MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Bikers?

Bikers? - Forums [Biker Match] Bikers? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Bikers?

I know that there's some discussion about whether this is a biker social site or a biker dating site. But it is a biker site. Should people be allowed to turn up to events in cars ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2012 20:11  

owww ill get the popcorn this will be good

canofworms enyone

Update Reply
kaycat @ 17/01/2012 20:27  

Grabs a cup of tea and the popcorn! Wonders whether to start a sweep stake as to who comments first. The disabled or the parents on the site. The thing is peoples circumstances change. At some points in my life I have had only a bike as a form of transport, at others only a car, at the moment I have both. It doesn't change the fact that I am bonkers about bikes. As long as you have that interest and are respectful of the bikes, whats the problem? I have been to rallies in a car, even when I had a bike, due to the fact that a bike accident related shoulder injury prevented me riding any distance. It's a smallish rally that I have been going to for many a year and am friends with the organisers, they decided that it was better to see me, even though I was in a car, than not see me at all.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/01/2012 20:29  

Brings the comfy seats & the hot water bottles & blankets (after all it is cold) & Joins Kay & Frag

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/01/2012 20:44  

Should people be allowed to turn up to events in cars? Yes

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/01/2012 20:50  

I took the car in preference to the bike to the Christmas party in December and nobody complained. On the other hand, I might reasonably expect a bit of flak if I turned up to a bike rally in the car.

Update Reply
pistonbroke72 @ 17/01/2012 20:51  

The answer is YES of course! I've been around bikes since before I was born (the parents were bikers), rode my first solo at the age of 12 and never looked back. Having had bikes for most of my adult life, I'm bikeless at the mo' as mine was stolen. but I still like to admire bikes, hear them, enjoy the ambiance of a gathering and meet friends and new people at them.
However, if I'm not lucky enough to be offered a pilly - and I'm a dam fine pilly tho' I say so myself - does that mean I'm barred from a major part of my life because I would have to travel there by car - or bus - or whatever?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2012 20:52  

walking wounded excepted l'm talking about people turning up in cars coz on that particular day,they chose to leave the bike at home. Maybe it looked rain .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2012 21:13  

Don't actually see a problem with it, been through this one a few times since ང. As frag says circumstances can change, me and mine had to go to 1st KISS rally last year in the car, a few did, hope I can keep the old FZ running this year so shouldn't be a problem. When you say it's a biker site the truth is it's a bike social site where you can meet like minded people, to me like minded doesn't mean you own a bike it means you've an interest in bikes and bike related issues, lots of the riders on here have a spare seat for those that don't have one, you'll notice on the events there's a button for requesting lifts & another for offering them. Don't know if other biker sites have that facility but that's one of the things that makes BM a better site we're more sociable and we don't discriminate non riders.....Also there's the 125 owners, some of the distances to the rallies can be a drag on a 125 so they use cars if no available pilly seat..

Update Reply
old red @ 17/01/2012 21:14  

Some only pilly at events , so ya got to be able to get to the event. The bikes broke,,, I aint a hermit ,, party I do. My partners in Scotland, Im in Plymouth the meets in Brum,,,, yeh like.............. Bikes cars vans,,, so long as the interest is bike,, you make an effort to ride when pos or are willing to pilly, the rest is just being social,,,, Hope thats toffee popcorn

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 17/01/2012 21:15  

This old chestnut...yawn

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 17/01/2012 21:18  

Wish I'd known this was gonna be on tonight me and Elliemay would have got ourselves some popcorn....Now where's them bourbon creams??

Update Reply
old red @ 17/01/2012 21:19  

So far I've heard good reasons for arriving in a car . But I ain't talking about reasons I'm talking about excuses. I'm talking about some rally sites having entire fields set aside for socalled bikers to park their cars.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2012 21:27  

Yes......As the words of the song go......I don't care how you get here, just get here if you can!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2012 21:27  

I hope you dont mind the 'gental ribbing' dusty ... but this has lead to some *ahem* heated (to say the least) debates on the subject in the past,

OK admittedly not for a while & there are lots of new people to the site who will not have commented before on the subject, so will have the chance, but it always provokes some ... interesting & debate causing ... replies

PS Gremlin ... course it is

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/01/2012 21:30  

Never mind turning up in a car, turning up at all when it's freezing cold, to sleep in a tent, always makes me wonder 'why'? Dustin, you come across as pretty scathing of those who arrive at a rally in a car, why does it bother you? Does arriving in a car make a person less of a person? Riding a bike doesn't make anyone different to anyone else, they're just choosing a different mode of trasnsport to the majority. Surely what matters is getting there, making friends, meeting up with old friends and having a good time.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/01/2012 21:32  

@ dustin - First you ask a generic question, then you back track, dividing it into reasons and excuses. Make your mind up!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/01/2012 21:35  

If i had a really long distance to travel, and I mean the length of the country, I would possibly put my bike in the back of the van and drive the van. I love being on bikes, much more than driving the van, but if it saves my back/arse/ left hand I would rather drive 300 miles and know i'll have a good time when i get there, plus i can chuck my tent sleeping back, clothes etc in the back too without have to limit myself to a couple of t-shirts and a pair of trousers! I think driving sometimes is my preference if i have a long distance to travel!

Update Reply
Big_Paul @ 17/01/2012 21:39  

Lots of bashes have become popular with none bikers,,, because bikers know how to party,, bikers have a dont mess with me image that that attracts a certain kinda following If granny taps me on the shoulder says love your bike,, used to ride one durring the war,,,, is she still a biker or was her membership card taken when she had her hip done, does the 16 year old saving for his first bike have the right to join in or should we put an age limit,,,,

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 17/01/2012 21:41  

Well said Gremlinmike, i had an old boy come up to me the other day when i was stopped for a smoke outside the Co-op. He said 'what a nice bike, i didn't know Triumph were still around, I used to ride one of those back in the 40's.'
Really nice to chat to him and he asked if i was going to the bike meet, he said he'd be there as he liked the old bikes. Long story short, he was going to turn up with his daughter and grand children in the car. I think its great that people of a more experienced generation still get involved and i learn a lot from them!

Update Reply
Big_Paul @ 17/01/2012 21:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email