MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Lowering a GSX600F?

Lowering a GSX600F? - Forums [Biker Match] Lowering a GSX600F? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Lowering a GSX600F?

Just bought a GSX600F ... i think it has standard seat height of about 30 inches and i am not comfortable being a little bit more than tip toe on it , does anyone know how to get it lowered ?

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 27/01/2012 11:38  

hiya PT .... there are lowering kits available for your bike on ebay...... fixed length type ..... its not a hard job just fiddly plus the bike needs supporting with the weight taken off the rear wheel.... there are adjustable kits available but buy from the home market because the ones advertised from the states are good but be prepared to have to pay a chunk of duty fees to the customs and excise on delivery......hope this helps......pete......

Update Reply
nellie @ 27/01/2012 13:44  

Pete is right,

I will be test riding one myself soon. The local dealer is going to lower it for me so I am ok with it,

Hope you get it sorted

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/01/2012 14:12  

well i know its a diff bike but i had my bandit 400 lowered by buying the different dog bones off ebay - they were cheap and they lowered it quite a bit - got a mate to fit em for me and he also slightly lowered the forks to ensure bike was proportioned (im sure that aint the word im looking for hahaha) well enough as in balanced front and back once lowered. on my cbr400 i just lowered he forks but that means you can dive into corners more sharply mid corner so to speak which some peeps like but you gotta make sure its all balanced front and back when you lower it. THe only other thing it affected on my bandit was the side stand obviously is closer to the ground so it doesnt lean over quite so much so if lowered a lot you may need to sort your side stand too or just be aware when parking up!! i got fed up with all the lowering milarky and am now the very very happy owner of a harley sportster which fits me like a glove just as she is... wooohooo at last lol anyhow its all possible to lower just a bit of changing to do and enjoy your lurverly newww bikey x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/01/2012 17:02  

pilly, an other option you could consider is shaving the seat. It's fairly inexpensive and doesn't effect road handling like lowering kits can.
It all depends how much lower you need, but you can get a fair bit by shaving and even shorter leg reach if insert a gel pad. Only problem with gel pad is it can become uncomfortable on longer rides.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 29/01/2012 19:20  

Thanks guys, im thinking of just shaving some of the seat, i think i'd get away with just an inch or so so my feet are touching ground more lol ..... i'll try that 1st , not sure if it can be lowered with dogbones or not, i'd have to look into that more

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 30/01/2012 00:04  

Hi Pilly why dont you just grow your legs a bit longer

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/01/2012 06:42  

Hi Pilly,

If its the old "teapot" 89-98 our the later "jelly mould" 98-06 version of the GSXF, then It can be lowered with alternative dogbones.

Dropping the forks through the yokes can help even out the steering geomerty If lowering the back end makes the front feel light.

Also, on the 98-02 models, you can fit the top yokes from the 750 version which brings the bars up and back a couple of inches and (in my opinion anyway) makes the riding position a lot more comfortable.

The GSXF was a lot more popular/sucessfull in the states (where it kept the katana moniker) and there is a wealth of information available at www.katriders.com, the guys over were always helpfulness when I had trouble with my 750F or dads 600F

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/01/2012 21:53  

thanks guys - mine is a R reg , think that makes it a 97 ? .... i'll take a look at that site GSF thanks :-)

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 06/02/2012 17:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email