MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

oh how things have changed

oh how things have changed - Forums [Biker Match] oh how things have changed - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

oh how things have changed

i was wandering around excel yesterday and was amazed at what i saw. Now when i started riding back in the eighties motorbicyclists were social outcasts, we were dirty, undesirable louts who bit the heads of small birds and children. Now.... At the mcn show there is not one but two daily telegraph stands, with an attractive young lady offering a free dvd and book should i part with £2 for a copy of the telegraph. Now is it that motorcycling has become the epitome of respectability, that my having a shiny head and wrinkles overcomes the fact that i am a devil worshiping biker or maybe it's just that the telegraph has drooped the expected standard of it's readership to increase it's ciculation. Still it gives me a nice warm feeling to know i have finaly been accepted into the warm caring bosom of hardcore marketing. yours sincerely disgusted of sevenoaks.

Update Reply
xj @ 05/02/2012 18:26  

how the hell did this end up here, am sure i posted it in the general forum. That'll teach me to post half asleep, any chance of a mod moving it.

Update Reply
xj @ 05/02/2012 18:44  

Sir. Please consider who buys most new motorcycles these days, especially new Harleys. Disdainful of Kendal

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 05/02/2012 18:59  

omg, does that mean if i ride a motorcycle i am a merchant banker?
confused of cranbrook

Update Reply
xj @ 05/02/2012 21:29  

feck....ur impressed by a facist broadsheet like the telegraph! what does THAT say about todays bikers?

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 05/02/2012 23:24  

Thread moved to 'General' forum, as requested, XJ

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/02/2012 00:35  

Read ??? thicky of birmingham

Update Reply
JP @ 06/02/2012 12:41  

Hope u feel btr soon JPH.......... I was upset by the way the standard of the show was lowered by scantily clad women everywhere....even the Revolutions show had emm.......we go to see bootiful bikes dnt we.....

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 06/02/2012 19:31  

EErrrrr, That's right........Yeh!!

Update Reply
hdsnfun @ 06/02/2012 20:18  

Andy, funny how you didnt mention how long you stood trying to get a good photo of one of those scantily clad women!!

Update Reply
W.M.F. @ 06/02/2012 21:25  

ye thay kept gtn on way of the bike was trying to get in shot.... xx

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 07/02/2012 10:52  

How? She was standing the other side of the bike, and not even anywhere near it!!!

Update Reply
W.M.F. @ 07/02/2012 11:20  

bring back the daily sport lol

Update Reply
berniepan @ 07/02/2012 16:33  

when u in a hole.....Stop digging!!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 07/02/2012 21:01  

Think that's best hun! Luv ya

Update Reply
W.M.F. @ 07/02/2012 22:41  

Getting back to the topic of the thread......I remember when used to go to rallies quite a few years ago, and end up wandering into a town, how the general public would cross the street to avoid walking on the same side of the street as bikers..................We were leapers, outcasts, but now, (and not takin peee out of people) due to mid life crisis of the rich and bored, we are socially accepted!!!!!!!

The times they are a changin"

Update Reply
wenders @ 08/02/2012 01:31  

hmm right now I feel like a leper wenders feel shite....dnt like it,,

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 08/02/2012 12:41  

thanx for moving it sandi. Far from being a subliminal advert for the daily telegraph the crux of the original post, as wenders posted, is that when i started riding bikes to throw your leg over a motorcycle was to step outside of society. Nowadays the very bastions of respectability seem to have no aversion to using two wheels as well as four, and so bringing motorcycling itself into the mainstream. The cynic in me thinks this is because motorcyclists are now percieved to have money and are therefore a huge market to be tapped by companies seeking to sell their goods, so we are portrayed in the media as normal people now and not physcopathic axe murderers.
As for the telegraph it is a good paper with a heavy political leaning, as are all newspapers. But they have for years marketed themselves at the opposite end of the spectrum to how bikers were percieved, so the tounge in cheek musings were as to whether bikers have become socialy acceptable or whether the telegraph had become less concerned about its target consumer and more concerned about profits.
As for me i read the metro coz its free and motorcycle news coz it's interesting.

Update Reply
xj @ 08/02/2012 15:12  

Many motorcyclist do have lots of money...somebody is buying new bikes. And look around - many many (ahem) older motorcyclists about, whether they're newbies, born again or been biking non stop for years. People's attitudes and passions tend to dull a little over the years. So someone who was an anarchist or a fully paid up member of militant tendency in the 1970s, after toeing the line and building a career, raising a family, becoming disillusioned with new labour, could well end up reading the Telegraph. I think most people know a biker in the family or their social circle. Every road in comfy suburban estates with tidy gardens has a biker living in it. There are 3 biker households in the 8 houses where I live. I think the media is recognising and relecting a social change that has already happened I myself have a grudging respect for the Telegraph. It came as part of the package with my ex partner and after I got over the shock, horror and disbelief that the man I fell for was a Telegraph reader , I actually enjoyed reading it cos it was there and there's some really good quality journalism in there. I think seeing a telegraph stand at the bike show suggests that their perception of bikers is that they are an intelligent bunch...which is good cos we know that to be true I don't have the partner any more so I seldom see a Telegraph and certainly wouldn't buy one. But I must say I enjoyed Saturday morning lie-ins...tea, toast & Telegraph crossword

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 08/02/2012 15:54  

Y W XJ Talking about newspapers, I've never read the Telegraph or the Guardian but I've been doing the Guardian crossword (the Quick version) on line. I used to read the 'Today' newspaper but when it went bust I didn't have a paper for years then started reading the 'Daily Express' I remember the 'No travellers, no bikers' signs in almost all pubs in the mid 1970's, (the nicer pubs would just say 'No Jeans') I used to wonder WHY? as we just rode bikes and went to the pub to listen to music and meet up with our mates. Then I realised they were mistaking ordinary bikers for Hells Angels, who did have a bad reputation, and some deservedly so. One H A asked my fella if he'd swap a pack of 20 cigarettes for me! (I was 18 at the time)Thankfully the fella in question didn't speak much English lol (he is French) and I told the H A what he could do with his fags.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/02/2012 17:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email