MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Shropshire - recommendations

Shropshire - recommendations - Forums [Biker Match] Shropshire - recommendations - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Shropshire - recommendations

We're off to Shropshire for a week from the 23rd August.
Besides looking at castles, mooching about and taking photographs we may feel the need for the odd bimble about on the bikes.
So.....
Recommendations for good roads, cafes and all things biker-ish in the area please.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 10/08/2014 18:25  

Hi Steve try Shrewsbury and Matlock bath . ElleSmere not ElleSmere port !!! A49 all the way is good . If you want to chat while you down this way PM . You'll love it it's a beautiful county .

Update Reply
Jackyan @ 10/08/2014 18:44  

quatt bridgnorth biker stop cafe, good food "bikers haven" any day usually a starting point for rideouts. Cleehill beaut road to it. Mountfordbridge cafe good stop for bikers on rideout. good roads every where in shropshire cant go wrong!

Update Reply
bic chick @ 10/08/2014 21:42  

Steve, some decent roads down to Ludlow, there's a castle there also at Bridgenorth as well as the café at Quatt as per Bic's post and the Severn Valley Railway, steam trains to Kidderminster. Not quite bikerish but you should probably make a point of checking out Ironbridge too.

Update Reply
Murdoch3352 @ 10/08/2014 22:25  

Dinky's dinner on the A458 at Ford

Update Reply
JP @ 10/08/2014 22:32  

Steve sorry i meant bridge north - not sure why I put Matlock which is in Derbyshire ! Long day my excuse. X

Update Reply
Jackyan @ 11/08/2014 05:34  

The A49 from Tarporley southwards is a fun, old-style A-road with plenty of twists and turns to keep you awake, but not so serious that it demands 100 per cent concentration.
There's the Raven and Midway caffs almost next door to each other just south of Whitchurch at the A49/A41 junction, then if you carry on down the A49, there's Shrewsbury and Dinkies Diner.
Branch off down the A458 to Bridgnorth, or continue down the A49 via Ludlow to Leominster (OK, so it's just in the next county) and the amazing Dom's Bike Stop.

Update Reply
Wills @ 11/08/2014 22:00  

Well thanks for the info.
We got to Bishop's Castle yesterday, dodged the rain all the way apart from the last couple of miles.
As you all say though, some cracking roads.
Today after the obligatory castle and iron bridge stuff we started to make it up as we went along. This lead us up and over The Long Mynd. Top fun if a little steep on the decent.
And now I here beer calling me :-)

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 24/08/2014 18:00  

Bishop's Castle - the Three Tuns, I trust

Update Reply
Wills @ 25/08/2014 01:06  

Nice one Steve, glad ya had a good run, hope ya enjoyed yer beer.

Update Reply
Murdoch3352 @ 25/08/2014 08:51  

The Cosford air museum is worth an afternoon.

Update Reply
Eiron @ 25/08/2014 12:17  

And today...
Powis Castle and then a fun run back. A483, A44 and A488.
'kin 'ell. This area rocks :-)

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 26/08/2014 19:17  

A little late, but I ran a biker weekend in Shropshire 2-3 years ago, we stayed at the Burlton Inn. Biker friendly, good food and accommodation, reasonably priced.

http://www.burltoninn.robinsonsbrewery.com/

Update Reply
Richard T @ 10/09/2014 12:40  

Cool. I'm going to start a new thread to ask whoever is local down there to do bm weekend, camp and/or b&b.
You volunteering?

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 10/09/2014 18:36  

There must be 100's of other BM'ers between me and Shropshire!

Update Reply
Richard T @ 15/10/2014 14:00  

True.
We're just waiting for one of 'em to get outta bed and volunteer to arrange something.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 15/10/2014 19:54  

Hi Steve... Been a BM member for a num,ber of years now, have met and made loads of good friends so would welcome making more and would like to put something back as they say... I live in Whitchurch, about a mile from The Raven Cafe which is my regular bike meet venue... It would be great to plan a BM Event here in Shropshire for members....what would you all be looking for ?...in terms of accomodation, refreshments, entertainment, places to visit etc.... You have now experienced Shropshire and you know how awesome it can be for rides around here, its also the gateway to North Wales and some amazing roads to ride.... Will be happy to take a look at it for you... Cheers..John (rider10)

Update Reply
Rider10 @ 17/11/2014 13:22  

Hi John.
All it needs is a village with a pub or two and a nearby campsite. If the pub has accommodation or there are a couple of b&b's in the village all the better.
A weekend will do.
Entertainment is best provided by what the county does best; beer and twisty roads.
Over to you :-) Drop me a pm if you need any advice or help organising it.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 17/11/2014 18:37  

Lower Lacon springs to mind straight away. They ain't cheap, but despite the title they do camping, the facilities are good and they are, I'm told, bike-friendly.

http://www.llcp.co.uk/index.cfm

Update Reply
Wills @ 17/11/2014 23:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email