MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Camping

Camping - Forums [Biker Match] Camping - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Camping

Hello,
Have only been camping once in the last twenty years and then I didn't get there by motorbike!
Really want to get to some of our rallies etc but need to buy all the gear. The choice of tents, cooking and sleeping equipment etc is baffling.
Are there any tips for what I really have got to AVOID and simply MUST NOT DO/BUY, please.

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 24/02/2012 13:58  

Just need a tent & sleepin bag, you shouldn't need much more and leaves loadsa space for essentials like JD...... or is that just me and my style of rallying ;-D

On a serious note go outdoors do some excellent deals on tents and sleeping bag. Look at something like the tempest 200 or spectra 300, ideal for rally's and also for at least a 3 season sleeping bag if thinking of goin out in the spring.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 24/02/2012 15:00  

B 4 u spend any dosh, try roughing it first, as camping is not to everyone's taste. Find a friend who has all the gear, and share. U will only need a mattress and sleeping bag. Oh and take a mug to scrounge a brew. Then, if u like it, check out what everyone else takes.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/02/2012 15:02  

Hi Riggy, you must buy a tent; lol. I'm not jesting, it has been known for people to turn up and forget their tent. Look at Mountain Wharehouse for some good deals on tents and sleeping bags. Don't be tempted to go for the packages that include everything as the quality isn't great. Better to spend a bit more and get gear that will last. Small torch is always handy. I don't bother with beds, just use a roll matt on the floor of the tent. Some rallies I take a kettle and single burner stove, but most of the time I just buy drinks and food on site or nearby pubs.
I guess a lot depends on what bike you have and how much space you have as to what you take camping on a bike, but personally I'd sooner have a few sets of dry clothes than extra camping gadgets that will probably not get used. Don't go for 1 person tents though; they really are too small. You need room to get yourself in there along with your riding gear.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 24/02/2012 15:08  

Note to all, XK is making the coffee so all scrounge of him

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 24/02/2012 15:10  

I would reccomend the biker tent made by Kyham, well made, goes up in seconds,plenty of space, downside is its a little heavier than some. BUT as was commented earlier, try and rough it / share a few times and make sure you going to enjoy it b4 spending loadsda dosh on gear.That said, the right gear makes hell of a difference to enjoying camping... When U do buy, research it first and buy the best stuff u can afford, it will pay dividends in comfort and durability. Those LED head torch things useful as they leave hands free to do stuff! A self inflating mattress good investment too...again buy a good one tho. I dnt mean an airbed!! Thermorest is the original and maybe still the best but pricey.. There a compact insulated flask type stove you can get too, cant recall brand but heat up drinks in seconds rather than minutes...around £70 though but wil last years.

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 24/02/2012 15:45  

Just make sure everything you buy , tnt sleeping back, kipmat, is light and compact enough to be carried safely on two wheels, and thats it basically, common sense should dictate lol kevkool

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 24/02/2012 15:46  

Wow!
Thank's everyone - some sage advice ..... Especially the sharing
And the JD

I feel spending my birthday money is coming on.

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 24/02/2012 15:58  

You always take more than you need which is a big weight problem on a bike, then you realise what is needed after you see what others have, Must's have:- Tent - unless you share with some one who has a big tent Bed roll Sleeping bag Blow up pillow Mug Torch Wet wipes, toiletries etc Tea / coffee scrounge water on first camp, munchies Water proof bag to carry stuff on the bike (Aldi when they have them) and straps to tie down Change of gear unless you like being in bike gear all weekend Dont go mad buying stuff first time, pic things up as you go along Oh and dont forget the bike

Update Reply
Timeout @ 24/02/2012 17:26  

o er yeah a bog roll cums in handy as well also make sure brain is engaged lol kevkool

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 24/02/2012 17:32  

I wouldn't dismiss one man tents until you have seen them i have a kite shaped one fits me in middle and can fit lots of gear in the sides. I know some are tiny but not all.

Update Reply
Ho4701 @ 24/02/2012 19:52  

I've got a small two man, plenty of space for me plus gear. But need a down bag as my sprayway is lush but a bit large for bike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/02/2012 00:27  

Bog roll! Would have forgotten that one. Think I need to practice in the back garden, lol.

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 25/02/2012 12:10  

Timeout: You always take more than you need which is a big weight problem on a bike

You trying to say something Bob ????

Riggy66, it is really like Timeout says, you go with the essentials, then learn what is good for you and your individual needs, likes, comforts.

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 25/02/2012 12:56  

clean pair of knickers, mascara, hair gel/mouse or tie .... jeans unless you ride in tehm already, clean tshirt and something to keep ya warm when sitting around at night is the clothes essentials for me... anything extra is extra... somethin special for sat night (clothes that is ).... tent, kip bag, roll mats i think are cr@p so got inflatable mattress, and if all else fails just wrap it all in two black bin liners to keep it dry... bungee straps...money....and if ya really sorted a small campin stove to make first cuppa and cook some bacon an egs for breki (but thats me fellas job!!) and of course soem alcofrol or loads of alcofrol you will suss it as you go..... enjoy

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/02/2012 17:50  

*tries very hard not to think of Riggy practising with a bogroll in her back garden*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/02/2012 18:41  

XK - Try to not let your imagination get the better of you ... I was thinking about the tent!

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 26/02/2012 00:20  

Tent and sleeping bag bought - need to try putting the damn things together now.
Everything else is packed for Squires on Saturday.
Shame it is going to rain, and rain, and rain.

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 02/03/2012 08:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email