MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

How safe are the roads where you live?

How safe are the roads where you live? - Forums [Biker Match] How safe are the roads where you live? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

How safe are the roads where you live?

Britain has one of the best records in the world for road casualties. However, hundreds still die on the roads every year. In 2010, the police recorded 1,850 deaths, 22,660 people seriously injured and 184,138 who received light injuries. Using official data recorded by police in Great Britain between 1999 and 2010, The BBC have plotted every road collision in which someone died. In all, 36,371 fatalities are marked on this interactive map. You will also find partial data for Northern Ireland, for 2004-2009. Click the link below to see data for you area: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720Just put in your postcode and tick motorcyle on the right.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 19/01/2012 18:35  

Something wrong with their data, put my area in and zero deaths of any sort, and I know of a few within 1/2 mile let alone the 5 mile radius given. Tried a northern code to check system and came up with lots.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 19/01/2012 20:12  

Harry, the BBC do admit that it is not definitive and some data may have been missed. If you could help with their data collection from what you know, you can do so through the link on the page.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 19/01/2012 21:32  

Just had another look and found that when I panned the map in and out it showed up the sites, its a bit touchy to stop on right spot. Did find a few I knew nothing about.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 20/01/2012 19:49  

Roads around here are perfectly safe at the moment; I'm on the computer.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 20/01/2012 22:40  

Mmm..quite a few pedestrians killed in blackpool area :-/

Update Reply
missme @ 20/01/2012 23:01  

Great if not a tad shockin bit of info Bomb :) Good on ya finding this xx

Update Reply
wenders @ 21/01/2012 00:06  

Facinating of not a bit morbid, found dear Lucies departure. Man could she ride FAF but now she is helping young motorcyclists stay on their bikes. She put me to shame on many a ride out. She had an ace send off 300+ bikes in a convoy from the church to the eatery, it was an anazing day I am sure she loved it, played worrior dance by the prodogy full balst through the churches PA man the acoustics were good in the church. Its heart breaking but of you want to read about it its here http://www.therevcounter.com/general-mayhem/37610-lucie...today.html

Update Reply
d-w-b-h @ 21/01/2012 07:05  

Apologises for the morbidity of this thread d-w-b-h and all members. I did take some time reflecting on wether to post it or not. But I felt that due to it being open source information and the interesting facts it presents, it was only right to share it on here. Just took the time to read Lucies thread.... What an amazing tribute to her and the awesome support and comfort for yourself and everyone that knew her. Ride with the Angels Lucie. xxx (I'm not gonna admit I was blubbering like a 5 yr old when reading it)

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 21/01/2012 10:03  

No worries any excuse to remember Lucie she was a top burd, thanks for the consideration though. oh and that blubbering you referred to is called dust in the eyes if you get my drift.
(gets me every time I tell ya, but shhh eh mums the word!)

Update Reply
d-w-b-h @ 21/01/2012 11:22  

Omagine this full blast in a church, it shouldn't work but it did. Apologies for all those who's taste doesn't run to the Prodogy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBNpdXkLnU

Update Reply
d-w-b-h @ 21/01/2012 11:43  

Also apologies for the typos, I have a little brain - eye (complete with dust)-hand-finger-mismatch going on

Update Reply
d-w-b-h @ 21/01/2012 11:53  

Ah right d-w-b-h, i gotta ya one the one .... pesky dust particles

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 22/01/2012 07:47  

Hereford council go for natural hole filling,, at least leave it long enough n u wont know its a hole

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 28/01/2012 19:32  

I just checked this out for my area once the dust from DBW's posts had dissapeared... After the chatroom conversation last night.. it has been playing on my mind.. especially where Minx is concerned... However.. where I will be learning to ride/riding... there has only been one accident since 2008 and that was in June 2010... ~ The roads here are beautiful to ride.. scenic.. windy.. scary.. every other descriptive word you might find lush... Soooooooo.. remembering that if we let every little fear stop us from doing something.. we would never get out of bed! One thing I did notice.. and not sure if it's indicitive of the times but the fatalities in 2008 were mostly boys age 16-18.. think back then there was a resurrgeance locally of riding trail bikes two up with no protection on the streets... Still see it now a little when you get into the main town estates.. want to slap them!

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 29/01/2012 16:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email