MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Blind man here...

Blind man here... - Forums [Biker Match] Blind man here... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Blind man here...

Hi all, alfarogers here. On 5 March I put a posting in the ewbies forum asking for help, friendship and maybe rides out on somebody's bike as a pillion. Apart from a handful of nice welcome messages, I have had nothing and I don't really know what to do next. Is there not anybody out there living in or very near to London willing to help us out here? I have been on a bike before, but I did have the intercoms for the helmets - then we can chat and the rider can tell me that tight corners are coming up, etc, which was very helpful and I reckon almost essential. I don't have any friends who are bikers or who know I am particularly into them so I can't really be asking them to take me to one of the events. I would really appreciate it if somebody could try and help me on this subject as I really am a bity down at the moment and am looking for something new to get my teeth into. I do have friends, but only a very small, select circle as I find it difficult to integrate with other disabled people - I've done it in the past and lived to regret it! But I do sincerely hope to hear from someone pretty soon. Thanks for reading. alfarogers - west London

Update Reply
alfarogers @ 14/03/2012 09:05  

I think what you have to appreciate is that it is a BIG ask for someone to take you as a pilly and not everyone is going to be comfortable with the risk involved. You say you have been on the back of a bike before but obviously need instruction on the road ahead/bends etc. from the rider. Riding a motorcycle on your own can be complex enough sometimes looking out for all the idiots trying to knock you off it - to add in a running commentary to a pillion is possibly going to prove too stressful for some and affect both their own and your safety. I do feel for you, but think you really need a professional rider, possibly an instructor, to take you out and there's probably not that many on here. What about considering a trike? Far less risk to yourself and the rider so you are both free to enjoy being out in the elements. I hope you get some joy soon but if not then why not consider coming along and meeting folk anyway if someone could give you a lift in a car. We are all very friendly and I'm sure you'd enjoy the banter almost as much as a ride.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/03/2012 09:37  

I'm sure if you can get to one of our events mate there will be folks willing to help you out. If I'm over in summer and you have the radios I'll be glad to take you on a ride-out from one of our events.

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/03/2012 10:41  

Alfarogers, so touching, i cant personally take you pilly cos i wont carry pillys anymore after a spine op, but, going to be cheeky and get on the case see if we cant get your wish fulfilled. Will try my best and best of luck, xxxxx

Update Reply
wenders @ 14/03/2012 23:29  

Matt you're a star, (why are you on here instead of resting?!!) and you too Wenders, a star I mean. Alf, I second the suggestion of going to a B M event, everyone enjoys themselves at these.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/03/2012 00:38  

Alf, I live at the other end of the country mate but if local I would come take you out no problem..... You don't need to worry about tight bends as no one should be riding that hard and as long as you are relaxed and have a competant rider on an sensible road it should be no problem but I am sure that the intercom is good and you can have a running commentary......i have a Scala head set and they are popular with those with Tom Tom sat navs.......but if you get to any of the rally's that the BM guys go to on mass I'm sure there will be plenty who would gladly take you as a pillion on the ride out.....sorry I can't plan far a head as I get called back to work often and my rotations are never planned dates in advance...... Have faith someone from your neck of the woods will step up soon....

Come on all you Laaaaaaandan Geeeezzzers :-) step up give the guy a thrill.....ha ha
JB

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/03/2012 06:13  

think one day I'm gonna try going pillion blind-folded.... that must be such a thrill actually! Probably end up needing new underwear by the end though haha

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/03/2012 06:51  

LOL .

Matt that was how my boyfriend at the time taught me to pilly, after my 1st ever pilly he stated he would not take me out again cos I was dangerous on the back of a bike (no comments about my now riding skills), needless to say it caused some arguments between us & in the end he said ok but you have to learn to trust me, so I was taken out to an empty car park, blind folded and told if I took my hands off the grab rail and touched him I was walking home (we were miles away)

Ian says he forgets I am there when I pilly with him & I do put it down to that

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2012 07:37  

Good luck Alf, having only just passed my test 2 years ago I dont have insurance for a pilly, more because having that responsibility scares the hell outta me lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2012 07:42  

Hi Mate, I'll PM you later when I get home from work to see when we can arrange some ride outs. Ragnar

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 15/03/2012 07:46  

Ragnar:

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 15/03/2012 08:54  

Ragnar thats the BM spirit :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/03/2012 09:16  

Hi all, and thanks for all your help in this matter. I really do appreciate it and will eagerly await Ragnar's pm. But let's get two things straight. One of you mentioned Laaaandaners - I'm actually from Lancashire and speak with a (reasonably) broad northern accent, though probably have lost some of it during the 29 years living down south. Being blind, I had to come down here for college and work in 1983 - no work for people in Lancaster, where I actually lived at the time. We've lost all that now as my Dad died in 2001 and my Mum, now 84, moved down to Oxfordshire to be near my sister who was married with 3 kids and already lived there (Radley, near Abingdon). And second, my other bone to pick is please don't call me Alf! The alfarogers is from my other love - cars - Alfa Romeos - I am in the club and own a 2003 147 GTA V6 hatchback. I've always loved cars, F1 and rallying - I'm in e-mail contact with Jari-Matti Latvala, you know, the Ford World Rally team leader! He is the fastest driver but crashes a lot...call me Steve, please, my real name! That said, great to talk to you all and thanks once again for all your help. I'll await Ragnar's message with baited breath...

Update Reply
alfarogers @ 15/03/2012 10:29  

Nice one Steve, keep us up to date with what happens

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2012 10:31  

See i am a woman of my word and now got the ball rolling, PM'd Ragnar last night and he more than willing to help, as he has stated. Also PM'd a few more in London area and all seem up for sorting something out for you Steve, My idea is someone with a Goldwing or the like, as so easy to be a pilly on one of them, like sitting in an armchair.
Will keep you updated and watch your inbox for PM's off the kind folk going to help you out!!!XX

Well best of luck and hope all goes well and ya get out on a bike a bit....

BM spirit, can't beat it such a fantastic bunch of folks!!!!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 15/03/2012 10:56  

One standing ovation for BM

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 15/03/2012 12:06  

You may have to forget the intercom mate if you go on the back of me, I have a very strong South London accent with a lot of slang in it. So by the time you work out what I'm saying we could be out of a bend and on to the next one.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 15/03/2012 18:08  

Good on ya Ragnar

I am sure you will figure something out to communicate with each other

(Northerner & Southerner ... where is the interpreter going to go ?)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2012 18:41  

We'll get by, I can understand my brother (just) who now talks funny after living up north for over 20 years. So I know a few phrases like "who's got my flat cap" and "got to take whippet for a run"

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 15/03/2012 19:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email