MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Jacket proofer

Jacket proofer - Forums [Biker Match] Jacket proofer - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Jacket proofer

Just looking at my Buffalo jacket and it's looking a bit sad & faded. I'm preparing for the ride up to the Isle of Arran in a couple of weeks & thought it would be a good idea to give it spray of proofer. Of course it may not rain at all (Little miss Sunshine lol)...but this is Scotland we're talking about........... Any recommendations for a proofer that really works gratefully received cos I can't really run to a new jacket at the moment

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 27/03/2012 18:08  

Just a good tent proofer will do it but make sure you let it air well before waring

Update Reply
JP @ 27/03/2012 18:10  

Just watch out with Tent spay Mini, it can stop the breath-ability of the fabric & this could cause you issues.

I use the Nikwax TECH wash to wash our textiles, usually sold with a wash in waterproofer for use after you have washed stuff... just be careful when using the proofer not to use a wash prog that does lots of rinsing, I have a 'rinse hold' on my machine & so I bypass all the rinses after the 1st one & it works fine ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikwax-Tech-Wash-TX-Direct-30...459wt_1263

Then we carry the TX spray for those 'odd patches that need a quick spray'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKWAX-TX-Direct-500ml-Spray-...995wt_1029

Those are the type of thing & I have not needed to redo my jacket (apart from in the elbow crease) in the last 2 years (but will do it this year as its getting grubby)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/03/2012 18:29  

Yup what Shell said... used those for years and a good pray on or wash in Tech wash does the job, air it off after you apply as it does smell regardless of the label..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/03/2012 19:24  

I've used the Tech wash before and found it works but I'm hoping we won't be needing waterproofs.

Update Reply
Turtle20 @ 27/03/2012 19:31  

I always use Jack Pyke Fabric waterproofer, I get it off ebay. I do all my tents, and leathers, boots, and my textiles, I put it on everything that i use out doors....

Update Reply
highwayman128 @ 27/03/2012 19:35  

is it a textile jacket or leather Min.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 01/04/2012 00:39  

after far more years than i care to think about riding god knows how many bikes for god knows how many miles, both for pleasure and work (london dispatch riding) only thing that ever works properly with no fafing about with sprays and god knows what else is GORETEX..........................Had my current alpinestars jacket for about 3 years and still dry as a bone in any weather so far. got army goretex boots and gloves. but have recently wimped and got a heated jacket to go under the alpinestars jacket WONDERFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/04/2012 10:58  

I have found any good quality tent reproofer works just fine.....Gortex is the real answer tho.....but ££...ouch.

Just reproofing my trailer tent....5ltrs went nowhere!! need at least one or two more 5ltr cans to finish the job and at £33 a can thats gonna be £100 worth of reproofer!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 15/05/2012 08:21  

15 Lts of proofer for a trailer tent where did you get it from Billy smart

Update Reply
JP @ 15/05/2012 08:57  

pmsl @ jp pmsl @ andy.....£33 a can! OMG, my solution was a lot cheaper! Definitely pmsl @ oldbiker....Goretex bike jacket?....yeah, in my dreams. I'll get that to go with the Harley 883, shall I? lol My economical and effective solution was the Nikwax motorcycle textile care kit....comes in a natty little carry box containing a wash-in cleaner, a wash-in waterproofer, spray-on waterproofing wax for my leather trousers, spray-on glove proof and visor proof spray-on rain repellant (forgot I had that till I looked just now!) This little lot cost £20.88 inc P&P from http://www.waterproofingworld.com/nikwax-tx-direct-wash...-100ml-174 Luckily although it was perishing cold we were spared any really heavy rain for the journey up to Arran, and most of the way back (phew, huge **sighs** of relief) However, the heavens spared the best for last and the sky opened up between Penrith & Kendal....Not a huge journey in terms of miles but my god can it rain coming over Shap??? Believe me, the Nikwax was tested thoroughly and although I was pretty numb and senseless by the time I walked back home through the door I definitely wasn't soaked to the skin, so I'm happy with the results

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 15/05/2012 10:54  

I suppose it depends on what your gear's actually worth. If you spent £100+ on a jacket then it's worth spending more to re-proof it.
You can pick up a reasonable textile for £30 - £50 at the shows (mine was £40 at the NEC and has been WELL tested in rain), so sometimes it's easier to just replace new for old every couple of years.
I must admit though, the cheaper jackets do tend to look "tired" much quicker than the more expensive stuff, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 15/05/2012 13:11  

Billy Smart !! ha nah its good branded stuff..but canvas soaking it up like mad....guess Nylon material wouldnt soak it up the same heh?

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 15/05/2012 13:43  

Canvas!!! Is it a Niger patrol tent Andy....go on, go on please say it is Bet that's a bu**er to fasten to the back of your bike

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 15/05/2012 14:28  

As already been mentioned nik wax products all the time, also Old biker goretex needs washing now and again to ensure it breathes properly.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 15/05/2012 20:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email