MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Sundays at Squires

Sundays at Squires (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Sundays at Squires (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Sundays at Squires

Dont think it's going to get changed as there will be alot of folk who like it the way it is but who knows.
Matt whats your views on the calender changing so only events that have a thread/regular Bm meetiings and the big rallys and motorcycle events are on the calender

Update Reply
JP @ 29/10/2011 17:37  

I'd like to say that as most events seem to be based miles away from where I live, it would be nice to have these added to the events list, that way I would be able to check who was going to be there. The whole idea of an events list is to put your name down if you are going to attend, then others would know you were going to be there. I for one do not like having to read through pages of small talk on the forums trying to find what time the meet is or who is going. It would be nice for me to just look on the events list on a Saturday night and see who was going to be at Squires on the Sunday.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/10/2011 23:52  

I'm actually in total agreeent with you in as much as 'dead meets' i.e those that have failed to take on any interest should be removed I myself don't want to turn up somewhere on a Sunday because it says on the calender it's a regular meet only to find nobody turns up. A couple of things I would suggest are put into place are... Attendees MUST click themselves on the 'add me to this event'... Pics should be taken and uploaded.... leaving no one in doubt that it is an 'active' event. If the above fail for 4 weeks running then the event is considered inactive & removed. The practice of starting a meet thread(such as Squires)on the forums is a good thing, if it were only for the reason of an attendees list unfortunately it never stays that way and the thread gets filled with the usual banter making it difficult to find out at times who is actually going I would much rather check the events page to see if the trip would be worthwhile.

Update Reply
old red @ 30/10/2011 00:05  

it would be a crap site if we didn't have people talking on the forums as long as it doesn't get out of hand, for me it would lose a lot of its interest so leave well alone

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/10/2011 01:03  

Nobody is talking about the forums Bill?? I have even joined in on some of the banter. What I was saying was that if I am going to ride for a few hours it would be nice to check the events page before I leave, to see who would be where and at what time.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2011 01:32  

red was talking about the forums Ellie i did't mean you sorry, but by checking the events page you dont know what time people will be there at. I was at Squires for 12.30 last Sunday but dont expect to be there till about 6ish on Saturday and although i can put the time in the forums i cant on the events page

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/10/2011 01:48  

IMO the calendar should list any event or meeting that a BM member may be interested in attending.

Wether it's a pub, cafe, camp or rally ... Why ?

Well it's hard for new people to 'get into the swing of things' sometimes, sometimes it's easier for them to attend a 'general get together' 1st rather than a ride out or camp we have arranged.

As for what is or is not a success ... If its been listed and One member goes who would not have know. About it then it's been a sucsess .

It's not a BM events calendar, it's an events calendar and if we are going to make BM 'the place to be to see what is going on in the biking community' anything or anyplace Should be listed to give new members the chance to just 'pop along and meet other members' without having to commit to a weekend away or put their name on a list and then feel like they have done something wrong if they feel for whatever reason they cannot go.

Yes squires should be listed for weekends, let peeps know what's going on, believe it or not some new bikers don't know about it! And I am sure there are many other places UK wide like Squires!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/10/2011 08:45  

The practice of starting a meet thread(such as Squires)on the forums is a good thing, if it were only for the reason of an attendees list unfortunately it never stays that way and the thread gets filled with the usual banter making it difficult to find out at times who is actually going I would much rather check the events page to see if the trip would be worthwhile. Quite right Bill I did mention the forums....Saying the idea is a good one especially regarding the times of folks arriving but personally I'd rather check the calender to see who's attending rather than trawl through 4 pages of banter & maybe/ could be/perhaps/depends on the weather, to my mind both forum & calender used together make a very good tool for decent meets.

Update Reply
old red @ 30/10/2011 09:17  

Old red yes would be great if you could just click on the events and see whos going but most dont get used so are thay dead events or is it folk go but dont say. As surgested earlyer if nobody has put a name or picks to an event over a 4 week period remove it. folk will soon start adding to the events so thay dont have there's removed then the evnts callender will show a more acurate way of judging where to go for meeting place or event

Update Reply
JP @ 30/10/2011 09:28  

You cannot restrict an event to if no one goes for 4 weeks it gets removed.

All that means is no one who is a member at that moment in time has gone, again restricting the options for new members who may come along after its been removed and think 'what's the point there is nothing going on round here'

People do attend events and put their names on after or once it has a few people going, sometimes with some places it takes a while to get things going and it's not always full members that attend so they cannot post in forums etc and listing an event or putting their name on an event is their only way to show they are going.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/10/2011 10:14  

P'haps we need two calendars?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/10/2011 10:22  

Perhaps we just need to add ourself to the events and post we are going ?

Update Reply
JP @ 30/10/2011 11:51  

Only those who are Full members will be able to post & that's if they are a Full Member who uses the forum, lots of full members dont.

Just cos there is no one going on about it in the forum doesn't mean its not happening or that no one is going.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/10/2011 12:37  

shouldn't we be encouraging more people to be full members and by having to join to put there name on a list surely this is what we are doing, after all it costs very little for people to join

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/10/2011 12:56  

Anyone at Squires this afternoon ????

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 30/10/2011 13:45  

True Bill, but not at the expense of excluding those who for one reason or another are not full members, IMO if we start going down that road its going to end up that you cannot sign up unless you pay.

Some people really cannot afford membership at the start, or cannot justify paying out for membership, after some time once they see what's going on then they will pay.

What I would hate is for the site only to be for those who can pay when for some its not that they wont pay its that they cannot afford to pay.

We cannot be jumping to assumptions about why someone does not have full membership.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/10/2011 13:49  

So even more reson for full members to add themself to events to encourage new members to become full by going along to meets where thay are sure that members are going to as it will show which meets are worth going to be it round the corner or 2 hours ride away

Update Reply
JP @ 30/10/2011 13:55  

Just cos more people are off to one event does not mean that's worth it & one with only 2 people going is not.

Thats why we should not be choosing for people what to go to & what not to go to by vetting the events that go up on the calender.

The fact its been submitted means A BM member has suggested it & therefore it is of interest, maybe not to you, but that doesnt mean it wont be to others,

We already police the Chat room with what can & cannot be said, profile pics with what can & cannot be displayed, forums with what is & is not allowed ... are we now going to police the events calender saying what is or is not a good meet to go to ??

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/10/2011 14:35  

So we leave it as is a new member rides 2 hours to a meet that is on the events calender and is sat on his/her own as nobody knows there going all I am saying is if we have an events calender add yourself when your going and if nobody is going why are thay there

Update Reply
JP @ 30/10/2011 14:52  

Yes we do, Because its an individuals choice as to what to do ... to add themselves or not ... to go even if there is no one down as going or if there are 500 down as going.

Its a persons choice as to what they will go to & not go to, & not for anyone on here to say we wont let you see this which may interest you , cos we don't think its a popular enough event to be on our calendar!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/10/2011 15:02  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email