MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

New law regarding hand held devices applies to bikers

New law regarding hand held devices applies to bikers - Forums [Biker Match] New law regarding hand held devices applies to bikers - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

New law regarding hand held devices applies to bikers

New law regarding handheld devices extends to motorcyclists | MCN http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/march/new-law-handheld-devices-driving/

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/03/2017 14:30  

Don't use your sat nav whilst riding...... they could have worded that better

Update Reply
Sirbob @ 17/03/2017 12:42  

Would have thought fiddling with anything whilst riding a motorcycle was slightly unwise...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 14/04/2017 19:41  

Now it appears being sat nav compliant is part of the driving test....... WTF? Something is going badly wrong with our society IMHO..

Update Reply
Sirbob @ 16/04/2017 20:08  

There is nothing more disconcerting than seeing a driver/rider, looking down at a prat nav, trying to punch in new destinations etc whilst following you down the road; other than, of course, them being in front of you.

Yes, you can slow, put more space between you and them but can you honestly say that you know what they are going to do?

I've had drivers/riders swerving back n forth across the road, also deciding that the junction they have, more or less, just passed was where they wanted to be stopping dead (cos they are incapable of thinking, I will carry on forward until I can find somewhere to turn around ie. another junction or roundabout) or worse still trying to make the junction by going in the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic!

SMIDSY just doesn't help and is the worst thing you can say to anyone but especially to a biker. However, a biker using a prat nav and not concentrating on the road ahead and around him/her saying it to another road user once they have ridden into them or knocked a child down et al is worse and hypocritical at best.

We have all been on the end of that one and tbh, although I don't ride, I would be appalled to on the back of a bike where the rider said it.

For goodness sake put the destination in the prat nav BEFORE you get on the bike. If you need to reset, PULL OVER & STOP before you do so. It isn't rocket science.

**Steps off soap box**

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 17/04/2017 10:55  

95% of satnavs in cars trucks busses can get you a fine due to there positioning you can NOT have them in any area that is withing the swept area of the wipers unless they are factory fitted and built into the car. Sticking them on the windscreen is the next big hit coming from the police and the sooner they do it the better. Its not a new law its the punishment that has changed as for bikes the law has always appled to them too

Update Reply
JP @ 17/04/2017 16:43  

Yes its not a new law but the cops have done a very poor job of enforcing it......... I really don't imagine that will really change. They need sheer numbers flooding the roads pulling over each car with a badly place device...... like shooting fish in a barrel. Not once a year but every week. They send a message this is serious but they don't take it seriously enough to enforce the law......

Update Reply
Sirbob @ 19/04/2017 23:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email