then you will get a popup with a question like "Do you want to install BikerMatch to your desktop?"

Now - I've disabled that popup as it's annoying. But one the site does is it captures when that popup appears and "saves" it in the contact (ride sidebar) menu.

So, if you meet certain requirements and you ask nicely... when you open your right-hand side bar (press the envelope at the top right) you might just see "Install BM as App".
If you see it - press and and please let me know what you think.

What does it do???

1) Adds a shortcut to your desktop/home screen

2) Saves any page/images you view for offline viewing. But if you're online it will use BM as normal

3) When you open it, it wont open in Chrome/Safari etc directly, it will open and look like a native mobile app!

Honestly - I didn't even know this was possible until this week. And I'm mega chuffed about it.

Feel free to use it now with the beta site.

Please, please give me feedback. Does it work? What do you think?

Thanks
Matt

Update Reply
Matt @ 02/08/2017 14:35  

Here's a screenshot...

https://beta.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/profiles/uploads/9_bm_13408_bm_6831768317.jpg

Update Reply
Matt @ 02/08/2017 14:40  

I keep trying, but that option just doesn't seem to show up for me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2017 11:07  

You need to visit the website at least 2 times with 5 minutes apart. That's for Chrome on Android anyhow.

At the moment it's very new technology and the specs are still being fought out between the big companies. God only knows what Apple's implementation of this new feature will be.

The bottom will only be available AFTER the browser pops up the option (which the web page captures, and hides, so you don't see it until you use the button in the BM menu)

More info:
https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/engage-and-retain/web-app-manifest/

Try clearing your browser cache and make sure you are accessing bm via HTTPS

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/08/2017 13:49  

I use very few, if any, Apps so no point in me even trying.

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 03/08/2017 18:38  

Is the new site compatibile with the tapatalk forum app? If so, you won't need to develop a mobile app presently…

Regards

Update Reply
oddbod @ 09/08/2017 20:51  

Hey Oddbod, awesome profile photo! Welcome to the site.

No there are no apps that support BM because the site is totally custom-made. There are no plugins like phpBB for the forums etc.

The idea behind the new website, and it's something you'll see more of in the coming years, is that the website synchronises and keeps itself available for offline viewing. Each page you open can be viewed offline from cache.
You'll get an option to add it to your home-screen which will allow you to launch straight into full-screen mode (no URL bar etc).
It's called a "Progressive Web App" and is kind of a cross between the website and native app.

It's still a new technology, and the new website is also not fully developed yet.

Please do try it out though and give me feedback.

Thanks!

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/08/2017 22:34  

Matt is it possible to create a save search function( or is there already?). For example save all the criteria I have set so I can reuse that search function later, or adapt elements to broaden or narrow my search as needed?
It would be great to open the search function with a pre set option list that I could adapt on any given day, but that reset to original on shutdown. It is a pain having to retype the same data sets every time I search. Oh and where are the instructions on using the communications(nods, messages etc?) Thanks.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/08/2017 14:41  

Hey Essexbiker
Welcome to the site! Lots of newbies recently. :-D

Search saving: Each time you make a change to the search criteria, the page fires off a request to the server for the results. If the results come back it will update the URL in the address bar of your browser with your complete search criteria.
All you have to do is bookmark the address (CTRL+D on Windows. God knows about Apple stuff).
You can also just copy/paste the link somewhere if you prefer.

Nods/messages etc - should be self explanatory. Is there anything you don't understand? On the new website (https://beta.bikermatch.co.uk) You won't yet find a list of nods/views because I've not finished that part of the site. But the messages should work fine.

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/08/2017 19:27  

Hate to tell you this, but I can't get it to work.. And yes it's an android phone..manufactured 2017..:(

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 13/08/2017 23:43  

Worked for me. But I don't like the new layout at all. Feel soulless. And more like a dating site than a biker forum. Just my opinion.

Update Reply
ChilliD @ 14/08/2017 14:45  

Hi Matt,
Previously I have been able to access the beta site but now I can't access it. Have tried several times over 30+ hours !
iPhone 6S plus
I have read your comments re Apple but there are plenty in existence so I think your site needs to be able to work with their products!
Others may not make you aware of the issues and just migrate !
I realise you have a life away from here and have been spending a lot of hours on the sites
Best Regards

Update Reply
555byker @ 14/08/2017 23:26  

Matt,
Referring to my last I was trying with a link in your thread but since I've found the link at the top of old forum page opens to the beta forums page

Update Reply
555byker @ 15/08/2017 09:04  

I don't seem to be able to sign in on the new site for some reason

Update Reply
She11 @ 15/08/2017 10:25  

Had quite a few goes at this now....simply locks up my phone solid,so i can only clear it by removing battery and waiting a few minutes...sorry...

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 28/08/2017 17:38  

She11/555byker - I'll contact you guys privately about accessing the new website. Wrong forum for it here. FYI the site DOES work on Apple, even though I hate Apple I do of course understand that the site must support all Apple products, don't worry.

ChilliD - Sorry you feel that way. I'm working hard to make it feel more personal, adding photos etc. This is the wrong forum topic for it though. This topic is specifically about being able to install the new website as an App on your phone.

Jinx - that is insane that you have to remove your battery! All it does is add a shortcut on your desktop, nothing crazy that will cause your phone to die. BUT - it's new technology, not just for BM but for the web in general. Phone and browser manufacturers are still trying to figure out how to implement it. Let's try it again in a few months with you. It's no big deal, don't worry.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/09/2017 09:06  

I had a go on the new site on my iphone this morning, all OK and I went to have at Jynxies profile just to make sure it was working

Sadly I could see it all too well

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2017 13:12  

The certificate expired today for the test site. I've recreated it. It could just be bad timing.

Can you please try again now for me? And maybe clear temporary files / cached files in your browser? Or hard refresh the page. Hopefully it works.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/09/2017 15:52  

And whilst i'm on...just a small question or 2...why can't i add captions to my pictures on BM2 site..?? All my pictures have been captioned in the past on 'old' BM...AND why can't i add captions to pictures on events section..?AND why do NONE of my pictures on BM2 have captions anymore..can we please add these facilities in somewhere down the line ?

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 09/09/2017 18:04  

Sussed it...it won't show captions if i'm signed in on BM2...but i'm assuming that other people can read them...??

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 09/09/2017 18:13  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email