MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Off to exchange bodily fluids

Off to exchange bodily fluids - Forums [Biker Match] Off to exchange bodily fluids - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Off to exchange bodily fluids

Yup, I'm off to exchange bodily fluids shortly, and in public too! Nowhere as exciting as it may sound, though I will get some free biscuits thrown in too! The bodily fluid exchange is actually 1 small bag of blood for 1 cup of tea (ok,I know tea isn't a bodily fluid but if you take milk there you go), not a bad exchange rate as I've got plenty more where that came from. Seriously though, I reckon giving regular blood donations is something us bikers should all be involved in if we can, you never know when you may need your next pint right? The way I see it the Blood Banks like any other bank, if you expect a payout anytime you should be prepared to put something into it if you can, and at least this bank isn't run by a bunch of thieving w*****s! Plus, after 10, 25, 50 etc donations you get nice enamel badges which look cool amongst your 'Sheep Molesters Rally' and 'I ride a SuziYamHonKawa' badges.Some thing to think about, if you haven't already.

Update Reply
centurion @ 13/12/2011 09:12  

Hi centurion, sadly some folk are not able to donate for various reasons, myself included.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/12/2011 11:46  

yeah, I realise that, hence I did say twice in that post 'if you can', and the tick box you have to fill in before donating does make it clear just how many groups of people CANT donate for various reasons, making it all the more important that those who can do consider it, thats all I'm saying

Update Reply
centurion @ 13/12/2011 12:12  

Yep sorry, me bad, I didn't read it correctly.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/12/2011 12:16  

I'm one of the can'ts too But having worked in blood transfusion many moons ago, I can't praise the donors enough. What better Xmas gift can anyone give? Thanks cent..and all the rest of you out there

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 13/12/2011 13:46  

I already go every 16 weeks but I do try to drag along others

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/12/2011 15:58  

have been doing this since i was 18, (yes that is a long time before folk say!) and so have collected quite a few free drinks and chocolate biscuits! the restrictions against giving full blood do not always stop you donating, its possible to give and then they just use the platelets or the plasma after its seperated out (ie for burns victims) so its always worth double checking!! plus its like a free health check every 4 months, :-))

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 14/12/2011 19:26  

<!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->I got started after I needed some for myself from the bank, and thought I might just need some again so Ill make some deposits then wont feel so bad about having to take some out, now 30 years later and the proud owner of a 50 + badge Im well in credit if I need any more.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 14/12/2011 19:35  

Well done to everyone who donates

I do go every time they come round and offer meself, however, my blood count varies and sometimes it's too low for me to donate
I'm also AB negative, which is one of the blood groups they tend to be short of too, which makes me feel worse if I can't donate

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 14/12/2011 20:35  

I've been donating for a while, although sometimes a bit patchily. Someone at work sorted out a van coming round though, which makes things easier and it's time away from work. I've not so far been turned away for blood reasons, I was borderline for iron levels once. I think it's an important thing for everyone that can to do so. Our new Indian guy didn't realise the extra importance of other races donating as they tend to differ in blood make up, he'll be popping along next time.

Interesting how you started after receiving wheelbarrow, as if you received after 1980(?) that you can't donate again in current rules.

Grats everyone and here's to hoping we never need it back ;p

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 14/12/2011 21:09  

<!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->I didnt know about that rule ST but then my receive was in Oct 79 so just made the deadline.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 15/12/2011 01:14  

To encourage my staff to give blood they can get an extra days holiday for each donation. That works!

Update Reply
Alphadeltabravo @ 23/12/2011 00:31  

Yep, as Say Ten says, if you've received after Jan 1980 then you can't donate because of the possible risk of vCJD. More info here: http://www.blood.co.uk/pdf/vcjd.pdf
I never considered giving blood until I needed some myself but when I tried I was declined. It's a shame as I expect the uptake in donors is (or would be) much higher when awareness has been raised due to personal experience.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 23/12/2011 07:38  

I donated today one unit of A pos

Update Reply
Ho4701 @ 23/12/2011 20:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email