MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Advice for Pillys Please

Advice for Pillys Please (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Advice for Pillys Please (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Advice for Pillys Please

all ways were a helmet

only one pilly at a time please
were the rite gear

Update Reply
kaycat @ 25/06/2016 19:43  

Hmmm . . .
As a long standing Pilly, I find it essential to ask the rider how they want me!!! To lean, or not to lean, that is the question.

Everyone's different, and they all have their little foibles. (I don't hang on to the rider though). I see it as their job to ride, and mine to sit back, shut up*, and do as I am told. . . which has included map reading, paying the toll, asking directions and getting a round in!!

* I do like to sing though . . .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/07/2016 12:40  

Be prepared not to see much! It really is about feel. Much as I love riding, being in control myself - sometimes being pillion is just pure laziness as let go of everything and just feel the bike. :)
My ex regularly had to check back with his hand, make sure he hadn't lost me as I just let his riding guide how much i should lean etc. and as everyone says, close your eyes on corners!!!

Update Reply
Noangel1977 @ 06/07/2016 23:24  

Goodness lots of advice it's interesting to hear other pillion opinions, as others have said.
The shutting the eye thing on corners it's either that or look round the corner and not over the cliff edge as I found out this weekend, I don't mean look over the rider by bobbing your head round, as in basic bike training look where the bike should be going. If not the driver will have to literally heave the bike round the corner or worse you'll end up in the opposite side of the road.
You definitely have to go with the bike not fight it, relax, if your relaxed it makes for smooth riding, though floppy is not good either
:-)
I'm very old fashioned and only a single girl gets on as my pillion (unless with express permission sought by me from partner) as causes issues.
Waist grabbing well at least the intentions nice, getting on and off just ask or wait for the nod please girls. I was getting fuel on a brand new BMW RT 1200 and my long term pillion (best ever and wife at the time) hurled herself off the bike, resulting in me being pinned under the bike, with multiple bruising, it took four guys to lift the bike with full panniers.
Junctions and wobbles don't match especially at a junction with an incline.

If a pillion offered tea/coffee bacon butties that'd be great of course always welcomed.
Comms are the way to go it makes such a big difference, they are very cheap on the net, signals are good.
Pillion, us riders do care and being warm and safe is a priority;
your our responsibility.

Oh going for a pee at stops just before you leave and have fuelled bike and your tummy make for more enjoyable riding.

Extra clothes such as a fleece, removable jacket liner, waterproof gloves are essential for touring and even those short days in the uk.

Happy riding :-)??

Update Reply
Kplm adventure @ 14/07/2016 12:55  

Just sit still,and enjoy the world sliding by...:)

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 20/08/2016 20:43  

I'm curious to know how many male riders have gone pillion, and what was your experience of it?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/08/2016 09:10  

Went pillion from childhood into my teens,hated it more and more until i got my first field bike,been a poor pillion ever since....think it's a 'control' thing tbh...:)

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 21/08/2016 09:21  

the best pillion ive ever had was a large sack of potatoes .. the said sack did nothing because it wasn't living ,, it didn't think about leaning with the rider or with the bike , it did nothing it just sat there .. it didn't fight the corners just incase the bike fell over it did nothing ,, so girls and boys to start with , just be a non living sack of potatoes ,,

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 27/08/2016 00:16  

funny that buzz...thats exactly what i tell virgin pillions, just sit there like a sack of spuds.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/08/2016 00:19  

some ppl over think and over explain and over complicate things , KISS .. :) NICE ONE STUIE

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 29/08/2016 00:02  

It has been noted by several folk that Mr Ken needs a medal having me a a pilly as i dont sit still lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 30/08/2016 09:20  

And you wonder why he has a dicky ticker

Update Reply
JP @ 31/08/2016 03:13  

I pilly on the back of a lady rider now & then. I think riders should be a pilly for themselves so they know what its like. When I take a pilly regardless of experience I always go slow with very gentle acceleration / braking until they get an idea how the ride will progress, once I know they are comfortable then the volume control gets wound back a little more.

Update Reply
Scarecrow @ 22/09/2016 05:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email