MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Bennetts say no more than 3 mods or insurance invalid

Bennetts say no more than 3 mods or insurance invalid (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Bennetts say no more than 3 mods or insurance invalid (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Bennetts say no more than 3 mods or insurance invalid

`cos were all going to get on boss`s policy

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 22/11/2011 20:40  

I have an extensively modified bike. see my profile pics. Bennetts will change policy when their sales drop. Like most they are blarzay to say the least.

Update Reply
TonyG @ 29/12/2011 01:02  

is it me or am i the only one that needs explaining how a "sticker" is in any way modifying a bike .... im not suprised they have taken it off and i am suprised it was ever listed as a modification!!!!but i have been warned by a mate to check with my insurance when i add some bits....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/01/2012 19:51  

I've just swapped from eBike to Bennetts and exactly halved my insurance to a whisker under £60 TPFT for a 15-year-old BMW R1100 that almost bog-standard (intake tubes from a GS, gives it a bit more mid-range torque at the expense of 10mph off the top speed). With savings like that I'll allow them to be a bit picky.

Update Reply
Wills @ 08/01/2012 19:59  

Im insured with Devitt Insurance and this is what they say...

Modifications don't mean big insurance price hikesToo many motorcycle owners are failing to tell their insurers about modifications to their motorcycles either because they fear the changes will increase their insurance premiums, or because they don't realise they need to. However, following a recent review, we can reveal that many of the most common modifications actually have little or no effect on premiums at all.
This contrasts with failing to tell an insurer about modifications which could result in the insurer refusing to pay when a claim is made - particularly if the modification is a factor in the claim. Many of Britain's bikers' favourite modifications have virtually no impact on insurance premiums. These include modifications such as crash bars, crash mushrooms, road legal after-market exhausts, huggers, up-rated braking systems and a five per cent increase in engine capacity.
Other modifications including wheels, suspension, Dynojet and tank pads may also be accepted by insurers and would result in only a moderate premium increase.
Modifications that are likely to be expensive to insure are: increasing engine capacity over five per cent, custom motorcycles and nitrous oxide injection.
Commenting on the review, Devitt's Managing Director William Hughes said: "One of the most important principles underlying any kind of insurance is that all relevant information must be passed on to the insurance company. That's the only way an insurer can understand precisely what risks they're covering and calculate a fair price."http://www.devittinsurance.com/biker-zone/articles/modifications

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 29/01/2012 06:45  

Hi Deb thanks for that info, very illuminating. http://www.devittinsurance.com/biker-zone/articles/modi...ifications

Update Reply
Sandi @ 30/01/2012 06:26  

Of course the fact that if you tell your insurance company that you've made a modification mid-policy they charge you a minimum of £25 a time, is irrelevant to them... so even if they don't charge for the modification they, er, charge you for the modification...

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 30/01/2012 12:02  

So tank pads will only incur a 'moderate premium increase'.... might ring up my car insurers later and ask them how much my premium will increase if I fit door edge protectors. It says changing from the OEM tyre fitment is also a strike against you - when I changed from the factory-fitted Dunlop banana skins on my bike to Metzelers my bike's safety improved considerably and they want to penalise me for this?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/01/2012 12:21  

surely there must be cats, eg performance mods and cosmetic mods. I say f***k bennets ther,yr not the only brokers on the planet or is this all brokers, its a crazy world eh kevkool akka spaceboy4

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 30/01/2012 16:36  

Yep, I'd forgotten about 'administration fees' (not had a bike for some years now) looks like the insurers are still charging £25 for the privilege of adding a few words to a policy. Robbing 2hats! I also remember the £25 admin fee they charged me for paying in instalments, and to take it out of my bank and put it into theirs! I told them where to shove that and paid in full. I was actually going to be charged £26, I asked them what the extra £1 was for and they had no idea LOL, I was given a discount on my next insurance payment, as a goodwill gesture. Which would have been good had they not hiked up the following years premium so the discount was cancelled out

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/01/2012 01:09  

oh i the buggers are not about bikes and bikin there about squeezin as much dosh as they can out of you... a few years back carol nash hit me witha £100 quid addmin fee, just for goin from a 600cc to a 1000, i nearly fell off the floor i left CN shortly after that kevkool

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 31/01/2012 09:02  

Kev, I call that insurer Carole Gash

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/01/2012 09:44  

Ye Quite rightly gash /cash at least dick turpin wore a mask A

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 31/01/2012 18:00  

Heard some horror stories about MCE too ... So who is GOOD in the insurance industry ??

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 31/01/2012 22:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email