MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Repair dented tank.

Repair dented tank. - Forums [Biker Match] Repair dented tank. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Repair dented tank.

Ive been looking at getting an Tiger 800XC for a few weeks now, and one has just come up on ebay that I might just be able to afford. Unfortunately it is the right(ish) price due to a little damage. Does anybody know how big a job it would be to repair a dented tank? A new one from Triumph is out of the question price wise. I have only seen the pictures, so dont know how bad it is, but here is the ebay link if anybody in the know could guesstimate a repair cost for me I'd be grateful. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130601081364?ssPageName=STRK:...1423.l2649

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2011 09:05  

Think you will be looking at £150ish a good paint job will set you back £80/90 +vat at least That is one colour I haven't looked at the pic as on my phone

Update Reply
JP @ 15/11/2011 11:50  

maybe ebay a replacement tank?
dents can usually be pushed out, some easier than others.
Might even be worth considering PDR (paintless dent repair)?

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 16/11/2011 01:48  

depends on the size of the dent & location. Stuff a tyre inner tube in at the right point & inflate till it goes pop. Other than that. Its making a shoe that fits inside to where the dent is. Preferably a length of 20 mm sq bar with a ball or solid domed end that fits through the pet tank filler & push the dent out holding the sq bar in a fixed vice & holding the tank in hands. After all its only thin steel. No heat required. AJ.

Update Reply
TonyG @ 29/12/2011 19:12  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email