MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Support flood-hit businesses

Support flood-hit businesses - Forums [Biker Match] Support flood-hit businesses - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Support flood-hit businesses

I'm lucky enough to be comfortably above any flood risk but would like to support small cafes and shops that have suffered from flooding when the weather warms up and I'm on the road again.

I'm sure many of my fellow bikers are similarly charitably minded (we're respected for that at least) and that our support would be as much appreciated as our 'tourist' pennies.

So, what towns and villages do you know of that have been flood affected and are there any particular places which have suffered but survived that you would recommend for a visit?
Anywhere in the country - there will be bikers nearby or near enough to make a visit.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 19/01/2016 16:33  

You're all welcome to come to my spring bbq. £500 a ticket and I'll have a new bike in no time lol.
Always happy to spend a few quid on a nice breakfast anywhere on the planet.
I'll have to buy a fresh bike first of course.
KC superbikes were flooded (again) I may help them out by buying a gixxer.
On a funnier note . My 85 year old mother said that I should grow up and stop riding motorcycles.
I pointed out that she was still riding motorbikes till she had her last accident with a truck at the age of 65.
Apparently that was different lol.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 20/01/2016 01:12  

Lol, it's in the blood then Dusty?

When you free for a postponed Xmas lunch (turkey and trimmings not guaranteed)?

If you can insert a decimal point in to your ticket price you might get takers - who'd even bring along the odd sausage (although I believe your own are rather exceptional )

Got nods on a cafe in Dumfriesshire, but don't know if it was flood damaged, as you say a nice breakfast anywhere will do really.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 20/01/2016 16:31  

Dustin arguing with your mom usually end in you losings

Update Reply
JP @ 21/01/2016 21:52  

JP, aye you're right there.
Izzy I haven't got a bike. It drowned. To embarrassing going in a car if everyone else is on bikes.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 22/01/2016 18:43  

For you, sweetie pie, and only for you, we'd all agree to come in tin boxes and raise a glass in memory of lost steeds.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 22/01/2016 22:05  

Plagiarism! Tha's what it is, pinching my ideas

"Five places for your holidays in flood-hit northern England
The PM has urged Britons to visit northern areas that suffered flooding this winter. On this occasion you should listen to him
• After the floods: how tourism in the Lakes and York hopes to recover"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/28/five-places-for-your-holidays-in-flood-hit-northern-england

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 29/01/2016 19:42  

"Elsewhere in the UK .....

December storms and flooding caused serious disruption in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, affecting tourist businesses, as well as people’s homes. In Scotland, Ballater, Braemar, Aboyne and Aberdeen’s Garthdee were worst affected by Storm Frank. The tourist town of Ballater was described as being like a “war zone”, after the banks of the river Dee burst, destroying a caravan park and wrecking homes. Last week, the Queen’s neighbouring Balmoral estate offered a 40% discount on the estate’s holiday cottages to help bring visitors to area and boost the local economy."

Ballater, here I come.

Just need the sunshine and some slightly warmer weather.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 29/01/2016 19:51  

I'll have to wait until I get back home, then buy a bike.
I would be too embarrassed to arrive in a car , looking like some sad arsed wannabee.
Oh the shame of it all. A grown man without a motorcycle. If I don't get a bike soon I'll have to have therapy.
On a lighter note: I'm having my 6foot by 3foot double ender bath exchanged fir a 6foot by 3foot double ended spa bath. Drinks in the bath will never be the same again lol

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 11/02/2016 17:03  

That should be out on the decking Dusty - it's actually called jacuzzi, not a bath!

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 12/02/2016 09:53  

Mi neighbours already think I'm a bit nuts. What will they think if I'm sitting in a bath outside in mi yard?

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 13/02/2016 00:54  

Lucky i read the heading again after i cleaned my specs.

I nearly sent my local football team a cheque.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 13/02/2016 10:00  

Their suspicions will simply be confirmed Dusty.
Have you been settled up for your bike? Time to go find your new wheels...

I've planned a route to visit Ballater while I'm up in Perthsire at Easter.
Still looking for opportunity to do something down Cumbria way, maybe Cockermouth in conjunction with the Lake land passes?

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 13/02/2016 12:22  

<p>

Izzy, I'm still living put in the woods in mi little wooden lodge. Nowhere to keep a bike. No point buying a bike to sit and rot outside. Need to get back home. </p><p>2005 flood it took 16 month to reinstate my house. </p><p>Most likely looking at summer 2007. </p>

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 15/02/2016 16:21  

Aww Dusty, that's a pure shame. No Easter camp at Berwick then?
We Border Reivers might fall apart without you, especially as Steve is on a sabbatical.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 16/02/2016 10:18  

There's an almost new VFR with 600 miles at mi local. It's under 8 grand. Proper bargain.
A 2014 cbf1000 3000mile under 6 1/2 grand.
I gave them both a nice pat on the seat. Mmm.
fekn floods.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 19/02/2016 01:05  

Still fancy a gixxer. BUT mi local Suzy Dealer was also under 5 foot of water. Ofcourse. I blame the southerners for the flood. Drinking far too much pretentious bottled water rather than Cumberland reservoir water.Just because we all piss in it before it disappears down the pipe is no excuse. Cumberland piss water is environmentally friendly and similar to their beer lol.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 19/02/2016 01:10  

Went to Ballater today as promised.
Bit sad walking along Bridge Street past all the empty shops with heaters and dehumidifiers on or, if they're further along, joiners in refitting to get them open again.
Spent a few pennies on a plate of soup and a mug of tea but I've noted a cafe that's still closed to go back to next time I'm up here. It's not much, but it's something.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 30/03/2016 18:28  

Izzy why not see about a group ride to the cafe the day they open everyone has a breakfast and a brew few quid in the till on day 1

Update Reply
JP @ 30/03/2016 18:39  

Nice idea JP, but it's a feckin' long way for everyone I know.

Still I'll see if I can find a FB or web page and find out when they open again. Might be better to find a long summer day for it than their actual re-opening - I'll ask at next social if it's of interest. Ta x

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 30/03/2016 19:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email