MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Christmas - The Alternative Perspective

Christmas - The Alternative Perspective - Forums [Biker Match] Christmas - The Alternative Perspective - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Christmas - The Alternative Perspective

I had a thought last night (well, it is Christmas, so I thought I'd treat myself!)
It occurred to me, along with a little prompting from my best friend, Consuela, that 25th December is merely a celebration of the birth of the God of Retail and his offspring, food & drink.
Worship is done via the bible of Argos, and at the alters of Ebay & Shopping Centres/Outlet Villages.

Are Consuela and I being cynical or merely realistic?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/12/2011 07:26  

LOL how apt.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 22/12/2011 08:24  

Very true....

Update Reply
Gizzmo7 @ 22/12/2011 15:08  

Good afternoon mandy. I think that Christmas means many different things to many different people. There are alot that fit the profile in your post, which i personally think is a shame but then when you delve deeper into the day-to-day lives of these people, they have not a spiritual bone in their bodies, so in many ways i applaud them for their consistency and lack of hypocrisy of then adopting a religious outlook on Christmas. There are many that don't possess a romantic bone in their bodies but spend copious amounts of money on valentines day to sooth their guilt of not paying enough attention to their partners through the rest of the year, as if that one day is enough...same with Christmas. Personally, i am not religious (well actually i am but bent more to paganism than Christianity) but am a traditionalist and a hopeless romantic, so i love the old 'chestnuts around an open fire' idea and in my heart of hearts there's still an old hippy residing, so peace and love is nice to see (if only on a small scale). I always remember reading about how in the war the fighting stopped on Christmas day and all the trenches met in no-mans land to chat and play football..always bought a lump to my throat that. You are right that Christmas has lost alot for many but it has also gained more for many more. There are an awful lot of people who celebrate Christmas religiously. Seasonal love and greetings to you mandy, however you celebrate it yourself... ..iceman

Update Reply
iceybusa @ 22/12/2011 15:30  

i'm totally non religious and just like giving pressies to my loved ones, but dont need the excuse of xmas to do that!!
however, in all seriousness, the pressure people put themselves under is quite worrying - life should be enjoyable, and there are stresses enough without piling more on oneself, so if you dont have all the trimmings, does it really matter?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/12/2011 20:37  

There will be so many of us this Christmas unable to spend to the extreme, but the spirit of Christmas will be alive and stronger than ever. Families will still gather together as best they can. Laughter and reminiscing will bind them together. They will share food and time with each other and support those nearest and dearest who need it.

Admittedly, this could happen at any time of the year, but this day remains special to many. (...and if my kids kidnap the baby Jesus from the crib again to hold Him ransom; or if "Mary" gives birth to a cushion in the passage as happened last year...then we'll giggle even more :>>)
Happiness starts in the heart ...Happy Christmas to my special BM family

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 22/12/2011 21:57  

Hi mandy. Indeed it doesn't (shouldn't) matter if you don't have all the trimmings but then i'm speaking purely from a selfishly personal position, if i was thinking of what i'd want to offer to a child or loved one that highly valued those trimmings, then i would want to give them the best i possibly could (and then some). Of course, if they felt as i do, then life would be so much easier and more simple but equally so, it takes all to make a world.

Update Reply
iceybusa @ 23/12/2011 21:38  

Twas the night before christmass
and all through the house
everybody felt shitty even the mouse

mum at the whorehouse
and dad smoking grass
I'd just settled down for a nice peace of ass

when out on the lawn
I heard such a clatter
I sprung to my feet to see what was the matter

out on the lawn
I saw a big prick
I knew in a moment
it must be saint Nick

he came down the chimney
like a bat out of hell
I knew right then
the daft fker had fell

he filled all our stockings
with pretzels and beer
and a big rubber willy
for my brother the queer

he rose up the chimney
with a thunderouse fart
the son of bitch
blew the chimney apart

he swore and cursed
as he rode out of sight
piss on you all
and have a hell of a night

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 23/12/2011 21:52  

Hello Alice. Nice post, especially your 'Happiness starts in the heart'. I suppose that there are many singular ingredients that when mixed together in the right proportions form happiness, just as with the collective recipe for love. Best regards and seasonal wishes... ..icey

Update Reply
iceybusa @ 23/12/2011 21:56  

Nealy! you naughty boy, I've nicked the poem for my son, he'll love it Icey, I thought Paganism derived from Christianity, or is that the other way round? Alice, made me laugh about your kids holding baby Jesus to ransom

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/12/2011 07:59  

Hahaha WheelyNealy..........luv it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 24/12/2011 10:03  

Seasonal Greetings Sandi. Lol...Pagonism was around way before Christianity. Our fair isle was heavily into Paganism before the roman conquest enforced their religious beliefs upon it's inhabitants. Many (if not most) of the high-seated sites of Pagan ritual worship were adopted by and adapted to, the Christian Church's as the populace where already proficient in their journeys to those sites. It is highly believed (among certain circles) that the church also adopted most of the Pagan calender for the same reasons. Best regards... ..icey

Update Reply
iceybusa @ 25/12/2011 09:10  

Shit me Mandy had an "Original" thought - is it a first???? (jokin babe) Love the poem Nealy

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 25/12/2011 11:00  

liked yer posts icebussa.... There isnt enuff love and care in our modern world..an by that I mean on a family/freind level....we all too busy looking after our selfish selves to notice other folks needs.... I as guilty as the next there....but I feel if we all love/ support our immediate families/friends we will feel more able to help others and share the lushness with all. Have a very happy day folks, big hugs....andy

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 25/12/2011 11:19  

nothing original about me, but thats what makes me unique!!!
hope you and kaz have fab time simon - hugs & stuff to you both!
i'm spending today with my girls, and second xmas tomorrow with a very naughty boy!! so all good!!!!! xxxx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/12/2011 14:00  

Good Evening Andy. Nice of you to say and i'm glad that you liked my posts..cheers. I hear what you are saying re-'not enough love around'. It is quite apt for my present turn around of my life this past year. I closed down my business of 25 years, rented out my house and moved back to my mothers house to look after her. I am now her full time carer. My step-father was for many years but having suffered a stroke last Christmas eve and since another three TIA's, he needs looking after himself now, so i am looking after them both. I figured that she had made many sacrifices for me through my childhood, so it's only right that i let karma use me as it's tool and re-pay the compliment. Although it is somewhat demanding having lived alone for so many years in my own house, it spreads the love and keeps the world turning in the right direction. Love has many facades and to stop it souring, all those faces need a gentle and selfless kiss on the cheek from time to time. Best wishes... ..icey

Update Reply
iceybusa @ 25/12/2011 20:22  

Christmas for me can mean many things, but most importantly it is a time to remember and acknowledge those close to you both past and present. It is also about those we don't know who are in a vunerable situation. The gift thing has become disproportionate to the original idea of giving. What you give another person does not have to be a material thing, Some people will gain so much from simple acknowledement or a sign of love and caring. Don't get me wrong I give presents but prefer to give something with thought and meaning. The cost is not important no matter how small or large. These are not my words:- The most important date in the festive season for Pagans is the winter solstice which always takes place around December 21. Called Yule, it is one of the traditional Celtic fire festivals and marks the return of the light after the longest night of the year. It was thought that christians decided to use the 25th Dec for their celebrations as people were already in a celebratory mood. The birth of Jesus is not exactly known and it could be anything from September to late February.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 25/12/2011 21:53  

Not my words either.. but I love these and my sentiments are the same... What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past.. courage for the present.. hope for the future... It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal.. and that every path may lead to peace... ~ Agnes M. Pahro

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 26/12/2011 14:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email