MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Police abusing the law(?)

Police abusing the law(?) - Forums [Biker Match] Police abusing the law(?) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Police abusing the law(?)

"Police demand riders admit to alleged offence, then decide what offence."MCN, 28 October 2011: http://bit.ly/sItSpq A valid comment by 'snave':"...knocked on my door once asking to see the rider in the blue helmet and jacket that had `ridden illegally`. I pointed out that the police had no such powers, and only a court could decide who had actually ridden illegally. I then showed them my black helmet and red jacket and asked them to f**k off nicely as the allegation was not backed by material evidence; They had misused their powers of search to illegally obtain my address, had no rights to invade the property to carry out any such search - verbally or physically - and neither officer had proof with them they were NOT colour blind... The law exists to help everyone, not just those who wish to abuse it on erither side of the justice equation. Clearly it is now beholden on the individual to KNOW the law and be able to apply it to repel illegitimate use of it by those supposedly in a position of authority."

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 29/10/2011 05:32  

Thay have always abused there powers like the police driver speeding at 155mph on the M54 and 105mph on the A5 not in an emergency at night and not with blue lights showing. The court found him not guilty of speeding

Update Reply
JP @ 29/10/2011 13:42  

which begs the age old question of who polices the police in whatever guise they present themselves??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/10/2011 15:08  

Thay are self policing lol

Update Reply
JP @ 29/10/2011 17:38  

Well being a copper and reading your views...guess i been on the wrong site all this time Way to generalise

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/10/2011 23:55  

i won't be renewing membership and i know theres other coppers on here to so now they can see how you feel about them

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2011 00:26  

It's a sad fact roughday that when items like this are brought to light the question is asked 'who polices the police' yourself being a copper should be asking the same of the justice system, 155 mph non emergency?? People will tend to generalise. In my experience I've always(almost)found the police, traffic cops included to be pretty fairminded, just so long as you play fair with them, Having said that you must agree yourself, no matter how much you scrub the barrel there will always be a scent of rotten apples

Update Reply
old red @ 30/10/2011 00:30  

I do understand how some people feel but also on the other hand if you were to come home to find you had been robbed, who would you call? Please don't tar everyone with the same brush, there are bad bikers but I would never dream calling all bikers bad!! My brother-in-law is a police inspector of traffic. He admits the worst part of his job is having to tell the familys of accident victims that their son/daughter/brother/sister/father/mother will never walk back into their arms. Please let these guys and girls do their jobs and yes I know they don't always get it right, just be grateful when they do. Also on the same note roughday, you accuse the bikers of generalising the police, in your comments you are doing the same about everyone on this site

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2011 00:50  

This article in MCN does not show the police in good light But is it a case of poor reporting or poor policing. Nothumbria certainly need to get themselves a spokesman with a little more knowlege, but it won't be the first time MCN has only published one side of a story. As a retired cop I know you cant obtain information then decide what to charge someone with but you do not have to tell the registered keeper of a vehicle the nature of an offence unless he or she was the person in charge of the vehicle at the time of the offence. As to them speeding when not going to an emergancy every job has its little perks its just some are better than others !!!!!

Update Reply
nozz @ 30/10/2011 01:23  

The 'perk' for me would have been having the blues & two's on!! dur dur dur dur whoo whoo dur dur dur

Update Reply
old red @ 30/10/2011 01:36  

Don't go roughday. We all moan about different people and road users at times, such as lorry drivers, cab drivers, bus drivers, car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and so on. This will cover just about everyone on this site. They are not all the same but it's nice to have a moan. Stick around and argue your case. All the best David

Update Reply
davidneale @ 30/10/2011 01:55  

Yes it was only fun when they never sounded like something out of Postman Pat as the most of them did and nobody ever heard them or saw you ( come to think of it that bit has not changed ). Anyway lets not get hung up on some prat of a cop who annoyed some prat of a biker and was reported by some prat of a journalist, especially when we are all so perfect

Update Reply
nozz @ 30/10/2011 01:59  

Roughday, you do a very difficult job often in difficult circumstances and I would have thought you would have thicker skin..... There is always gonna be someone who will find something wrong with the way you or you colleagues conduct yourselves... And if you think that it is always unjustified...well there in lies the problem...

I have the upmost respect for the police and a he'll of a lot of my ex marine mates are now policemen serving in all different jobs within the police, they are the first who will admit that there are bad apples and that the system isn't perfect ...

.......however it is better than any country I have ever been to..so we should be thankful for the good policemen we have......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2011 01:35  

Yes as said there are alot of hard working police out there and there are a few bad apples but just take 1 event like the M54/A5 speeding event and his defeance being I was getting use to the car and its caperbilatys and being let off. The courts need a big shake up some judges are unfit and dont live in the real world

Update Reply
JP @ 30/10/2011 09:33  

As you said earlier nozz 2 sides to every story and MCN as with most publications will only ever give the side that suits the cause. What happened to the officers in this case?? Or was it that they were found to be acting within the law? IMO for them to turn up at the address they must have traced the offending bike/rider to it only to be obstructed in their enquiries by the 'prat' opening the door, obviously for MCN not worth a follow up.

Update Reply
old red @ 30/10/2011 09:40  

Every day we have to go to work and deal with all the crap in life so you don't have to..Yes there will bit coppers out there that are idiots who make the rest of us look the same but we are Not.. So yes i do have thick skin when im at work and have to all the abuse i get when trying to make life a little better and safer for the people in my area but i joined this site over a year ago to meet and make friend with over bikers without judging them on what they do for a living. i was more annoyed by JP who i always thought to be a funny level headed bloke..when after what he had to say about coppers in another post he is welcoming a new member "Hiya Angelcake71 welcome to the site just grab a fife jackit and jump in the wathers always warm and inviting. saying that we are having a pre xmas drink on nov 26th not to far from you if you would like to come along and meet a few of us" Maybe you should have added "welcome unless your a copper"

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2011 11:50  

What are you on about I have no problem with the police its the way (some) have had the rules bent to suit them self that bothers me and you I would think that make your work so much harder if you would like to come to the xmas party and meet us I would be very pleased to say hi and chat with you. I have looked at my post and it could have been worded better but as Im a bit of a thicky it's the way I wright lol. But can you say my coments about that incident are wrong, should he have been found not giulty and are we right to feel the law was bent in this case.

Update Reply
JP @ 30/10/2011 12:00  

Hi folks been watching this thread and would like to have my say. I dont think Roughday ought to take it so serous, with lots of jobs people having a go at you is part and parcel of the job and i think its none more so than the police unfortunately, but if you look through the forums on hear i think you will see that the people who get some of the most stick are lorry drivers. Not sure if you know Roughday but JP is a lorry driver and takes all of it in his stride so perhaps you should be a little more chilled take whats said and stay on the site so you can put your side forward.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/10/2011 12:23  

"Well being a copper and reading your views...guess i been on the wrong site all this time
Way to generalise"

With all due respect, roughday, you read only TWO posts.. one of which quoted a case where a Police officer had been caught breaking the law and the other asked a legitimate question. Then You generalised and threw a hissy..
I don't believe anyone would consider that being 'thick-skinned'.

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 30/10/2011 13:07  

Like you Bill, I'm reading through the posts and felt a comment overcoming me everyone EVERYONE gets sh** comments from EVERYONE about jobs .. please don't take things too personally Roughday .. keep being a BMer and meet EVERYONE x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2011 13:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email