MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Direct Access For Over 21's

Direct Access For Over 21's - Forums [Biker Match] Direct Access For Over 21's - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Direct Access For Over 21's

Just trying to get info, ready for next year when I hope to get my bike license

I wondered if any BM members have gone down the direct access over 21's route?
If you have, how do you rate doing it this way, easier? better? worse? more expensive? etc

would love to hear your views thank you in advance

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 20:38  

I could be wrong Angel, but i am not sure they do DAS any more ?
I think it is Mod 1 and Mod 2 ??

There will be lots of people on here to fill you in and correct me if i am wrong lol x

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 08/11/2011 20:45  

Hey Pilly hun
There are some websites I've looked at that are still doing direct access, but whether they'll still be doing them next year when I'm ready I don't know.

Which way did you go when you got your bike license? xx

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 20:53  

I was a wuss and done my A2 - i was restricted to 33BHP for 2 yrs cos i didnt feel confident enough to push/ride a ''big bike'' lol - i done my test in Feb 07 x

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 08/11/2011 20:55  

Hi AC, I'm a full time direct access instructor, there will still be das couses next year run by schools, the next change is going to be on age of the candidate has to which size bike you can get a license for. 25 to do a full power test. Bigger bikes are easier to ride, once people get over any fear they may have of the size of the bike. Some school do mod1 & 2 tests on the same day, which is cheaper if you pass, but it will cost you more if you fail and some school will not book your mod 2 up until mod 1 passed. I hope this helps you and if you have any more questions, just ask. Ragnar

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 08/11/2011 21:20  

So did you have individual lessons leading up to doing your A2? excuse me if I get anything wrong as I don't know all the in's & out's when it comes to bike's
I might end up doing similar yet, I'm just trying to way all the pro's & con's up ready for next year

Is it cheaper going down the A2 route? well I mean not having to find loads of cash all in one go, like doing direct access would xx

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 21:23  

Hi Ragnar,
Thank you for the info hun, well next year I'll be 41 so don't think my age at this point makes a difference

Can I ask you, what is the cheapest way a person can do all this?

I'm trying to weigh up what the best route for me will be when the time comes.

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 21:30  

I was lucky Angel, the place i done my lessons, CBT and A2 i got to know them and i was able to pay as i went, rather than paying all in one go

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 08/11/2011 21:36  

There is no difference in the test fees so you may aswell just find a school you gel with hun. ATM the fees are £15.50 mod 1 and £75 mod 2. Maybe have an assessment session with a couple of instructors and see who you feel most confident with? If you were nearer I'd tell you to come meet Tim my instructor - slightly kookoo but lovely - I trust him completely.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/11/2011 21:38  

I see Pilly, that was good, would certainly be easier to pay as you go along as it seems like such a lot of cash in one go.

I don't even know if there is a place in Walsall to do lessons & cbt etc, I'll have to look that up. xx

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 21:40  

Hi Loobylou77
Thanks for the info hun, I haven't even done my cbt or theory test yet, so I'll have those to do & pay fro before I can go on to do MOD 1 & 2.

Yes as I would like to feel comfortable with the instructor I end up with, sounds like Tim would be a cracking instructor to have

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 21:44  

Well your theory is going to £31 and a cbt is around the £80 mark (that's how much Tim charges atm anyway). If you could get over to Telford drop me a line and I'll gladly give you him and Debs number. :-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/11/2011 21:47  

A2 is cheaper, on a A2 couse there could be upto 4 students and should take 3/4 days, if you pass. On a das couse for a novice, where I work we put you on a 125cc for two days, then on a 600cc for days 3 & 4 with the mod 1 test at the end of day 4 (you would be Mod 2 Training at the same time). If you do spilt the mod 1 & 2 up to spread the cost, the mod 1 runs out the same day has the theory test.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 08/11/2011 21:47  

Thank you Loobylou, cheers hun

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 21:55  

Ahhh interesting, thank you Ragnar, you have certainly given me food for thought

i guess it will all come down to what cash I've managed to save up when the time comes, I do like the sound of the DAS to be honest & it seems the quickest route anyway, don't know about it been the easiest

You said in your other reply, that bigger bikes are easier once your confident, I found that very interesting, as I thought the bigger the bike the harder it would be

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 22:00  

Just don't forget that a crash course is not always the best way to learn... xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/11/2011 22:03  

Thank you Loobylou I will keep that in mind

Next year I'm thinking get my cbt & theory done & out the way, then I'll decide which way to move forward from there, a lot to save for & think about.

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 22:14  

Try these sites http://www.dft.gov.uk/dsa/ http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017669 http://www.all4bikers.com/index.php http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/law.htm

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/11/2011 22:40  

With the throttle and clutch you have more control on a big bike and the tyres being wider you have more grip, which gives more confidents.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 08/11/2011 22:51  

Hi Sandi,
Thank you so much, I will check out the links

Thank you Ragnar for explaining that for me hun

Update Reply
angelcake71 @ 08/11/2011 23:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email