MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Nods, waves and leg shakes!

Nods, waves and leg shakes! (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Nods, waves and leg shakes! (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Nods, waves and leg shakes!

I love to see bikers going past me and I will always nod, even though I am never on a bike lol. My children used to wonder what I was doing, now they know, they just let me get on with it. I generally have a big grin on my face when I am being over taken by a bike, they get a smile and a nod then, even though the rider won't generally see or notice it. Still makes me happy knowing I have acknowledged them though. Keep nodding. xktx

Update Reply
ktU2 @ 21/01/2012 11:45  

i nod at all other bikers but if there is a group comin towards hahaha!! one or two nods to all of em ... , i love it, its like acknowledging a fellow freedom fighter... acknowledging a common bond a belief and a fellow biker... ya get strange folk in all walks tho and some peeps i guess will never nod back for their own reasons... mardy gets i call em hahahaha Ive also had the leg out done to me (ooh matron hahaha) i think its just a way of sayin "cheers for lettin me past ya and respect fellow biker"... great aint it i love it -

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/01/2012 17:08  

I dont discriminate with my nods either,

Tho I can understand the waving being less here in the UK than in Europe ... in Europe driving on the right, a wave with the left hand is easy to do (and safer than a wave with the right ) and can be clearly seen by a biker travelling in the other direction , even on motorways overseas I have noticed that bikers will wave to each other.

The foot out did kinda throw me when I first encountered it ... going round a roundabout in France someone on the inside of me on the left stuck his leg out at almost a right angle, I thought he was trying to hoof me off my bike till Ian told me what it meant lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 21/01/2012 17:49  

I think the further South you go the less you get just due to sheer amount of bikers and yep the "Churchill dog" syndrome.

I do nod at any biker/scooter or wave but the ones I don't see doing it back i just think I never seen what they did. I don't stare at an oncoming biker so might of missed it. If there is a group coming I tend to wave and just leave my hand up for a bit . The only people i don't wave at in Edinburgh is the parking attendants on their scooters.

The only people i don't expect them from is HOG or old skool patched MCC clubs as they tend to have a snobbish minority in them sadly but i still wave (and get them back from the ones who make the effort).

Uk is nods or a wave very few I see wave a leg
USA you get the peace sign with fingers pointed towards middle of the road
Europe and specifically Germany tends to be a leg wave but both the last two areas they drive on wrong side so easier due to where throttle hand is

Update Reply
madscots @ 21/01/2012 18:11  

I had never heard of the leg wave thing until I read this thread, some peeps may have done it to me but I probably asumed they were getting comfortable.

If I overtake a slower bike I tend to give a little wave with my left hand, do the same if a car moves to the left for me too.

Update Reply
WelshAL @ 21/01/2012 19:05  

i always thank car drivers who pull over too Al with left hand wave and not everyone does the leg thing... it does look kinda cool tho

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/01/2012 19:07  

Ah this old chestnut again I nod at everything that comes towards me and wave to everyone i pass (though not too many these days) and i'm on a HOG ... oh except chavs on putputs If they nod back, nice one, brings a smile to my face ....... if they don't.... i think feck em, what an arrogant t**t.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 21/01/2012 19:18  

One of the problems I see (taking into account that majority of my travel is during commuter hours) is the commuter hour syndrome - everybody just seems to want to get from A to B in 5 minutes even though they know darn well that it's a 10 minute journey.

Under those conditions, especially as a lot of riders now at those times are not actually 'into biking' they are just using a cheaper form of transport, most bikers that I see fall into the same category as most other commuters on the road - sod anyone else. I see very few reply nods during these times, anywhere that I've been in the country.

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 21/01/2012 19:36  

leg waves is what they do on the continent, i think there easier to see as you can miss a nod if your concentrating on were your going

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 21/01/2012 21:47  

I won't do the leg wavin,.. don't want to be only half in control if I hit a slippy bit or manhole cover. I'll wave at other ST drivers, and tourers, and nod at anyone on a plastic missile,... unless they are really pushing the limits of their luck, if they bin it they might hit me! Scooterists don't get anything!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 21/01/2012 22:31  

yip I nod or wave in UK and leg wave in Europe, nods have got less,, just thought it was the new generation,to cool to nod,, on the contenent other bikers never miss a leg wave,, I met a bike coming round a corner in the south of france scratching thier pegs and still gave a leg wave,, I neerly had to stop cos I was laghing so much.

Update Reply
AlpineBusa @ 21/01/2012 23:09  

I got a nod from every one of a gaggle of about 10 Harley riders coming towards me on my little 125 on Morecambe Prom last summer....was well made up

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/01/2012 00:05  

Erm, Minnie.... they weren't nodding, they were just going over a speed bump!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 22/01/2012 00:12  

I Nod.. and I'm in the car! Always!! Side by side at traffic lights or roundabouts is usually where most of the return nodding occurs.. Sometimes I get a strange look but then I always get a smile and a nod back ~ Tis nice to be nice Minx always waves when she can too.. sometimes almost frantically.. the funniest being the protest ride outs... going up the M1 it must have looked like she was being abducted!! But it makes her day when she gets a nod or a wave back.. Can't wait for "proper on me bike nods" but have absolutely no idea what this leg wiggling thing is all about.. and pretty pointless when Im in the car too... unless they're looking through the window

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 22/01/2012 17:32  

Now let me get this straight.... u pull up at traffic lights and start smiling and nodding at the guy in the next car... I wonder what goes thru his mind!....followed by And then u zoom off, leaving him with a Shame on you!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/01/2012 17:44  

Lmao XK!! I should've known.. still a bit slow on the uptake but You got it wrong hun.. he/she/they are usually on a Bike

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 22/01/2012 17:55  

when riding i would nod at anything 2 or 3 wheeled (reliants usually excluded!!),
when pillion, i wave at anything 2 or 3 wheeled, and also kids in backs of cars or on pavements who give us a wave.

i would also give a quick thumbs up to any slower moving traffic which moves over slightly to allow ease of passing.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/01/2012 19:48  

i alway give them a wave back when kids wave

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 23/01/2012 23:23  

I always give a nod to anybody on any type of bike whether they are approaching or I'm passing them. But what I have noticed is Harley riders especially and other cruiser riders appear to have a sight problem,and as for Gold wing riders well...no comment.
" Leg waving " I only use to let any person behind me when overtaking that it is safe for them to follow when their view is restricted.
Got my seat belt on and waiting for replies

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 15:54  

ah hahahaha - well funny you should say that pj46 coz since i been riding my bootiful harley i find that some sports bike riders dont nod me!!!! hahahaha i dunno i think some bikers nod everyone and some dont...i guess some folk are more friendly and social than others!!! it dont stop me noddin em all tho....like a wee churchill dog i am ... hahaha... jus kiddin

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 16:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email