MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Clocks Go Forward! Sunday 25th March 2012

Clocks Go Forward! Sunday 25th March 2012 (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Clocks Go Forward! Sunday 25th March 2012 (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Clocks Go Forward! Sunday 25th March 2012

Why not just forget about clocks all together. I know easier said than done, but wouldn't it be great

Update Reply
davidneale @ 20/03/2012 20:13  

I'd lobby for leaving it at British summer time. I hate it when they change time in winter. I love this time of year !!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 20/03/2012 21:24  

A Very Brief Guide to Why the Clocks Change In short The general 'why' is that we make better use of our daylight hours. Energy The idea is that because we have more daylight during waking hours, we use less energy on lighting etc. Some argue this is offset by people doing more in the evenings (like driving around) and therefore there is no net gain. There are stats all over the place and you can probably find a stat to prove any point you like. On balance, most people seem to think that it does save some energy but not a lot. Leisure This one is reasonably undisputed. People do more leisure and sport activities because there is more light. Health Tricky. On one hand, more sunlight increases levels of Vitamin D (good), but also can increasingly cause skin cancer (bad). Health improves because people are generally happier when there's more light (sweeping comment we know and this isn't the place to expand on that). Health also improves because people can; generally, undertake more sport and other leisure activities. However, it depends what your leisure activity is and if it involves spending the evening in the pub then the Health arguments are a little thin. On balance, the opinion seems to be pro-health. Economic Again, fairly undisputed. Again, lots of stats available, mostly produced by people with an interest one way or another so you take your pick. However, the data tends to suggest an increase in general economic activity caused by people doing more due to longer daylight hours. The Arguments against Daylight Saving Time Firstly, the simple hassle of changing your clocks, watches, and computers and so on. It's a clear cut argument but is generally balanced by a 'how busy is your life if you can't spend five minutes twice a year adjusting your clocks'. Most people know the real hassle here is actually trying to find the instruction manual for your oven/DVD recorder so you can figure out _how_ to change the time. But that argument rarely features. Secondly, Farmers and rural folk tend to dislike the change. There seems to be a general confidence that this is the case but fairly thin arguments as to why. One possibility is that there are a high proportion of Daily Mail readers among farmers and rural folk and therefore they dislike the clock change on the basis that any change is something to be upset about. (Apologies to readers outside the UK for whom the previous sentence will mean very little.) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/03/2012 22:27  

I'd hate to read the lengthy version

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/03/2012 22:31  

What gets me about the arguments for clock change is that changing the clocks DOES NOT GIVE YOU MORE DAYLIGHT HOURS!!! It just shifts when the existing daylight hours are slightly in the day. Having worked on a dairy farm for 15 years (many years ago) I can understand why farmers are against it, I spent 15 years coming in for several mornings each winter to find 180 cows standing mooing outside of the milking parlour wandering where there breakfast was and why their full udders wheren't being dealt with And then in spring several mornings going round trying to round uo the same 180 cows who would just look at me wondering what my problem was waking them up in the middle of the night, cows have internal clocks that cant be adjusted at the press of a button

Update Reply
centurion @ 21/03/2012 08:18  

Interesting about the cows...... remember: the faster you go, the slower time passes for you relative to your slower moving BM buddies..... Discuss that !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2012 08:54  

Sandi thank you for the heads up - I would have forgotten for sure Centurion I never thought about farm animals and how the clocks change effect them - can't think of how uncomfee the moo's must be, nothing worse than full udders Joking aside, poor beasties

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 21/03/2012 09:13  

Y W Kat Mark, I don't understand what you mean but it don't matter cos it's a different topic anyway.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/03/2012 10:12  

ok I went of on a tangent.... Einstein's theory of special relativity BTW

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2012 10:28  

@ Mark .... can even a 'busa travel at speeds approaching that of light? (Yes I was paying attention).
Time may go relatively more slowly at high speed but yer mates - who travelled more slowly - felt like they took less time over it. So who gets to the butty van first?

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 21/03/2012 10:39  

JP, Nellie or me

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/03/2012 10:54  

Sandi - no argument from me there!

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 21/03/2012 11:52  

yus i did have a bit of a blonde moment didnt i pmsl ... tis good in my world.. hahahaha i think they should let us live by our body clocks and if its daylight get out there and if its dark then dont!!! bring back candles and horse drawn carts i say.... but keep the bikes of course whooops il get the topic police after me my problem one year was i didnt know my mobiel automatically went forward and i put it forward again when i woke up thinking it was an hour behind ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2012 20:03  

xSuziX, "bit of a blonde moment???"

The more I read of your posts the more I wonder that instead of a bottle blonde you're a bottle Brunette, keep them roots touched up.

Stuff the topic police, I prefer Snickers

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2012 21:19  

Being incredibly ancient I remember one reason was that it saved children having to walk to school in the dark....they no longer do that: they arrive in an armoured convoy of FWDs and large MPVs that quite correctly park on the pavement!
There was talk last autumn about a permanent move to BST. ( To keep in line with our Euro-cousins.) I'd be in favour of that but not for the stated reason.
I also remember during the Suez Crisis in the 50s, Double summer time was declared! Didn't get dark in the South 'til 11pm and much later in Scotland.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/03/2012 19:54  

Ah well at the end of the day it gets dark and on the plus side it's an hour less wait to see my lickle LMF Loving the bit about the cows, had me PMSL for ages. Nice one Centurion

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 22/03/2012 21:39  

When it comes to daylight and time .... Am old enough to get all that. I know that cows (and other domesticated animals) struggle with it. We all have bits of equipment that say they are going to alter automatically - then don't. Other stuff gets you pondering whether you are going mad because you changed it and then the radio-controlled system did it a-f'n-gain!

It is all a bit of a mystery as to why we bother quite frankly. But - do I care? Should I really get wound up about losing an hour and then getting it back - of beauty sleep (or drinking time)?

NO!!!!! Because ....? ....! OJ is back!

C'mon fella - nice to see you join in the fun. X

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 22/03/2012 22:48  

Did anyone forget to change their clock? It was annoying for me this morning, as I have to leave soon to the Kent steam day and the 6 volt lights on my old beemer are not so good. Ok it's not dark but it is foggy at present.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 25/03/2012 07:28  

I hate losing an hours sleep to anyone so I made a point of going to bed an hour later. Simples!...

Update Reply
Laffo @ 25/03/2012 12:03  

pmsl Laffo!!!! can we claim back our lost hour as time in lieu please someone who decided to change em ......how bout we all refuse to change em back... what would the powers that be do then

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/03/2012 19:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email