MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

NEW FEATURE: Redesigned profile display

NEW FEATURE: Redesigned profile display - Forums [Biker Match] NEW FEATURE: Redesigned profile display - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

NEW FEATURE: Redesigned profile display

In the ever-changing world of the web and given that every day a higher percent of visitors to BM are using their smartphone, it's important that BM keeps updated.

That's why I started redesigning some fundamental basics of the site earlier this year (such as the database, etc).

The next step in making the site "mobile friendly" is updating the "Profile display" page so that mobile users can easily view photos, swiping left/right, and also edit their profile easier.

So as of 5 minutes ago, if you try to view anyone's profile you will see a completely new style of page. To view your own (or EDIT your profile - all from the same page) go here:
https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/myaccount/showpro...rofile.asp

I know this will take some getting used to and some of you will just refuse to accept the change. It's a problem I have with every necessary update / change I make. But please give it some time and tell me in a week or two what you think. Maybe features you'd like to see added/removed/simplified etc.

Most important features:

Now an "All-in-one" page. So whether you're viewing your own profile, someone else's, editing your profile, viewing/adding photos, events, forum posts etc.... it's all on ONE page. This massively reduces the server work but also your internet bandwidth used (important if you're paying per MB on your phone).Security - a lot of bugs in the old pages have been removed. Simple hacks that anyone could abuse with a bit of know-how to put unwanted things on their profile is now a thing of the pastPerformance - the new page is rapid once loaded, because it loads everything on one page. This makes switching between tab, edit mode, photos etc instant.Mobile friendly - viewing on a smartphone, PC, laptop, Playstation etc should now all be much better than before. This is something Google has recently been punishing us for - not being mobile-friendly enough. This drives away huge numbers of members from BM and is an important step forward for us.
So - first thoughts? Do you use PC/Phone to view BM? Do you find any errors/bugs/crashing?

Please, if you find any bugs - tell me immediately! Also tell me who's profile you was viewing when you got the error

Thanks!

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/06/2016 12:04  

Looks fine on my PC.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 04/06/2016 14:54  

love it matt thank you x

Update Reply
kaycat @ 04/06/2016 18:39  

Like it

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 04/06/2016 20:31  

I like it.

Update Reply
Double six @ 04/06/2016 21:15  

Ooh I like it :-)

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 04/06/2016 23:01  

Wow really? I'm surprised. Honestly expected loads of resilience and threats to boycott BM if it wasn't returned back to it's old outdated state :-D

I am though expecting errors and bugs, but it's hard to find them. Maybe you see someone's profile doesn't load fully for example. If so - please, please let me know asap while all the code is fresh in my mind (can easily fix it).

Thaaaaanks

PS: you'll like part 2 even more this week - I've fixed the search page annoyances.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/06/2016 04:37  

Wanna bet on that?

Update Reply
Double six @ 05/06/2016 07:41  

Looks good to me....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2016 08:34  

Looks good. But picks won't enlarge in iPad/iPhone.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2016 23:36  

double click to enlarge photos.

I'm trying to think of a better solution. Only problem is that single-click makes the drag/swipe function fail which screws it up for mobile users.

Update Reply
Matt @ 06/06/2016 08:04  

I am double tapping and it won't enlarge. Using iPhone 5 and I pad mini. Both on latest updates.

Don't have a computer so yet again the apple products won't work with the pics.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2016 18:49  

fancy donating one two me for testing? :-D

I'll ask some friends to lend me some Crapple things

Update Reply
Matt @ 06/06/2016 19:38  

Yea Apple can be, well fussy with what it does.

But it's what I have and tbh there the only piece of kit I own that stays alive for more than a year or so. Everything else just stops working....may be its my biker life style.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2016 20:09  

First impressions when my profile loaded was WTH has happened here? Can't say I like the changes but it was the previous format for 10 years and I dislike change. I expect I'll get used to it.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/06/2016 21:18  

Great layout but it's too open .
I can view anyones profile , photos , events etc offline
Is this a wee blip that has been overlooked or is it permanent ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/06/2016 13:26  

Being able to view people's complete profile when not even been a member has been a bone of contention for a long time. Nice point raised Crimmy.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/06/2016 19:21  

Crimmy, you're right. It was an oversight and will be fixed.

Previously all basic profile info was available to non-members, but you had to sign in to see more than the basic main profile pic.

I did cock up with the new system though and will get it fixed within 5 minutes (so that profiles can be viewed but not photos)

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/06/2016 20:29  

Fixed. Also removed events calendar for people who aren't logged in

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/06/2016 20:37  

That's cool Matt as that was my thoughts on it.

On profiles maybe add some color as looks bit bare or basic (everything in white).

Also (I appreciate I'm staff) I think be good to have staff profiles with some marker so that new members know who to Pm/speak with if need help. That is to say if they are reading a forum thread and would be able to see who is staff for assistance easier. Also means if a staff member posts something specific it marks them out as working in BM's overall interests. Hope that makes sense

Update Reply
madscots @ 08/06/2016 13:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email